Foundation

Gargamel

I read the series by Asimov 15, 20? years ago, and remember enjoying it then, even if it seemed like a tedious drag at times.   I remember some people talking in some sort of library over and over, and some space battles, maybe.   Beyond that I don't recall a thing, other than the general premise of an empire falling and rebuilding.   So I don't come into this with any expectations tied to a book that is obviously hard to adapt to the screen.

The casting seems great.  I love Jared Harris in just about everything he's done, and Lee Pace plays characters that are really nice guys you love to hate, but does them well. 

So far though, 2 episodes in, the plot seems to jump around a bit, be rushed at times, and overly dragged out others.   But overall the story seems ok.   It's good enough that I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Nyrath has signed off on it, and he's just about the biggest Foundation fan I know.

I'm being cautiously optimistic about it, and assume much of the "chaos" in the first couple episodes will tie back into future ones. This is a pretty big story, and while I don't remember all of it, I'm ok with what they've shown us so far. 

• 4 weeks later...

6 in so far.... meh.   I'm enjoying it, it's not bad, but....    They never really get anywhere in each episode, but they always seem to end on a cliff hanger that gets easily resolved in a couple minutes next episode.    

I like it, it's good so far, but I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to watch it, but if you have the time where you can binge it, go ahead. 

its very watchable thus far. but i dont know how it will hold up. its a show that is going to need to jump around a lot in time, possibly every season or a couple times a season. whether or not its good in the long run really depends on how well it handles the time jumps. especially if those jumps cause a lot of cast rotations. i find shows with a lot of cast changeups to be rather tedious to watch. its part of the reason why the walking dead and its spinoffs have become kind of pointless for me, i still watch them, but its not something il watch a second time (meanwhile ive watched the expanse at least 4 or 5 times). game of thrones was also hard to watch due to cast rotations (nobody had plot armor in that one) and will not be watched a second time, nor will i care about its spinoffs (i only watched it because scifi tv was kind of in a drought when it came out). i worry foundation is going to have a really good first season and then drop the ball in subsequent seasons (got did this in a bad way). 

Edited by Nuke

56 minutes ago, Nuke said:

its very watchable thus far

I'm enjoying it. don't get me wrong, I just feel each episode we aren't actually getting anywhere.   I think I would be much happier if I could sit down and binge it, instead of having to wait a week. 

18 hours ago, Gargamel said:

I'm enjoying it. don't get me wrong, I just feel each episode we aren't actually getting anywhere.   I think I would be much happier if I could sit down and binge it, instead of having to wait a week. 

I'm enjoying it too but if someone told you they were at the episode that ended where the squad from the barbarian empire was about to attack the city for the first time, you'd have like 3 guesses (out of 7 episodes so far).

The most recent episode was good though. Plot actually happened :)

Edited by Superfluous J

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.