Kerbal Space Program - Enhanced Edition Update

StarSlay3r

56 minutes ago, uncle grim said:

Its a shame this game has great potential to get a great many interested in space flight/ travel. But anyone not on PC gets the short end of the stick every time.  If getting us up to 1.11 /.12  is a pipe dream. So too is the game not crashing. Can we get that fixed. If nothing else. Because not being able to fully use robotics kal controller or anything else, repairs kits n such means nothing  if I'm getting blue screen and corrupted data spammed. 

I think you may be imagining the PC experience as smoother than it is.  I have never been able to get robotics to work reliably across multiple scene changes. Eventually the kraken cometh.

And crashing is certainly not just a console thing.

I do think you can probably anticipate a better console experience in KSP2 when it gets there as the devs will be applying many lessons learned devving KSP current.  But you might need a console upgrade at that point

2 hours ago, darthgently said:

I think you may be imagining the PC experience as smoother than it is.  I have never been able to get robotics to work reliably across multiple scene changes. Eventually the kraken cometh.

And crashing is certainly not just a console thing.

I do think you can probably anticipate a better console experience in KSP2 when it gets there as the devs will be applying many lessons learned devving KSP current.  But you might need a console upgrade at that point

I watch live streams from PC Gamers all the time I've yet to see them crash seven times in a row just from switching from the space tracking station to the Space Center

49 minutes ago, uncle grim said:

I watch live streams from PC Gamers all the time I've yet to see them crash seven times in a row just from switching from the space tracking station to the Space Center

Is the console running hot?  I haven't played KSP on console, but I've watched streams of console play and that seems like a lot of crashing, more than normal.  Could be old heat sink paste allowing it to overheat, or dust bunnies in the air flow works

I still don't understand how everyoen has their game constantly crashing on ps4. I played playstation ksp on console for months with 1 or 2 crashes on rockets that were real krakenbait. I get wanting 1.12 and 1.11, but I've neer had any issue with crashing.

11 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

I still don't understand how everyoen has their game constantly crashing on ps4. I played playstation ksp on console for months with 1 or 2 crashes on rockets that were real krakenbait. I get wanting 1.12 and 1.11, but I've neer had any issue with crashing.

I'm imagining consoles full of dust bunnies overheating

15 hours ago, darthgently said:

I'm imagining consoles full of dust bunnies overheating

Actually no I take good care of my PlayStation it's in a nonsmoking room with regular cleanings every other month it is not overheating.the game crashes anytime there's an auto save the game will lock up crash go straight to blue screen anytime you transfer from the tracking station to the Space Center or the Space Center to the tracking station or try to switch to flights blue screens throttle up blue screen trying to go through the atmosphere blue screen. Nine times out of 10 most people chiming  in and trying to say oh it's your console are actually PC players just trying to stir the pot.  And ask for Mr PlayStation who's never had a crash you must be full of it due to the fact that this game is on PlayStation's automatic refund list when you ask for it and if it wasn't for the fact that I only paid eight bucks for the game cuz I got it on sale I would have got the refund but I rather keep the game and just complain until it's fixed. 

Still, I think the issue you are having sounds hardware, not software, related.  It seems highly correlated with writes to storage.  What does your console have? An internal solid state drive? Are you saving to stick via USB?  I bet it is solvable, though maybe not worth solving depending.  But sure, KSP has bugs.  What you describe however seems uncommon

22 minutes ago, darthgently said:

Then count your blessings and light those candles, by golly.  The real potential killer is dust bunnies plus high humidity

What is this thing called "humidity"? I live in a desert.

Hey aero and fellow ps4 goers .. sorry I've been away a while. Like you aero I got bored of the constant crashing and reverted to buying on steam on my old gaming laptop. I personally really prefer KSP on console, but it was never ever designed for it. KSP 2 will undoubtedly be a better game I disagree with the earlier comments here. But what we need to realise is that the dev team on ps4 enhanced edition is a skeleton crew and likely will get our update but by the time KSP2 is on early access on PC.

Ive done a fair amount of logging bugs, never got any official responses and tracking the issues on the game and even gave the Devs access to this tracker. I suggested I would be happy to install monitoring for them if they wanted and no response.

I've come to the conclusion that there is a point in any career where the game simply gives up. If you start a new career it is highly likely you will get 5 hours gameplay without a single crash. The official support narrative was to flash my ps4 and reinstall everything, and I did that .. started my old save (yes I worked out how to get it saved to a usb stick) and still got the same crash frequency. I then started a new career and played it until about level 4 on the tech tree, i.e about the time of visiting eve and jool with small probes... And this is when I believe you start seeing problems start. I destroyed all my asteroid mappers in the off chance it was this causing the crashes when switching to the map, alas no dice. 

The support guys frankly weren't interested, and said that they themselves play the game fine without issue. So, as had been suggested I believe there is a common similarity with those of us that get the issues and those that don't. So, if those that don't get the issues are in long careers past level 4 and have presence around several kerbol bodies then the only possiblity comes down to a technical difference between our consoles. Fyi... It should be noted that there has been next to no reports of issues on the Xbox... Which kinda validates the conclusion. 

So, I'm going to suggest that we all share our ps4 stats, I believe that older ps4 PRO models may be the centre of the problem... That's my hunch. I'll document them all if we can all share? 

It should be noted that irrespective of the update coming, this game is and has been simply brilliant, I am excited for KSP 2 as it has been developed in a much more controlled way and looks so good. Let's face it KSP was only ever a bit of a throw of mud at the wall to see what stuck.

Lastly, as this issue is highly likely to be hardware based we must appreciate there will be no amount of updates that the development team could do to remove the problem. Hence, in the end I have given up... Leaving Jeb forever on Eve in a tiny can waiting indefinitely for noone to come rescue him.... :(

That all said and done... I think I want to have a go tonight and see how long I get ;) I'll update. 

On 11/17/2022 at 3:42 PM, uncle grim said:

Also its hard to quick save when every blue screen corrupts data. And you lose all info up to last cloud save.  That does not happen when you save the game right away.  I loose up to 2 hours of game play every time. 

Are you guys all on slack?  I feel we could maybe get together on a slack channel to track our issues. You up for this? 

Re. Corrupt data, should always be recovered back to the last persistent save in my experience. There was only ever one time that it couldn't recover my save file, and I think this was more to do with the fact it was a save game before the previous update. 

On 11/17/2022 at 12:43 AM, darthgently said:

Still, I think the issue you are having sounds hardware, not software, related.  It seems highly correlated with writes to storage.  What does your console have? An internal solid state drive? Are you saving to stick via USB?  I bet it is solvable, though maybe not worth solving depending.  But sure, KSP has bugs.  What you describe however seems uncommon

Yeh I am totally on the same thought process. I'm going to ask Santa for a SSD or buy a second hand ps4 (newer version)... Or even a ps5 ( as not a sole seems to report issues on that platform either) 

On 11/17/2022 at 12:43 AM, darthgently said:

Yeh I am totally on the same thought process. I'm going to ask Santa for a SSD or buy a second hand ps4 (newer version)... Or even a ps5 ( as not a soul seems to report issues on that platform either) 

Another thing to say, I have also experienced the same class of ps4 blue screen error once or twice from BBC iPlayer and prime video once... So this does leave me to also think it's something outside of the game code itself. 

Ps4 pro ssd 2tb. its the ONLY game that has any data corrupt issues.  I play build and rts games not one has corrupt data after a blue screen, some loss time for sure till last save.  But no corrupt. Also tried on other systems in the house same issues with data corruption.  So you can check its your system off.  Even on a 6mo out of the box ps4 pro.  Its a memory leak that is console specific. There are some cues I've noticed to Prior this happening suddenly pieces are missing from your build mid-flight just they're gone they were there when you took off then no explosion nothing on your flight list stating they were destroyed just gone then the game goes oh no there was something supposed to be there everything locks up blue screen go to reload the game and get a corrupted data warning.  Even if you catch that they're missing and you want to put it back on and revert flight doing that can cause a crash the majority of the time.  

Even tho the year is almost done and pretty much no chance left of geting an update. I still have hope for an update, even if its just before ksp2 (possibly ksp2 console) , at least we get to enjoy our overdue updates. (seriously tho almost 2/3 years we've ben waiting, let's hope that ksp2 console won't be like this).

17 hours ago, uncle grim said:

Ps4 pro ssd 2tb. its the ONLY game that has any data corrupt issues.  I play build and rts games not one has corrupt data after a blue screen, some loss time for sure till last save.  But no corrupt. Also tried on other systems in the house same issues with data corruption.  So you can check its your system off.  Even on a 6mo out of the box ps4 pro.  Its a memory leak that is console specific. There are some cues I've noticed to Prior this happening suddenly pieces are missing from your build mid-flight just they're gone they were there when you took off then no explosion nothing on your flight list stating they were destroyed just gone then the game goes oh no there was something supposed to be there everything locks up blue screen go to reload the game and get a corrupted data warning.  Even if you catch that they're missing and you want to put it back on and revert flight doing that can cause a crash the majority of the time.  

Yeh true. i play Cities Skylines and that is a monster graphics wise. It causes the ps4 to go very loud, but I've never once had a crash from it. What is the blue screen error you get? Is it the generic C-0xxxxxx error? Basically roughly translated to, "something went wrong but the program has not been designed to tell me anything else"

On 11/16/2022 at 3:57 AM, Rutabaga22 said:

Hey Rutabaga, can you please post some information about your setup. It looks to me like you in fact may hold the key. If you seriously don't get any crashes in this game then we need to know why.... Cus actually you are in the minority it seems :(

6 minutes ago, Ande said:

Yeh true. i play Cities Skylines and that is a monster graphics wise. It causes the ps4 to go very loud, but I've never once had a crash from it. What is the blue screen error you get? Is it the generic C-0xxxxxx error? Basically roughly translated to, "something went wrong but the program has not been designed to tell me anything else"

Hey Rutabaga, can you please post some information about your setup. It looks to me like you in fact may hold the key. If you seriously don't get any crashes in this game then we need to know why.... Cus actually you are in the minority it seems :(

I really don't know, I just have a ps4 light. I don't have a lot of games downloaded on it and it's not super clean.

On 11/25/2022 at 1:30 PM, Rutabaga22 said:

I really don't know, I just have a ps4 light. I don't have a lot of games downloaded on it and it's not super clean.

If I send you my save file it might prove one way or the other 

@Rutabaga22 can you tell me the model number of your ps4 please?  

instructions https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/hardware/ps4-find-serial-and-model-numbers/#:~:text=The model number is located,the bottom of the chassis.

On 11/24/2022 at 7:38 PM, uncle grim said:

I had a crash earlier today when I tested. I got about an hour of play and then tried to load a save and it crashed.. loaded and said data corrupt and then rebuilt it and recovered to where I was... So I think there's something in the way it's storing to hard disk on saves, could be your issue with the missing parts is when it's trying to autosave. ... I think this is the problem. I'd love to turn off autosave but it's hard coded.