Graphics Card Bandit

SPACE-MAN

Hello Ker-ballers,

Over 12 fortnights ago, my graphics card was stolen from me by the cruel mistress of entropy. I'm looking for a new, high quality card but am a little strapped for cash.

Should I wait for MSRP prices to drop? Are there deals out there, which aren't scams?

I really miss being the director of a space program!!!

40SD3eS.jpeg 

2 hours ago, SPACE-MAN said:

Over 12 fortnights ago, my graphics card was stolen from me by the cruel mistress of entropy. I'm looking for a new, high quality card but am a little strapped for cash.

Should I wait for MSRP prices to drop? Are there deals out there, which aren't scams? 

Ouch… That's bad. :(

Dude, I don't have very good news for you. The Silicon Shortage is not going away, at least until 2023 as I'm reading.

Now it's not the Pandemics, but the consequences from Pandemics - China, our currently main supplier of chips, is facing now controlled blackouts due lack of Electricity, and some factories are being hit by the energy rationing.

Not being bad enough, now we are facing a shortage of passive electronics components (capacitors, coils, etc) that are also badly needed to tie up all that silicon together. This time, the problem is the raw materials' supply chain, the fabrics that are working are not receiving the raw materials due problems on the Global Transport.

Pretty messy.

Unless something changes (and a lot), or unless my sources are wrong (we can hope, at least), the MSRP will not drop in the near future. It may even rise… ;.;

So I'm afraid you are going to burn some serious money on a new GPU - unless you are willing to risk something on the second hand market. There're some relatively decent offers out there (compared to the absurd prices of the new cards), but there're also some risks - China had shutdown a lot of criptocoins miners, and they flooded the marked withe their now useless GPU cards. They are used, they are a bit beaten, but still in working conditions - there's a FUD telling that each year working on a mining farm reduces the GPU's performance by 10%, but this was disproved. But this doesn't means that the cards will be in mint conditions, some will probably need some workmanship (as replacing the fans).

In a way or another, we (yep, I'm looking for one too) are between a rock and a hard place.

Well, I bought one on EBay by just being patient and waiting for a good an okay deal to come up. I wound up with a NIB 5500XT 8GB for about $400. That was back in April. But as a backup I put my name on the EVGA waiting list. That popped up in August, and I wound up buying a 3060 12G direct from them for MSRP, about $400, which is a total steal at current market rates. I just had to wait almost five months for it. I haven't decided what to do with the 5500XT yet. I'm either going to sell it on EBay used or hold on to it until we have some cash again and build another gaming PC for my kids. Probably the latter.

I have heard of folks getting stuff on the Newegg shuffle. I threw my hat in that ring every day for months and never got a thing. YMMV.

The graphic card marked is pretty insane, I have an 980ti I bought back then it was top dog of the standard graphic cards back 4-5 years ago for around $450. 
Was thinking about upgrading, the current card who is closest to mine in performance is 3060, who also cost around $450. Now you can get an graphic card who is more than 4 times more powerful but it set you back $2K and its more expensive gaming cards. Can some please find an way to pop the cyber currency bubble or detach if from graphic cards. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.