How to make KSP use lesser RAM?

I usually play ksp a lot! But the problem is it using too much RAM! I can't even open my browser cuz it would use up all remaining memories and crash the System. Many people said that add the -force-opengl to the shortcut but everytime I switch from the game to the desktop it just automaticly crash. Same thing happen with -force-glcore. I haven't try -force-d3d11 though but my GPU's DirectX version is 12 so it should able to run DirectX 11 right? If I do that what is the impact? I currently install 

ClickThroughBlocker, ToolbarControl, FMRS, KER, ModularFlightIntergrator, RecoveryController, StationPartsExpansionRedux, ZeroMiniAVC, ModuleManager and 2 Expansion Pack!

Edited by jeb10

Sadly unity seems to have issues with garbage disposal, leading to massive ram buildup.  That and for a very long time there has been a persistent memory leak in the game compounding the already inefficient operation of unity (or at least its implementation in KSP).

Your best bet imo is to use this util:

Ive had very good results over the years with it, and it does cut down the ram useage (you might want to play with the settings in the cfg file to make it more agressive at clearing then default). 

pvm3Hoy.png

Scatterer+EVE alone is alot of ram (due to massive res cloud layers i tend to use in my SciFiVE version of EVE) and i just cant play KSP for long without those 2 mods, so i end up using this to help try and counteract the memory leaks (i have 16gigs so its normally fine, but KSP will slowly go from 3gig to 10gig and get extremely sluggish by that point).  My only true fix is to restart the game when it becomes unbearable loading times, but the memory fix above will delay that by a considerable amount provided i dont do too many scene changes (reverting constantly will make the game run like dogshat eventually nomatter what mods i have to fix ram use)...

Still, if you run alot of mods, nothing is really going to solve your problem.  I know the station parts pack (assuming its the one im thinking of with the centrifuges and 3.75m station command bridge among other things)) is HUGE on ram since that pack has some amazing but high poly textures/models.  If you dont use every single part in that mod it may be helpful to delete the parts you dont like/use to free up a bit of ram, or even delete the IVAs as i believe those are massive resource use since they are so detailed compared to stock IVAs.  Still, try the above momory fix, and see if its enough for you to play the game.

There is some hope that KSP2 will fix or at least improve performance, but until that is released we have to deal with KSP's many problems...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.