[KSP >= 1.3.1] Distant Object Enhancement (DOE) /L - Under new Management - 2.1.1.15 - 2024-0103

Lisias

21 hours ago, Lisias said:

#facepalm - I was looking on the Darken Sky, by some weird reason I assumed you were complaining about the skybox dimming… (sigh).

Reveal hidden contents

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.j

Oukey, checking it… And yep, you are right.

I will fix it ASAP: https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/DistantObject/issues/27

No worries, curious to see what the cause is as it seems like a fairly simple implementation based on what you're detailing on github.

NOTAM

TweakScale (and some other mods) are borking due PDLauncher changing how things are started up on KSP.

On reddit, it was found the copying everything (but Squad and SquadExpansion) from <KSPROOT>/GameData to <KSPROOT>PDLauncher/GameData will "fix" the problem.

Problem: what happens with the settings.cfg? The savegames? KSP.log surelly is there now.

I will have an answer to it soon.

In a way or another, using PDLauncher is highly not advisable with or without Mods. 

— — POST EDIT — — 

The whole ordeal was a mess. PD Launcher is not a problem. POINT. TweakScale was the one reporting something wrong, not the victim nor the cause of the problem. POINT.

Some dude tried to accomplish something on Steam Launcher, made a mistake, and then a lot of people started to shoot the messenger (TweakScale) and I got involved on the shooting without a gun.

Edited by Lisias
POST EDIT

16 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

Hi @Lisias New/ old bug? regression maybe? I see the names of some objects are duplicated 180 degrees from the actual positions. The CBs are OK but all the Kerbal crafts (in same SOI are doubled.

It's a major screwup (or someone trying to push his weight that ended up badly) on the PDLauncher. It's changing things internally on KSP, and as it appears, to the worst.

For starters it had changed the PWD (Program Working Directory, or Current Directory, or Default Directory - different names on different O.S.s, same meaning) and so things that are used to be accessible by relative pathanems ("GameData/blah/something/file.png") ceased to work. And I know of many add'ons that do that (including me, as I had tried to avoid problems by people moving KSP or symbolic linking things around and using absolute pathnames is a invitation to the disaster on this).

Even the KSP.log is not under the PDLauncher directory, meaning that even KSP itself is at lost about the change.

On reddit, someone had "fixed" the problem by moving everything from <KSP-ROOT>/GameData into <KSP-ROOT>/PDLauncher/GameData . I didn't tried it myself yet (I sourced a Windows machine, but I don't have access to it yet).

In a way or another, do not use the PDLauncher, It's royally screwed up and I will not accept bug reports on KSP systems running it until we have this krap figured out.

If by removing the PDLauncher and running KSP from the KSP_x64.exe (don't forget to set the PWD to the directory where the exe is!) directly you still have the problem, then this is something I can work with and I will check it.

— POST EDIT — 

The whole ordeal was a mess. PD Launcher is not a problem. POINT. TweakScale was the one reporting something wrong, not the victim nor the cause of the problem. POINT.

Some dude tried to accomplish something on Steam Launcher, made a mistake, and then a lot of people started to shoot the messenger (TweakScale) and I got involved on the shooting without a gun.

Edited by Lisias
POST EDIT

9 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

As I understand it's copy, not move, and not everything, but everything else than Squad and SquadExpansion.

Copying is (probably - I didn't checked it yet!) bad, it will (probably) duplicate everything on memory.

But I agree about "everything" being wrong.

In a way or another, I will fix my posts to reflect the original poster.

Thanks for the heads up, I appreciated it.

Edited by Lisias
better phrasing. making it clear that the dude is right and I appreciated being corrected.

NOTAM

Given that I finally got a Windows machine (blergh) to test things, I could check things myself and understood what happened about PD Launcher

Yes, I'm eating my words on this one.

— — 

I just got notice of an even better solution!

Edited by Lisias
better solution

• 2 weeks later...

ANNOUNCE

Release 2.1.1.11 is available for downloading, with the following changes:

• Brings to mainstream the Experimental features from 2.1.1.10
    • Fixes the Sky dimming for the Sun
    • Implements some parameters to customise the dimming for planets.
  • (formally) Work issues:
    • #23 Parameterise the FoV of the celestial body inducing the SkyBox to dim #23

This release is essentially the 2.1.1.10 (Experimental) made mainstream. KSPe.Light was also updated, working around an issue that happens when KSP is fired up with the Current Working Directory set to anywhere but the one where KSP really lives - KSP will still misbehave, but since apparently the whole Scene is following these new rules, so I'm following suit.

No screenshots this time, I'm in hurry. Again™…  :P 

See OP for the links.

— — — — —

This Release will be published using the following Schedule:

• GitHub. Right Now.
  • CurseForge. Right Now.
  • SpaceDock.  Right Now.

The reason is that I'm working this weekend, and I will not have too much time to do proper support. Spreading the releases gradually will allow me to tackle down on the Sunday any problem reported by CF users before the thing reaching SpaceDock.

Edited by Lisias
All your Distributions Channels are belong to us!

12 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Well, 2.1.1.11 still does not remember the user settings for the next game session. It's the same behaviour as

Yep, the #25 is still open: https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/DistantObject/issues/25

This release was more or less rushed in order to prevent DOE from borking when KSP is launched with the pwd set to somewhere else but the "origin" (the updated KSPe.Light thing). The previous Experimental features were added too, since they are potentially useful, already tested and it's convenient to have them published before working out the #25, as they would be affected too.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Krazy1 said:

hi @Lisias Ever since the last update to 2.1.1.11 my settings are not being saved. I have to enable display name on mouse-over and distant vessel rendering every game session. Is it just me? I'm on KSP 1.12.3. 

Yep, I'm working on it right now. It was a stupid mistake on my KSPe library… :blush:

I'm polishing some more details on the thingy, I think we will have a new release with this fixed by morning!

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/DistantObject/issues/28

Edited by Lisias
adding link

8 minutes ago, Krazy1 said:

Wow... what service. You read my mind. Or I didn't scroll up to see the prior report...:wink: 

Any chance the doubled/ spherically mirrored mouse-over text I mentioned above will be fixed? It's very minor. I'm just curious. Related to:

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/DistantObject/issues/8

I think this was fixed on July 22, last year and published on Release 2.1.1.9. Additionally, the mouse doesn't trigger the labels for celestial bodies being hidden by something else (unless you use ALT+RMB).

At least I couldn't reproduce that misbehaviour now on 2.1.1.11.

Are you experiencing this problem now?

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

At least I couldn't reproduce that misbehaviour now on 2.1.1.11.

Yes, but it was greatly improved... the planets are OK and spacecraft generally are OK too. I could only find one doubled label on an asteroid that I klawed and put in Mun orbit. Another asteroid that has a probe still attached is OK. So... reeeeealky minor now. 

Edit: I'm using Alt-RBM to display the names. I actually I found some more spacecraft. Hmmm... some do, some don't. 

Edited by Krazy1

30 minutes ago, Krazy1 said:

Yes, but it was greatly improved... the planets are OK and spacecraft generally are OK too. I could only find one doubled label on an asteroid that I klawed and put in Mun orbit. Another asteroid that has a probe still attached is OK. So... reeeeealky minor now. 

Edit: I'm using Alt-RBM to display the names. I actually I found some more spacecraft. Hmmm... some do, some don't. 

Humm… Gotcha!

I probably need to replicate the fix I implemented on DistantFlare to DistantVessel! (Asteroids are "Vessels" on the Game Engine!).

I will work on it tomorrow, I mean, this morning after waking. :) 

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/DistantObject/issues/29

ANNOUNCE

Release 2.1.1.11r2 is available for downloading, with the following changes:

• The very same 2.1.1.11 release, but with a yet another updated KSPe.Light with the #28 fix.

This release is exactly the 2.1.1.11, but with the KSPe.Light.DOE library updated to fix the problem reported above by @Krazy1 and on this other thread by @italon and @Caerfinon (as well by a402245 on github).

No screenshots this time, I'm in hurry. Again™…  :P 

See OP for the links.

— — — — —

This Release will be published using the following Schedule:

• GitHub. Right Now.
  • CurseForge. Right Now.
  • SpaceDock.  Right Now.

Being a minor re-release, there's no reason to schedule the distribution as I usually do.

Edited by Lisias
Missed one reporter!

Is this a known bug?

Spoiler

[ERR 20:38:51.507] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: MeshEngine

[LOG 20:38:51.508] [KSPe.Binder] Looking for MeshEngine.dll on GameData\DistantObject\Plugins\PluginData\...
[LOG 20:38:51.511] [KSPe.Binder] Found it on D:\Games\KSP\KSP 1.12.5 unKerbalism\GameData\DistantObject\Plugins\PluginData\MeshEngine.dll.
[ERR 20:38:51.512] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: MeshEngineStock

[LOG 20:38:51.512] [KSPe.Binder] Looking for MeshEngineStock.dll on GameData\DistantObject\Plugins\PluginData\...
[LOG 20:38:51.515] [KSPe.Binder] Found it on D:\Games\KSP\KSP 1.12.5 unKerbalism\GameData\DistantObject\Plugins\PluginData\MeshEngineStock.dll.
[LOG 20:38:51.516] [DistantObject] MeshEngineStock 2.1.1.11 /L
[ERR 20:38:51.516] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: MeshEngineTweakScale

[LOG 20:38:51.516] [KSPe.Binder] Looking for MeshEngineTweakScale.dll on GameData\DistantObject\Plugins\PluginData\...
[LOG 20:38:51.518] [KSPe.Binder] Found it on D:\Games\KSP\KSP 1.12.5 unKerbalism\GameData\DistantObject\Plugins\PluginData\MeshEngineTweakScale.dll.
[LOG 20:38:51.520] [DistantObject] MeshEngineTweakScale 2.1.1.11 /L
[LOG 20:38:51.557] [DistantObject] MeshEngine 2.1.1.11 /L ready.

It's in 1.12.5 - it broke the CommNet (no signal).

Edited by Vl3d

30 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Is this a known bug?

Hide contents

[ERR 20:38:51.507] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: MeshEngine

[LOG 20:38:51.508] [KSPe.Binder] Looking for MeshEngine.dll on GameData\DistantObject\Plugins\PluginData\...
[LOG 20:38:51.511] [KSPe.Binder] Found it on D:\Games\KSP\KSP 1.12.5 unKerbalism\GameData\DistantObject\Plugins\PluginData\MeshEngine.dll.
[ERR 20:38:51.512] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: MeshEngineStock

[LOG 20:38:51.512] [KSPe.Binder] Looking for MeshEngineStock.dll on GameData\DistantObject\Plugins\PluginData\...
[LOG 20:38:51.515] [KSPe.Binder] Found it on D:\Games\KSP\KSP 1.12.5 unKerbalism\GameData\DistantObject\Plugins\PluginData\MeshEngineStock.dll.
[LOG 20:38:51.516] [DistantObject] MeshEngineStock 2.1.1.11 /L
[ERR 20:38:51.516] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: MeshEngineTweakScale

[LOG 20:38:51.516] [KSPe.Binder] Looking for MeshEngineTweakScale.dll on GameData\DistantObject\Plugins\PluginData\...
[LOG 20:38:51.518] [KSPe.Binder] Found it on D:\Games\KSP\KSP 1.12.5 unKerbalism\GameData\DistantObject\Plugins\PluginData\MeshEngineTweakScale.dll.
[LOG 20:38:51.520] [DistantObject] MeshEngineTweakScale 2.1.1.11 /L
[LOG 20:38:51.557] [DistantObject] MeshEngine 2.1.1.11 /L ready.

It's in 1.12.5 - it broke the CommNet (no signal).

This is not a bug at all. It's the normal logging while DOE looks for and loads its internal DLLs.

The ERR ADDON BINDER are completely bogus, you should ignore them.

Are you really sure DOE is the one screwing up the CommNet? It just doesn't mangles with anything related to it, and since the DLLs are loaded fine (see the DLLs stating their versions below the message saying "Found it"), DOE is not triggering the infamous Assembly Loader/Resolver neither.

Publish the whole KSP.log on dropbox or something and post the link here. I will look into it.

Edited by Lisias
Kraken damned grammars.

Hi @Lisias

With the new 2.1.1.11r2 release I tested the doubled text and... it's better.. but not perfect. It seems to be good for objects inside the set render distance (750000m default) but for objects further but within SOI it shows them doubled still. I saw it on probes too, not just asteroids. I'm not 100% sure about the distance, didn't test it a lot. Maybe it should only show the names outside the render distance for CBs only?

I think I see a new issue... The skybox dims when in low orbit at night (eclipsed) and looking at the planet (which is also in the direction of the sun). It's like you're looking at the sun without the planet blocking the sunlight. I don't think it did this before but maybe I'm wrong. 

7 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

Hi @Lisias

With the new 2.1.1.11r2 release I tested the doubled text and... it's better.. but not perfect. It seems to be good for objects inside the set render distance (750000m default) but for objects further but within SOI it shows them doubled still. I saw it on probes too, not just asteroids. I'm not 100% sure about the distance, didn't test it a lot. Maybe it should only show the names outside the render distance for CBs only?

r2 justo solved the settings issue. I started to work on your issue, but I realised it would take more time than available, so I postponed it to the next weekend!

What you are seeing is that Celestial Bodies had the correctly "duplicated supressor" code, but I didn't did it for Vessels, and it happens that Asteroids and Comets on KSP are implemented as "Vessels", being the reason that some "celestial bodies" (that are not really objects from the KSP type CelestialBodies, but Vessels in disguise) have the duplicated labels and others don't!

7 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

I think I see a new issue... The skybox dims when in low orbit at night (eclipsed) and looking at the planet (which is also in the direction of the sun). It's like you're looking at the sun without the planet blocking the sunlight. I don't think it did this before but maybe I'm wrong. 

Nice catch. The dimming code is somewhat simplistic - if you are looking into the Sun, or if you are looking into the Planet your are orbiting from a reasonable distance, the sky is dimmed. I don't remember seeing a code to check if you are on the dark side of the Planet, I will check it on the WeekEnd.

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/DistantObject/issues/31