Playing KSP on my school laptop.

pyropelush

3 hours ago, Jack White said:

I would recommend using the active texture manager (if you are using mods that's just a MUST HAVE option. I used to have the same situation with my old laptop and it kinda fixed it. FPS grew up from 20 to 30-35 fps. Of course, they are not that stable as I wanted them to be, but it became more playable. Your processor is not that good for this game, but at least this option has to do something for you. Check it out. 

Tried it out, I'm using one of the versions from 2013 since I'm running 0.22.
It works great and improved performance a little better, I have V-Sync on with this as well.

14 hours ago, pyropelush said:

Tried it out, I'm using one of the versions from 2013 since I'm running 0.22.
It works great and improved performance a little better, I have V-Sync on with this as well.

Great to hear you've fixed your problem.  Would type you to check out earlier version of the game, but well, you've managed to find this tip yourself. Anyways, enjoy your time :)

• 3 months later...
On 1/27/2022 at 2:40 PM, Vanamonde said:

Looks like the submitter removed them from the hosting site, in which case they can't be viewed. :(

If you're talking about me then I didn't remove them.  IG it was automatic :(

I'm speaking through the FABLED laptop right now, I had to wipe all images because they were searching laptops for unallowed programs.

3 minutes ago, pyropelush said:

If you're talking about me then I didn't remove them.  IG it was automatic :(

I'm speaking through the FABLED laptop right now, I had to wipe all images because they were searching laptops for unallowed programs.

Hey! Glad to have you back!

On 1/27/2022 at 8:27 AM, simonbellfi said:

Many image does not work, how can I see these?

It was a very interesting sight really, I only got like 5 - 7 fps per second. Truly weird.
I SHOULD'VE tried running the game in windowed mode and just scaling the entire window down but yeah.
I used a performance enhancers mod and graphics and visual effects were set at their lowest mode.

22 hours ago, pyropelush said:

It was a very interesting sight really, I only got like 5 - 7 fps per second. Truly weird.
I SHOULD'VE tried running the game in windowed mode and just scaling the entire window down but yeah.
I used a performance enhancers mod and graphics and visual effects were set at their lowest mode.

Yeah!

It was kinda cool to see a potato PC run KSP, and an old and familiar version too!

On 2/1/2022 at 11:22 AM, Br0wnie007 said:

ksp on chromebooks  might be possbile soon valve and google has been working togther to bring steam nativale to chromebooks

That's nice. This is a Windows laptop so I'm unsure.

I might reinstall KSP cause I have it saved on my School Google Drive.

• 8 months later...

I have fond memories of doing just this during in-person learning over COVID (the school had a brief period of personal laptop use instead of the $5 chromebooks)

I managed a full moon mission to and fro all while ignoring some Macbeth up on the monitor, if I remember correctly. Good times. :D

My buddy was turning around to look at me because, as it turned out, my laptop fan was obviously on full blast and people had been turning around confused. Whoops

• 5 months later...

Hello all! I'm aware "This thread is quite old." I probably should "consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one," but I'm gonna try anyway! My school laptop has a "AMD 3015e with Radeon Graphics." It runs at 1.2 GHz, and has 8 Gb of RAM with 5.86 usable... :/. As for my GPU, there isn't anyway to find it that isn't blocked by the administrator. I know that there isn't much info here, but can I play it on the ABSOLUTE lowest settings? Feel free to ask for more info if needed.

42 minutes ago, Kerballlistic07 said:

but can I play it on the ABSOLUTE lowest settings?

Ksp1 is well known for its ability to play on potato’s.    You might have to be very tolerant of very low fps’s, sometime bordering on spf’s.  And the load times can be atrocious (my old 1.3.1 modded build on my old laptop took 30 minutes to load), but the game is still very much playable on calculators and abacuses.   

17 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Ksp1 is well known for its ability to play on potato’s.

Thanks for the answer! The laptop is most definitely a potato, so that is good. I'm entirely expecting it to be laggy, but I just want to run it and get to orbit just to say I did it!

11 hours ago, Kerballlistic07 said:

Thanks for the answer! The laptop is most definitely a potato, so that is good. I'm entirely expecting it to be laggy, but I just want to run it and get to orbit just to say I did it!

With less than 6G of RAM, I would consider playing the 1.7.3 or even older versions. I still play on it (when I play) only due performance issues, but also because it's one of the less bugged KSP versions available.

But give 1.8.1 a try first, this one had pretty good performance on some not so old potatoes. And it loads slightly faster on them. 

Edited by Lisias
Hit "Save" too soon.

4 hours ago, Lisias said:

With less than 6G of RAM, I would consider playing the 1.7.3 or even older versions. I still play on it (when I play) only due performance issues, but also because it's one of the less bugged KSP versions available.

But give 1.8.1 a try first, this one had pretty good performance on some not so old potatoes. And it loads slightly faster on them. 

That was an idea I had, playing on older versions. I believe there is a forum post that has download links to them. I'll look into it. :D

Yes, here it is. I don't see links for 1.7 or 1.8. Does anyone know where I could find it? 

27 minutes ago, Kerballlistic07 said:

Yes, here it is. I don't see links for 1.7 or 1.8. Does anyone know where I could find it? 

If you've bought KSP from Steam just follow these instructions and you can get all versions of KSP that have been on Steam (0.19.1 - 1.12.5 for Linux, IDK for Windows):

If you've bought it from the PD store then go to the downloads page and click the link "legacy versions" (or something like this) near the bottom.

2 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

If you've bought KSP from Steam just follow these instructions and you can get all versions of KSP that have been on Steam (0.19.1 - 1.12.5 for Linux, IDK for Windows):

I will try! Thanks!

My school uses onedrive so ill put the file on there and hopefully it will work!

8 hours ago, Kerballlistic07 said:

That was an idea I had, playing on older versions. I believe there is a forum post that has download links to them. I'll look into it. :D

For what you want, just download the version you want from either the ksp store or steam.   Anything earlier than 1.3.1 will be a waste of your time. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.