How hard can rocket science be anyway? (I try RO-RSS)

Update 1:

I know nothing cubed about how to play ro/rss! But, I am learning!

Here is my first launch just to test that this realism overhaul thing works:

PwBZWjC.png

4 srbs, 3 decouplers, 1 explorer 1 probe and a rtg...

K85gJK6.png

Went about as well as you'd expect. :D 

Some things in life are easy, some things are not:

ZM3j24h.png

10KhOQQ.png

jvfVoLW.png

D4IXAuv.png

6VZUdVf.png

Getting sub-orbital was easy. :D I shattered my goal of going sub-orbital before the end of October this year. I mostly copied the design from the first episode of Beardy Penguin and N9 gaming's excellent for all kerbalkind series.

Getting to orbit, was hard, and I haven't done it, but here are my abominations of attempts:

5l0ZkHO.png

ayfQJ1G.png

vjF0IYD.png

UoRIiQa.png

M9thKuJ.png

4TvlxxI.png

Basically, it's 3 space shuttle srbs and some other srbs taped together into one bouquet of boosters, it flies surprisingly well.

2iPsoFg.png

I'm not even sure what I was thinking with this one.

yWJrkGo.png

kfKunVh.png

kvtSrTr.png

This one, on the other hand, did not fly surprisingly well. ;) 

J2d8dxv.png

So, what have I learned? First off, I have acquired a more accurate sense of the energy difference between orbital and sub-orbital flights, and second, I have learnt that I have a lot left to learn, I already knew that, but I hadn't understood the exact amount. :D 

Next step, is to download the craft files for ro/rss, and try to use them, or maybe not, find out next time on how hard can it be....

Here we go again!

6s7XQlw.png

3GoQ8Eh.png

Q76OzlY.png

Staging is intentional.

i41c5V5.png

That's not gone well!

Q8Nmfwi.png

Smooth recovery...

1mGqYbN.png

Kerblamo!

T0Dnvvu.png

Staging tuned for decent twr.

u0gUx1p.png

The thing exploded so fast, you'd think we triggered the flight termination system!

w375Qyg.png

Debris keeps falling on my head, keeps falling on my head...

Well, that's it for today, I think I'm going to take break from RO for now (slang for giving up, until I inevitably try again). I'm going to go play regular modded 1.12.2 ksp and read eyes turned skyward (the alternate history, not the romance novel) and maybe even finish reading Mostly Harmless (the 5th part in the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy "trilogy"). 

Edit: been reading the expanse books actually, at book 2 now...

Edited by Hyperspace Industries
Oh, by the way, if anybody can give me a craft file for a RO orbital launcher, please do, I'll do my best to reverse engineer it.

First time I tried RSS, I put together a rocket that had the delta-V for stock Kerbin, launched it.. and fell wildly short of orbit. Turned on infinite fuel to see just how far short I was and watched the rocket gain another 6km/s before making orbit, at which point I said “nope”and deleted all things RSS from my computer for well over a year. Getting things right in RSS/RO(/RP-1) is more of an achievement than stock, but the challenge is also much greater and requires a lot more planning and less winging it, more payload optimisation to shed every last unnecessary gram and less “MOAR BOOSTERZ!!!!1!ONE!1” to brute force your way through.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/27/2021 at 1:49 AM, Fletch4 said:

i wish i had the guts(and the computer) to play with ro/rss installed.

My "lil' laptop that can" soldiers through it with many lag spikes, and I don't have the guts necessary for RO, I'm just not fully aware of the danger yet. :D 

Also, I tried once again, and failed because I don't know how to use an interstage.

lEcyTAA.png

Hope 1, more like Nope 1!

TLbJyuJ.png

usQcjnY.png

9lKLdBh.png

VsFlH2H.png

Mi0gW33.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.