Have you ever landed a Kerbal on its feet under personal chute?

I've always wondered whether a stand-up landing can be done.

If it is possible, what is the technique??

(I now have a range of craft that use a self "bail-out" operation for Kerbals to land safely, so I've been performing a lot of landings under personal chute; which is why I now (finally) ask.)

1 hour ago, Hotel26 said:

I've always wondered whether a stand-up landing can be done.

If it is possible, what is the technique??

yes, I just tried right now, without a particular technique, other than slowing down a few meters from the ground.
or maybe I didn't understand the question well..

19 minutes ago, antipro said:

or maybe I didn't understand the question well..

My question was quite ambiguous but, after I had written it, I didn't know how to correct it...  Sorry about that!

IRL an experienced jumper, using a "sport parachute" (the type the Kerbals use) will very usually land on his or her feet -- and stay on foot.  I.e. not tuck-and-roll (tumble), nor having then to get back up on one's feet and brush the dirt off.  :)

As I recall, those chutes had a typical flying speed of 35 mph.  So the technique requires the jumper to "flare" for the landing to kill most of the forward speed.

I can come very close to a touch-down, staying upright, but can never quite do it.  The Kerbal always collapses in a heap and then has to get up.

Edited by Hotel26

45 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

a "sport parachute" (the type the Kerbals use)

I call that "airfoil parachute" or "aerodynamic parachute" or "wing parachute".

So the technique requires the jumper to "flare" for the landing to kill most of the forward speed.

are you still talking about IRL? Cause I've just seen a YT video where a guy landed by only acting on the strings, modifying the shape of the wing, without therefore having to "flare". ok maybe in the following video, the wind has helped him a bit, but I'm quite sure it is possible to do it.

I can come very close to a touch-down, staying upright, but can never quite do it.  The Kerbal always collapses in a heap and then has to get up.

I know what you mean, I never use parachutes in game or IRL, but if you turn 180° or 360° just before landing you can kill the speed without increase the altitude.

these are my last 3 tries: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xuyrk72fd14ixbk/2021-09-26 08-41-54_edit.mkv?dl=0

Edited by antipro

On 9/26/2021 at 2:51 PM, antipro said:

the wind has helped him a bit

Yes, compare with

Knowing that it can be done in KSP helps a lot (motivationally), but I still haven't pulled it off.

I'll keep trying though.  It seems all about horizontal motion < 1 m/s not more than about 1m or so above the ground.

Edited by Hotel26

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.