Jump to content

List your favorate KSP 1 mods that should be stock in 2.0


Recommended Posts

I can't find if this was not done already.   Please list your favorite mods that are good enough to be stock for everyone.

Here is my list of KSP 1 mods that I think are good enough to be stock.

Use Multi-CPU core physics. Put those 16 logical cores to good use.

Tweak Scale:  Should not be so hard to double the size of something all else equal. This makes larger or smaller rockets a lot easier.

KAS/KIS :  KSP 1.11 has a basic attachment system/inventory, but the mod is still better

MechJeb:  KSP has basic maneuvering, but the mod is still a lot better. Possible now here on Earth. Futuristic Kerbals should be able to do this.

USI Life Support/OKS/MKS : This was already discussed in the forum for 2.0. There needs to be some life support for long trips, but the devs also don't want forgotten kerblals dying.

SpaceY/Modular Rocket Systems:  Makes building large rockets a lot easier

Cryogenic Engines and tanks: I think this is already planned

Near Future engines/reactors/nuclear storage.  I think this is already planned.

KSP Interstellar Extended: This one is BIG. It not only adds engines (electric/thermal/charged particles) and reactors (fission and fusion), but in a very correct physics way with different materials having different characteristics(half-life/propellants/burn-time, etc) and needing to solve issues like waste heat and depleted fuel removal. There is also beam power which allows a large power station to beam power to smaller ships with a lot more power than solar. Different frequencies have different characteristics and the lasers can relay/mirror like the comm relays. When KSP 2.0 starts getting high-tech, the science must remain real without getting  magically good. This will be difficult to keep the physics/science real without getting magical. 

Chatterer:  Kerbals need to talk sometimes. I don't care if they sound Russian or Spanish.

Free IVA:  Lets kerbals walk around inside spaceships in 1st person and 3rd person while having realistic gravity. Kerbals also need some daily routine to move from sleeping to working to dining. This was done in the Sims 20 years ago, can't be too hard.

Galaxies Unbound: Adding star systems already planned.

EDIT:   Alcubierre Warp Drive:   No Plan

Robotic Arms:  Guessing planned, but I didn't see yet.

Scatterer/EVE:  Looks like some of these features are going to KSP 2.0

Edited by enewmen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, enewmen said:

Lets kerbals walk around inside spaceships in 1st person and 3rd person while having realistic gravity. Kerbals also need some daily routine to move from sleeping to working to dining. This was done in the Sims 20 years ago, can't be too hard.

I'm a big fan of the IVA experience, but I don't expect KSP2 to support more or less the same level of IVA support as the first game. 

I'd be happy with getting IVA's with more dials, switches, and interactive elements (like RPM) but walking around in my self-made Galactic Star Cruiser might be too much, especially in a game more about going places.

 

12 hours ago, enewmen said:

Tweak Scale:  Should not be so hard to double the size of something all else equal. This makes larger or smaller rockets a lot easier.

I believe some parts will be procedural, others wont be, such as wings and fairings. 

 

12 hours ago, enewmen said:

MechJeb:  KSP has basic maneuvering, but the mod is still a lot better. Possible now here on Earth. Futuristic Kerbals should be able to do this.

think KSP2 will allow Kerbals to more or less "fly themselves" to cut down on repetitive gameplay. This wont be Mech Jeb, but actual Jeb performing tasks as the actual pilot. 

I think there is a fine balance between the game doing everything for you, and the game helping you cut down on doing everything. I'm sure whatever "mechjeb-like" autopilot is added will find a solid balance between those two, since we are talking about the main gameplay ;D

 

 

Its also worth keeping in mind, KSP 1 eventually got some useful mods integrated directly into the game. So its not like popular mods can't be integrated over time into the stock game.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can go line by line and say if something was discussed, but I won't. But one thing was said in the very beginning of the KSP2 project; "no warp drives". The Alcubierre Warp drive will never be stock and be a mod only. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

I can go line by line and say if something was discussed, but I won't. But one thing was said in the very beginning of the KSP2 project; "no warp drives". The Alcubierre Warp drive will never be stock and be a mod only. 

Fixed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems all features in KSP 2.0 was decided a long time ago. A wish-list like this is now inappropriate. People also voiced to keep KSP simple.  But I still have some concerns even if KSP remains simple.

From the very beginning, KSP should scale easily even if it is kept simple. 

Will the parts be procedural and easily scalable?  Will the physics scale to multiple CPUs? Can new fuels and propellants be added easily and have different types (solid,liquid, gas, plasma)? Will nuclear physics be added to make adding new reactors/engines/fuels/reactions/coolants possible ?    This way it will be a lot easier if others wanted to add features. For example, changing  or adding weather is difficult if weather never existed.

I can go on. But as a programmer, I know some designs are too difficult to change after the project is completed and would require re-making everything from scratch.  Maybe little/no scalability is by design?  Ok, I'll keep quiet.

Edited by enewmen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ASET  Props/RPM. Stock IVA's are hella boring in KSP1 without mods so it would be nice if the IVA's in KSP 2 are more detailed and interesting to add to the realism factor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2021 at 9:38 PM, enewmen said:

I can't find if this was not done already.   Please list your favorite mods that are good enough to be stock for everyone.

Here is my list of KSP 1 mods that I think are good enough to be stock.

Use Multi-CPU core physics. Put those 16 logical cores to good use.

Tweak Scale:  Should not be so hard to double the size of something all else equal. This makes larger or smaller rockets a lot easier.

KAS/KIS :  KSP 1.11 has a basic attachment system/inventory, but the mod is still better

MechJeb:  KSP has basic maneuvering, but the mod is still a lot better. Possible now here on Earth. Futuristic Kerbals should be able to do this.

SpaceY/Modular Rocket Systems:  Makes building large rockets a lot easier

Cryogenic Engines and tanks: I think this is already planned

Near Future engines/reactors/nuclear storage.  I think this is already planned.

Chatterer:  Kerbals need to talk sometimes. I don't care if they sound Russian or Spanish.

Free IVA:  Lets kerbals walk around inside spaceships in 1st person and 3rd person while having realistic gravity. Kerbals also need some daily routine to move from sleeping to working to dining. This was done in the Sims 20 years ago, can't be too hard.

Galaxies Unbound: Adding star systems already planned.

Robotic Arms:  Guessing planned, but I didn't see yet.

Scatterer/EVE:  Looks like some of these features are going to KSP 2.0

KSP is supposed to be simple, so someone can have fun just picking it up and throwing their kerbals to their chosen celestial body, efficiently or inefficiently. Having to worry about life support, supplies, different fuel types, rocket construction times, radiation belts and a host of other things could ruin the fun for people.

As someone else said, "I play (mostly) stock KSP when I have an hour or two to spare. 
I play RSS when I have days to spare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Wizard Kerbal said:

KSP is supposed to be simple, so someone can have fun just picking it up and throwing their kerbals to their chosen celestial body, efficiently or inefficiently. Having to worry about life support, supplies, different fuel types, rocket construction times, radiation belts and a host of other things could ruin the fun for people.

As someone else said, "I play (mostly) stock KSP when I have an hour or two to spare. 
I play RSS when I have days to spare.

I understand and I agree with what you are saying. The reason why I don't see a problem is because the KSP 2.0 tech tree will go well beyond the stock KSP 1.0.  For going to the Mun, SSTO, and all casual  throwing kerbals at a celestial bodies, this is all done in the early part of the game.  For advanced players that care about life-support, beam power, atomic fuel refining/recycling, different engine types and fuels that have ultra-high ISPs, engine cooling, etc all play in the far right side of the tech tree.  These techs are all part of the existing/current community tech tree. So, all the casual players that only have hour to spare will never get into the complexities of the right side of the tree. There will also be people that want a big challenge with RSS to land on Duna using real Earth and Mars gravity with Apollo/Saturn V tech. So yes, either way, the game will start simple.

Edited by enewmen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/28/2021 at 6:38 AM, enewmen said:

Free IVA:  Lets kerbals walk around inside spaceships in 1st person and 3rd person while having realistic gravity. Kerbals also need some daily routine to move from sleeping to working to dining. This was done in the Sims 20 years ago, can't be too hard.

would love to have this even if it's stripped down to like a 2d animation just doing experiments and eating lunch or whatever  i'd love a bit more character

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, blurb said:

would love to have this even if it's stripped down to like a 2d animation just doing experiments and eating lunch or whatever  i'd love a bit more character

Welcome to the forums and YES! That would be great!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2021 at 8:14 AM, AtomicTech said:

KER

KAC

USI-Life Supoport (Still trying to figure out why my kerbals don't consume supplies)

KRE

Chatterer

Who am I?

USI MKS

Oh! How could I forget!

AmpYear and the simple recolorer one that isn't named after turd.

And Ablative Air Brake, simple but really good!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/28/2021 at 4:38 AM, enewmen said:

KSP Interstellar Extended: This one is BIG. It not only adds engines (electric/thermal/charged particles) and reactors (fission and fusion), but in a very correct physics way with different materials having different characteristics(half-life/propellants/burn-time, etc) and needing to solve issues like waste heat and depleted fuel removal. There is also beam power which allows a large power station to beam power to smaller ships with a lot more power than solar. Different frequencies have different characteristics and the lasers can relay/mirror like the comm relays. When KSP 2.0 starts getting high-tech, the science must remain real without getting  magically good. This will be difficult to keep the physics/science real without getting magical. 

Nertea's Near / Far Future mods did KSPIE in a stockalike manner that doesn't introduce heinous amounts of bloat to your game, and does it in a way that you don't need documentation that doesn't exist in order to figure everything out.

On 9/28/2021 at 4:38 AM, enewmen said:

MechJeb:  KSP has basic maneuvering, but the mod is still a lot better. Possible now here on Earth. Futuristic Kerbals should be able to do this.

SimpleRockets 2 did this well. You can automate anything using Vizzy, but you need to know how to automate things - you can't just use a porkchop graph and plan a crazy efficient maneuver without having to know anything about orbital mechanics or programming. SR2 also has an auto-burn option for maneuvers to assist with engine wind-up and wind-down times, but you still need to know orbital mechanics to utilize this. Back to the point, you can download craft with Vizzy scripts built in, but this doesn't get much more complicated than automated liftoffs and semi-manual barge landings. Yes, SimpleRockets 2 comes with an ocean barge. Yes, there aren't any RGB lights like in KSP 1, but at least we have something to land eastbound rockets on. Where was I? Oh, SR2 does MechJeb without making it too versatile and cheaty - if you want auto barge landings, you'll need to either practice piloting or programming, not just pushing a 'land here' button.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/28/2021 at 4:38 AM, enewmen said:

Tweak Scale:  Should not be so hard to double the size of something all else equal. This makes larger or smaller rockets a lot easier.

Can we add procedural parts to this list? I know it's taboo on this LEGO-obsessed forum, but this little mobile KSP 'Spaceflight Simulator' does it in a LEGO-like manner. There are no adapters - instead, the tops and bottoms of fuel tanks auto-resize to match what's on their top and bottom. It still feels like LEGO but you never have to dig through a list of adapters for the right one. You just put a fuel tank on the blueprint, put a short fuel tank on the top of the same width and put a small item on top - the short fuel tank turns into a correctly sized adapter. This is a nice bit of finesse most other space flight sims don't have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Can we add procedural parts to this list? I know it's taboo on this LEGO-obsessed forum, but this little mobile KSP 'Spaceflight Simulator' does it in a LEGO-like manner. There are no adapters - instead, the tops and bottoms of fuel tanks auto-resize to match what's on their top and bottom. It still feels like LEGO but you never have to dig through a list of adapters for the right one. You just put a fuel tank on the blueprint, put a short fuel tank on the top of the same width and put a small item on top - the short fuel tank turns into a correctly sized adapter. This is a nice bit of finesse most other space flight sims don't have.

What's wrong with Legos? ;) I can agree with procedural adapters. The selection of adapters in KSP sucks. Either for ascetic reasons or you really need to adapt two odd sizes, procedural adapters would be really handy to have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

What's wrong with Legos? ;)

In my time playing SR2 I haven't found myself mixing parts with conflicting art styles because of its customisability, nor have I had to go on a trek for a tank of the right size. Not saying it's bad, heck it'd work a lot better if all parts were categorized properly by cross-section, parts could be painted however we liked and it had the auto-adapt feature of SFS - probably why I'm excited for KSP 2. But if we leave charm and intuitiveness for a sec, procedural parts wipe these problems out just by being procedural.  Not having to worry about the only adapter that fits being fugly is nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And, life support would limit our creativity, wouldn’t it?

Currently, i’m working on a “5m capsule” that’s just a fairing in a capsule shape, seating 10 kerbals on EVA chairs. With a life support mod, it’d be good for 6 hours- not the years I need for interplanetary times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wizard Kerbal said:

And, life support would limit our creativity, wouldn’t it?

Currently, i’m working on a “5m capsule” that’s just a fairing in a capsule shape, seating 10 kerbals on EVA chairs. With a life support mod, it’d be good for 6 hours- not the years I need for interplanetary times.

Exactly. This is why (in real life) interplanetary missions need a capsule a lot larger than 10 chairs. I personally will like to see life-support in a settings menu that can be enabled or disabled.  Life support will also not be an issue until going farther than the Mun  and should not be available until later in the tech-tree.    It will take a lot of creativity to build a ship big enough to comfortably 10 kerbals on a very long trip. But some people just don't want that kind of realism. I've personally done interplanetary missions with a team of kerbals using USI life-support. The vet kerbals can also be more hardy.

Edited by enewmen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...