Probe not working

I built a deep space mother ship + probe, I want to have the mother ship up in orbit controlling the probe. It doesn't work no matter what type of antenna i stick on either crafts, WHYY?
I don't have a relay network connecting Kerbin and the mothership, though why would I need one? I'm controlling the probe with the mothership right?

Screenshot: https://ibb.co/zrZTCjh

On 9/26/2021 at 7:39 AM, PunyRice said:

I don't have a relay network connecting Kerbin and the mothership, though why would I need one? I'm controlling the probe with the mothership right?

right, but I think you need two pilots into the mothership. or 1 pilot and a probe core.
the mothership need relay antenna.
https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Probe_Control_Point#Requirements

Probe control point

• Command module capable to function as Probe Control Point
  • At least 1 Pilot on board (depends on the Command module, see table below)
  • Relay Antenna

Remote ship

• A probe or command pod with the "remote pilot assist available" feature
  • If it's a command pod, a capable kerbal (scientist or engineer) must be aboard
  • Any antenna to establish the CommNet link

I've just tested myself with 1 pilot+probe core and with 2 pilots only and it works but I've never tried with the Remote Ship as a Command Pod.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5r6350lzme7isy/2021-09-26 10-06-37.mkv?dl=0

So if I'm not wrong, based on your ss, you have to switch antennae, the relay on the "Mothership" and any antenna on the "remote ship",
and replace the
"Mk1 Command Pod" with a "Mk1-3 Command Pod" or "Mk2 Lander Can", using 2 pilots or 1 pilot+probe core.

Edited by antipro

On 9/26/2021 at 7:39 AM, PunyRice said:

I'm controlling the probe with the mothership right?

No, you can't. The Mk2 command pod does not have the capability to control probes. For that you need the Mk1-3 Command Pod, the Mk2 Lander Can, the Munar Excursion Module, or one of the two Remote Guidance units on the piloted vessel.

4 hours ago, PunyRice said:

my Mk2 command pod has a pilot and a scientist inside too

Have a look at the table on the wiki page that @antipro mentioned. If you use only a command pod you will need two pilots to control probes from the craft.

On 9/26/2021 at 9:31 AM, antipro said:

I've just tested myself with 1 pilot+probe core and with 2 pilots only and it works but I've never tried with the Remote Ship as a Command Pod.

Your piloted craft has the RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit on board, so it works with only one pilot. Without that you would need two pilots in the Mk1-3 Command Pod.

Edited by AHHans

45 minutes ago, AHHans said:

Your piloted craft has the RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit on board, so it works with only one pilot. Without that you would need two pilots in the Mk1-3 Command Pod.

ok, ye that's correct but isn't it exactly what I've said?
I said "I've just tested myself with 1 pilot+probe core and with 2 pilots only" and "using 2 pilots or 1 pilot+probe core"
it was implicit that I didn't assembly the RC-001S on top of the MK1-3 when I've tested it with 2 pilots.

so, ok no problem, thx for your clarification.

Edited by antipro

correction:
I said "
replace the "Mk1 Command Pod", but I was wrong: in the 1st ss, I recognized the Mk2 as an Mk1 Pod.
I have no DLC so I've never see it before and by the way it looks like an Mk1. I apologize.

Anyway, now I have a question concerning the DLC Pods, such as Mk2 and M.E.M.:
If I buy Making History, will I be able to use these pods in career mode like any other part,
or they can be used only in stand-alone missions, like those ESA ones?

Edited by antipro

On 9/26/2021 at 3:31 AM, antipro said:

right, but I think you need two pilots into the mothership. or 1 pilot and a probe core.
the mothership need relay antenna.
https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Probe_Control_Point#Requirements

Probe control point

• Command module capable to function as Probe Control Point
  • At least 1 Pilot on board (depends on the Command module, see table below)
  • Relay Antenna

Remote ship

• A probe or command pod with the "remote pilot assist available" feature
  • If it's a command pod, a capable kerbal (scientist or engineer) must be aboard
  • Any antenna to establish the CommNet link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5r6350lzme7isy/2021-09-26 10-06-37.mkv?dl=0

So if I'm not wrong, based on your ss, you have to switch antennae, the relay on the "Mothership" and any antenna on the "remote ship",
and replace the
"Mk1 Command Pod" with a "Mk1-3 Command Pod" or "Mk2 Lander Can", using 2 pilots or 1 pilot+probe core.

5 hours ago, AHHans said:

No, you can't. The Mk2 command pod does not have the capability to control probes. For that you need the Mk1-3 Command Pod, the Mk2 Lander Can, the Munar Excursion Module, or one of the two Remote Guidance units on the piloted vessel.

Have a look at the table on the wiki page that @antipro mentioned. If you use only a command pod you will need two pilots to control probes from the craft.

Thank you that was the reason why, I didn't know only the Mk1-3 Command Pod, the Mk2 Lander Can, the Munar Excursion Module, or one of the two Remote Guidance units can control probes, I thank the both of you for helping :)

17 hours ago, antipro said:

ok, ye that's correct but isn't it exactly what I've said?

Hmm.... Er... Now that you mention it... :blush:

13 hours ago, antipro said:

If I buy Making History, will I be able to use these pods in career mode like any other part,
or they can be used only in stand-alone missions, like those ESA ones?

They are normal parts in the tech tree. So for career and science modes you need to unlock them first but after that you can include them in your designs like any other part. (Same for the BG parts btw.)

6 minutes ago, AHHans said:

you can include them in your designs like any other part.

Thanks for this confirmation, I've asked it cause long time ago, I read a negative Steam review regarding MH DLC.
This Steam user was talking about that limitation, but it was obviously false.

I'm fine, I'll buy them on the next sales, especially for the MEM.

ok I stop to derail from the main thread subject.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.