[KSP >= 1.3.1] Distant Object Enhancement (DOE) /L - Under new Management - 2.1.1.15 - 2024-0103

Lisias

Config File Reading of minimumSignificantBodySize and referenceBodySize Broken

Settings are stored to [KSPBASE]/PluginData/DistantObject/Settings.cfg
but not read from there and also not read from [KSPBASE]/GameData/DistantObject/PluginData/Settings.cfg

So after each KSP Start these Values have to set in the UI again.
Closeing and Opening Setting UI does again reset them both to "1.0".

4 hours ago, rfried said:

Config File Reading of minimumSignificantBodySize and referenceBodySize Broken

Settings are stored to [KSPBASE]/PluginData/DistantObject/Settings.cfg
but not read from there and also not read from [KSPBASE]/GameData/DistantObject/PluginData/Settings.cfg

So after each KSP Start these Values have to set in the UI again.
Closeing and Opening Setting UI does again reset them both to "1.0".

It's By Design.

The files on [KSPBASE]/GameData/DistantObject/PluginData/Settings.cfg, are default values and should not be editable by user. I define the default values based on Support issues, and I set these values in a way to minimise them.

The values on [KSPBASE]/PluginData/DistantObject/Settings.cfg are settings global to the game (i.e., not respective to a given savegame) and to computer (performance - these settings should not be moved to a different machine where performance may be different), and this file is where the User Settings for DOE are saved. When not present, a new one is created using the former one as template.

I changed these values, saved (clicking Apply), quit KSP, restarted KSP, and reloaded the SaveGame, and the user Settings were not reset as you described. I Opened and Closed the Settings Dialog many times, restarted KSP, the Settings file was not reset in any way.

However… You would not had the trouble to report this just because, you are pretty accurate on describing the results - so I guessed that your report of how to reproduce the problem can be the problem.

And then I realised that the mentioned Dialog's widges, when you open the Dialog by the first time on a game session, were in effect loaded with the default values - but since I was not clicking on the Apply button, these values were not being written on the file.

So, yeah, you found something but instead of describing on how to reproduce the misbehaviour, you tried to diagnose the problem in the blind, and reported what you thought was the problem instead of describing accurately how to reproduce it, what would helped me to diagnose the problem sooner - not to mention that I almost dismissed your report as "Invalid". :)

I will work on it today (probably at night). This is, indeed, a very annoying bug because you will reset these values every time you decide to change something completely unrelated.

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/DistantObject/issues/38

Edited by Lisias
adding link to the issue

ANNOUNCE

Release 2.1.1.14 is available for downloading, with the following changes:

• Closes issues:
    • #38 Misbehaviour on the Settings Dialog

See OP for the links.

— — — — —

This Release will be published using the following Schedule:

• GitHub. Right Now.
  • CurseForge. Right Now.
  • SpaceDock.  Right Now.

Being a simple fix release, I published it on everything and the kitchen's sink at the same time.

Hello Lisias!

Sorry to come back here late and not provide more details to my initial report.
But you fixed already. Really great, man. You are a hero!

And I have to thank you for this wonderful Mod making KSP (No bloody A, B, C, or 2 ;-) one of the best places to go on any PC. Even our kitchen sink here looks way better now in its skybox glow :-D

• 4 months later...

Hello, : )
 I installed Distant Object Enhancements on a test install, and the planet flares don't seem to be working (the rest does), below are pics in game VS pic from the forum on how it should look... I can't see any flare, should be bright and visible. Did the configs change recently, or is it a bug ? My graphic settings are at max/as usual.
KSP.log : https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/pmq9ajj6q1ureq05oc31f/KSPlog_DOE_flare_bug.zip?rlkey=v8ge2eay8hkl88315n1oxmhjr&dl=0
ingame:

pOMw3eP.png

NszyJ3H.png
How it should look / used to look last time I used it :
8090EYq.png

Thank you :) 

40 minutes ago, kurgut said:

Hello, : )
 I installed Distant Object Enhancements on a test install, and the planet flares don't seem to be working (the rest does), below are pics in game VS pic from the forum on how it should look... I can't see any flare, should be bright and visible. Did the configs change recently, or is it a bug ? My graphic settings are at max/as usual.
KSP.log : https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/pmq9ajj6q1ureq05oc31f/KSPlog_DOE_flare_bug.zip?rlkey=v8ge2eay8hkl88315n1oxmhjr&dl=0

<….>

Thank you :) 

Well, first a pretty stupid answer: did you clicked on the Apply? The settings are persisted between scene changes?

Now, a wild guess. I found two instances of this Exception on your KSP.log:

[EXC 17:57:59.436] Exception: [VesselSpawner Error]: No part in loader found with name: PotatoRoid.
        ProtoVessel.CreatePartNode (Part part, System.String partName, System.UInt32 id, ProtoCrewMember[] crew) (at
        ProtoVessel.CreatePartNode (System.String partName, System.UInt32 id, ProtoCrewMember[] crew) (at <39c0323fb
        DiscoverableObjectsUtil.SpawnAsteroid (System.String asteroidName, Orbit o, System.UInt32 seed, UntrackedObj
        ScenarioDiscoverableObjects.SpawnHomeAsteroid (System.Int32 asteroidSeed) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3
        KSPCommunityFixes.BugFixes.AsteroidSpawnerUniqueFlightId.ScenarioDiscoverableObjects_SpawnAsteroid_Prefix (S
        (wrapper dynamic-method) ScenarioDiscoverableObjects.ScenarioDiscoverableObjects.SpawnAsteroid_Patch1(Scenar
        ScenarioDiscoverableObjects.UpdateSpaceObjects () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
        ScenarioDiscoverableObjects+<SpawnDaemon>d__33.MoveNext () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
        UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnVa
        UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

Well, this is pretty suspicious as the PotatoRoid is the part used to… well… Asteroids. And since DOE enlists too the Asteroids, perhaps there's something mangling with the list of celestial bodies DOE uses to track… Celestial Bodies. :P

You are not using Kopernicus neither anything I know that could mangle the that list. So unless you forgot some silly detail (as clicking "Apply"), we have something in need to be dug here in order to be diagnosed… 

I will see what I can do between working hours.

24 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Well, first a pretty stupid answer: did you clicked on the Apply?

Not stupid, but careful, the stupid would be me and I can be for those type of things, but no haha, I did indeed click apply (even a bunch of times to be sure ^^)

24 minutes ago, Lisias said:

PotatoRoid

Yeah I usually remove them when I don't use asteroids on certain saves (we have nothing against space rocks we promise), just tested with them back, wasn't that... BUT...

I just find the thing !
Flares ON + Sky Dimming OFF = no planet flares
AOfzGdG.png
Flares ON + Sky Dimming ON = flares are back!
ZM1gjEu.png

Is this something that could be changed, so that the user can have this option ? sky dimming off + flares on ?

Also quick question, I forgot and couldn't find by search or pressing all my keyboard what was the keybind to display ALL celestial bodies names (like on mouse over).

Thank you ! :) 

EDIT : Altough for my purpose, I can obtain the same effect with sky dimming ON, and min significant body size at max + max sky brght at max too, the rest at minimum. But imho still would be a nice thing to have.

Edited by kurgut

35 minutes ago, kurgut said:

Not stupid, but careful, the stupid would be me and I can be for those type of things, but no haha, I did indeed click apply (even a bunch of times to be sure ^^)

Sometimes, Paranoid is the right word!! :sticktongue:

Spoiler

37 minutes ago, kurgut said:

I just find the thing !
Flares ON + Sky Dimming OFF = no planet flares
<…>
Flares ON + Sky Dimming ON = flares are back!
<…>

Is this something that could be changed, so that the user can have this option ? sky dimming off + flares on ?

Hey, this is a known issue that I can't reproduce on my rig!! Thanks for your log, you don't have that much add'ons installed - so it reduced a lot the number of variables!! :)

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/DistantObject/issues/32

39 minutes ago, kurgut said:

Also quick question, I forgot and couldn't find by search or pressing all my keyboard what was the keybind to display ALL celestial bodies names (like on mouse over).

Alt + Right Mouse Button - you must activate the option on DOE's control panel, "Show names on mouseover".

42 minutes ago, kurgut said:

Thank you ! :) 

EDIT : Altough for my purpose, I can obtain the same effect with sky dimming ON, and min significant body size at max + max sky brght at max too, the rest at minimum. But imho still would be a nice thing to have.

Welcome and cheers!

(I will check that bug again, now that I have a smaller footprint to work with!)

28 minutes ago, Lisias said:

this is a known issue that I can't reproduce on my rig!! Thanks for your log, you don't have that much add'ons installed - so it reduced a lot the number of variables!! :)

Okay then ! I quickly reproduced this in a stock Install, only squad and DOE in. I enabled DOE debug mode too. then clicked between flare ON/OFF, sky sim. ON/OFF.
Here's the logs https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/3d94xia5q02ibcnosx134/zzz_KSP_log_DOE_bug32_stock.zip?rlkey=xpoyftbludxn9ckfi1tgto1cw&dl=0
Hope it helps :) 

Thanks for your answer for the keybind !
Cheers

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kurgut said:

Okay then ! I quickly reproduced this in a stock Install, only squad and DOE in. I enabled DOE debug mode too. then clicked between flare ON/OFF, sky sim. ON/OFF.

So what in hell happened last year when I tried to reproduce the problem and failed??? :0.0:

Oh well… I probably borked the test session. :blush: I will redo it tonight. :D

2 hours ago, kurgut said:

Here's the logs https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/3d94xia5q02ibcnosx134/zzz_KSP_log_DOE_bug32_stock.zip?rlkey=xpoyftbludxn9ckfi1tgto1cw&dl=0
Hope it helps :) 

Thanks for your answer for the keybind !
Cheers

Yes, it will! Thanks!

— — POST EDIT — — 

Embarrassing enough, I not only easily detected the problem as I already fixed it. Also understood how in hell I had borked so beautifully on the initial diagnosis (damn!).

In the hopes to avoid screwing things again, I will delay the release for a few hours, as I want to do a full test cycle this time - had I done it last time I visited this issue, we would have it fixed already!

Thanks for the heads up!

Edited by Lisias
Embarrassing POST EDIT.

ANNOUNCE

Release 2.1.1.15 is available for downloading, with the following changes:

Closes issues:
#37 Parallax may be inducing DOE to bork the Flares (invalid)
#32 Body Flares are being deactivated when Dynamic Dimming Skies are
See OP for the links.

— — — — —

This Release will be published using the following Schedule:

GitHub. Right Now.
CurseForge. Right Now.
SpaceDock.  Right Now.
Being a simple fix release, I published it on everything and the kitchen's sink at the same time.

Note: something on Forum is misbehaving, but I found that pure text posts appears to work!

Hello.
Does anyone have a problem saving settings? Every time I launch KSP, DOE resets all its settings to default.

Spoiler

P3FIbz4.png

UPD: I found out experimentally that this only happens if you launch KSP through Steam with the launch parameter - "C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64.exe" %command% , (I was told this command to launch KSP bypassing disgusting launcher). If you launch the game through the executable file from the game folder KSP_x64.exe or without this launch parameter, the settings are not reset. I don’t understand how this is connected. The problem is only with DOE, no other mod resets its settings.

Edited by Grem

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Grem said:

Hello.
Does anyone have a problem saving settings? Every time I launch KSP, DOE resets all its settings to default.

UPD: I found out experimentally that this only happens if you launch KSP through Steam with the launch parameter - "C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64.exe" %command% , (I was told this command to launch KSP bypassing disgusting launcher). If you launch the game through the executable file from the game folder KSP_x64.exe or without this launch parameter, the settings are not reset. I don’t understand how this is connected. The problem is only with DOE, no other mod resets its settings.

Yeah, DOE is trusting the Current Working Directory in order to find its way in the file system. When that sad excuse of Software they call PD Launcher was released, it changed the CWD of the game to its own subdirectory, fixing it itself on second stage of the launching.

To get rid of that crap, some less than skilled people decided to brute force their way on Steam Launcher, ignoring that Steam Launcher was hard configured (as I didn't managed to find a way to work around it on the Steam itself) had the CDW set to PD Launcher.

This broke a lot of things, including KSP itself. If you care to check carefully, you will find some of KSP files (including the screenshots) inside  the PD-Launcher's directory (unless you had installed something that patched KSP at runtime).

So, nope, this is not something affecting only DOE, it's affecting KSP even until this date. 

Your REALLY safe option is to install KSSL or equivalent, what will preserve the new crappy status quo  for Steam Users.

But since people around here settled to cope with the mess instead of fix it properly, my add'ons will try to work around the problem. Apparently, I forgot to update DOE with the most recent version of my component that handle messes like that. I will check this right now.

— — POST EDIT — — 

Well, I found a revision on the code that recalculates the ApplicationRootPath that was not published on DOE. I'm unsure if this is really the cause but we will discover it soon. Stay tunned.

— — POST POST EDIT — —

@Grem, I published a HotFix what I hope will fix your issue here: https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/DistantObject/releases/edit/PRERELEASE%2F2.1.1.5

Please follow the instructions on that page.

Edited by Lisias
POST POST EDIT

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't found any other place better than DOE to post this:

Saturn's picture taken in day light. Beautiful.

Wondering if I could get something similar using Tarsier… 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! I was wondering how you can gain access to the Fine Guidance Sensor shown in the demonstration images? It'd be quite cool to be able to see my satellites and stuff orbiting Kerbin!

6 hours ago, hall said:

Hey! I was wondering how you can gain access to the Fine Guidance Sensor shown in the demonstration images? It'd be quite cool to be able to see my satellites and stuff orbiting Kerbin!

Check  Tarsier!

Cheers!

— — POST EDIT — — 

Humm… I think the Sensor is from Cacteye...

Edited by Lisias
POST EDIT