Which docking port size do you use for refueling?

Jestersage

Putting it here because it's less "which docking port should i use so it doesn't break", but more "Which docking port would you prefer for such purpose?"

Let's start out with mine: I am trying to make a propellent depot, and as of now I can only put 1 docking port on it. That being said, I still have to debate between the Junior Docking port and the standard size docking port.

In that light, would you go with a junior size dock or standard size dock?

I would say it is all down to which docking port you tend to use on your ships the most. I tend to lean toward the standard size because I find there is more versatility in that size range. Therefore most of my ships have a standard size docking port on them. Hope that helps!

Edited by Sivako Aerospace

I like the usage of both the regular Clamp-O-Tron and the shielded variant. I only use the big boy for docking space stations and I use the Jr. in certain landers and Command module configurations.

I rarely use the inflatable one outside of space stations.

If you are only using stock then best to use the port you would use on most of your craft.

If mods allowed you should use Kerbal Attachment System mod as you can just get close and have a Kerbal spacewalk a hose across to the attachment.

I use junior ports for refuelling, usually the extending version from Flexible Docking. It has the vibe of a mid-air refuelling arm, which is a realistic way of handling routine fuel transfers between large ships (square cube law + optimisation for low mass = extremely fragile). I still also have standard-sized ports for actual crew/cargo interfaces between craft. Senior and up are generally semi-permanent structural connections for a station or ship assembled in orbit.

Edited by Rocket Witch

If it's an orbital fueling station then I put a boom on it that branches off to all three sizes so any ship I conceive of now and in the future can use it.

Generally I use jr. on probes, standard on most manned ships, but occasionally I build big ships too with sr.

I tried standardizing on jr. for all refueling, but quickly found out that even during refueling you want a solid, non-wobbly connection, so bigger ships need bigger ports.

Edited by Xavven

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.