NewtSoup

Of course I know how to do mining.

A Convertotron 250
A Drill
Some Ore Tanks
Some Fuel tanks
Some Power
Some Cooling 

What I want to do is fine tune this though.  Given a surface percentage of 13.6% ( my spot on minmus ) How many drills do I need to feed a convertotron 250 doing a single conversion?  I think I can ignore the level of the engineer as it's just a multiplier and affects both convertotrons and drills equally.

1 hour ago, NewtSoup said:

Given a surface percentage of 13.6% ( my spot on minmus ) How many drills do I need to feed a convertotron 250 doing a single conversion? 

I get lost in calculations, formulas and I don't know how really mining works but looking at wiki, it says:
https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/'Drill-O-Matic'_Mining_Excavator#Uses

While the drill is active, it extracts ore depending on the type of celestial body, the ore concentration in the area, the core temperature and the presence and level of an engineer on-board. The ore extraction rate is B·c·T·m where:

• "B" is the base rate of 1.5 ore/s on a moon or planet surface and 5.0 ore/s on an asteroid.
  • "c" is the local ore concentration between 0 and 100%
  • "T" is the thermal efficiency displayed in the drill menu (100% at 500K, less at higher or lower temperatures).
  • "m" is the multiplier supplied by the level of the highest level engineer on-board. These are as follows:
Level Multiplier
No Engineer 5%
☆☆☆☆☆ 25%
★☆☆☆☆ 45%
★★☆☆☆ 65%
★★★☆☆ 85%
★★★★☆ 105%
★★★★★ 125%

The drill displays B·c as "Ore rate" and T·m as "X% load". The effective ore generation rate can be calculated by multiplying those two values.

Note: charge used = T·m·15 = "X% load"·15 /s. Hence it varies greatly, scaling up gradually with thermal efficiency (as the drill core warms up), then from 0.75 /s with no engineer to 18.75 /s with a 5 star engineer (while at 100% thermal efficiency, on a planetary body). Asteroid harvesting mode consumes a flat 1.5/s under all circumstances (while there is space to store ore).

So, idk maybe you are able to calculate it yourself, or just wait for someone who knows.

Edited by antipro

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.