Help with texturing

Hi, this is my first time making any kind of KSP mod of any sort. It's a custom engine, I have modeled it and I am ready to texture. I have tried texturing with blender's texture paint tool, but was advised against it, and I was painting all the individual meshes with different textures. I tried exporting the UV map and putting it into a seperate file, but I can't tell which parts or which. I'm also not sure how I would go about making shiny parts or rough parts.

If your using Blender in version 2.8 they apparently (haven't use it myself yet) added the ability to select multiple objects and unwrap them all together. Previously (Blender 2.79) there was a TextureAtlas plugin that I found very useful. For figuring out which part is which I sometimes just color each part in a unique color - see where they end up on the model - then go back an recolor (I use Gimp by the way - free download). Another way is to have Blender open in UV mode and select the part you want to color next - the part will be the only one to appear on the UV map. As far as shiny/rough goes - it depends on what shader you use - some have shiny in the alpha channel, some have a specular texture, others don't have the option or have a slider (I think). Roughness and small detail (bolts, seams, etc.) can be achieved with a shader that has a bump-map or normal texture. If you create a material in Unity and set it to use a KSP shader you'll see some areas for the textures - off to the left (I writing this from memory so may be a bit off) there's something like "RGB(A)" or "Specular" - these tell you what the texture will use the various values for.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.