[KSP >= 1.3.1] Distant Object Enhancement (DOE) /L - Under new Management - 2.1.1.15 - 2024-0103

Lisias

19 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

Hi Lisias. One more request... make it work for asteroids. Right now it's showing only a small dot from physics range out to DOE setting for max rendering range. Then it suddenly blinks into full detail at the edge of physics range. With a class A it's probably not too noticeable but a Class E certainly is. It went from about 1 mm diameter white dot to 2 cm full detail as I approached it. 

It might be an extra challenge for new asteroids because they are "unowned" and KSP might not even spawn the details of the asteroid until it first enters physics range... just a guess. 

Thanks and good luck with this and IRL.

Request recorded: https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/DistantObject/issues/17

Yep, this is going to need a "new engine" for it. Asteroids, as far as I know, are a special kind of "vessel" - AFAIK it's like a debris from the physics point of view. What means it goes to rails and from it - what can make things a bit easier with a bit of luck.

On a superficial analysis, it can make my life a bit easier as I think I can use the OnRails and OffRails events to detect when DOE should draw the blinking lights and when it does not.

It's an issue on github now: https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/DistantObject/issues/17

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been seeing problems (that is, no distant object flares show up at all) with DOE in planet-pack systems where the homeworld is reparented to orbit other planets- is this a known issue, and if so is there any fix? Problem encountered using KSP 1.12.2 and the Whirligig World planet pack, but would likely be replicable in other reparented systems like Alternis Kerbol Rejiggered.

2 hours ago, Tangle said:

I've been seeing problems (that is, no distant object flares show up at all) with DOE in planet-pack systems where the homeworld is reparented to orbit other planets- is this a known issue, and if so is there any fix? Problem encountered using KSP 1.12.2 and the Whirligig World planet pack, but would likely be replicable in other reparented systems like Alternis Kerbol Rejiggered.

I was not aware of that. If no flares are being shown, it's highly probable an exception was thrown inside DOE killing the thread. Please publish your log file on dropbox or something or, if you have a github account, on a comment on this issue:  https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/DistantObject/issues/18

10 hours ago, Lisias said:

I was not aware of that. If no flares are being shown, it's highly probable an exception was thrown inside DOE killing the thread. Please publish your log file on dropbox or something or, if you have a github account, on a comment on this issue:  https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/DistantObject/issues/18

I'm putting KSP.log here, so apologies if you meant the modulemanager logs or something. In particular, I found the phrase
[EXC 04:50:18.175] Exception: Distant Object -- Unable to find Kerbin's relationship to Kerbol.
    DistantObject.FlareDraw.GenerateBodyFlares () (at <9b673f98181d4f2ab320f3a8099485cd>:0)
    DistantObject.FlareDraw.Awake () (at <9b673f98181d4f2ab320f3a8099485cd>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
    AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
    AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
    AddonLoader:OnLevelLoaded(GameScenes)
    AddonLoader:OnSceneLoaded(Scene, LoadSceneMode)
    UnityEngine.SceneManagement.SceneManager:Internal_SceneLoaded(Scene, LoadSceneMode)

inside, which I suspect is the issue- will be starting KSP with all the Kerbin-related DOE stuff deleted to see if this provides a temporary fix.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17dv1_txbkhFRJloxqPOOTYdmfOhPNmo_?usp=sharing Apologies for the drive link, it was the only thing I had handy.

I'll be testing what happens if I remove the DOE definitions for Kerbin- maybe that'll do it, if only as a stopgap measure?

UPDATE: Same exception still fires. I guess it's just looking for Kerbin anyway? Maybe if I remove *all* the DOE references to Kerbin, but that's pretty invasive for a stopgap fix.

Edited by Tangle
update

3 hours ago, Tangle said:

I'm putting KSP.log here, so apologies if you meant the modulemanager logs or something. In particular, I found the phrase

<snipped by me>

inside, which I suspect is the issue- will be starting KSP with all the Kerbin-related DOE stuff deleted to see if this provides a temporary fix.

Yep, it's it. FlareDraw is tied to the Stock, it doesn't knows how to handle Kopernicus. I need to rework FlareDraw in order to allow adding "engines" or "drivers" to it (as I did on VesselDraw), so I (or anyone else) could just write a new one for it to handle Kopernicus.

O added this to the issue on github, I will work on it on my next window for DOE.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17dv1_txbkhFRJloxqPOOTYdmfOhPNmo_?usp=sharing Apologies for the drive link, it was the only thing I had handy.

Not a problem at all. The important thing is to have KSP.log available for downloading somehow.

I'll be testing what happens if I remove the DOE definitions for Kerbin- maybe that'll do it, if only as a stopgap measure?

UPDATE: Same exception still fires. I guess it's just looking for Kerbin anyway? Maybe if I remove *all* the DOE references to Kerbin, but that's pretty invasive for a stopgap fix.

It will not work, unfortunately. The definitions you found is to colorize the planet's flares with its dominant colours - and this is going to be needed anyway later.

The problem at hands is that DOE understand how Stock handles the Sun and Planets, but doesn't knows squat (yet) about Kopernicus.

The first step is to do on FlareDraw what I did on VesselDraw, create a kind of "engine" or "driver" so I can decoupe Stock specific code from the "business logic", and so adding Kopernicus later would be easier - and without compromising Stock only games.

16 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Yep, it's it. FlareDraw is tied to the Stock, it doesn't knows how to handle Kopernicus. I need to rework FlareDraw in order to allow adding "engines" or "drivers" to it (as I did on VesselDraw), so I (or anyone else) could just write a new one for it to handle Kopernicus.

The dev of the planet mod I was using when I discovered this says: "you should look into how kopernicus does universal body identifiers as a way of identifying a planet when the in game name changes in things like homeworld switches". Hopefully that's helpful :v

10 hours ago, Tangle said:

The dev of the planet mod I was using when I discovered this says: "you should look into how kopernicus does universal body identifiers as a way of identifying a planet when the in game name changes in things like homeworld switches". Hopefully that's helpful :v

Well, it just confirms my diagnosis. :)

In Stock, the celestial bodies can be found on the FlightGlobals.Bodies array, On Kopernicus, they are somewhere else.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

What does it mean that this doesn't support ReStock? ReStock is just a parts mod, what would need to be supported?

ReStock parts are currently not rendered by the distant vessel rendering feature. Otherwise, they work fine together.

4 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

What does it mean that this doesn't support ReStock? ReStock is just a parts mod, what would need to be supported?

ReStock is replacing some Stock Modules by customised ones, and so I need to "teach" DOE how to cope with these customised modules!

DOE was working fine until the introduction of these modules, as documented on the respective issue!

It's not a big of an issue, but RL is bitting harsh in the last 4 months so I didn't had the time to tackle this one yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @Lisias.  I hope you are doing well.  This is actually a mod I use, so great to see you picking it up. :)

Kopernicus is doing some frankly, janky crap, that I wish didn't work as well as it does to fix the sinking-landing-gear-on-distant-bodies bug.  But it does and so here we are.  I'm sure you've been there.  KSP is a mystery on some days.

The idea is a mock-invisible moho-sized celestial is placed between the craft and system root at a set distance.  Anyways, you can see how this is weird because this body does end up in FlightGlobals.bodies and of course, DOE tries to draw flares for it.

IF you want to link to Kopernicus, the easiest way to filter it is like so:

List<CelestialBody> filteredBodies = FlightGlobals.Bodies;
            if (filteredBodies.Contains(Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.RuntimeUtility.mockBody))
            {
                filteredBodies.Remove(Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.RuntimeUtility.mockBody);
            }

I imagine you'd probably prefer to iterate through though and not link to Kopernicus.  In that case, just filter by CelestialBody.name.  The name is "KopernicusWatchdog"  No other body should be named that ever.

I can maintain a patchset or even make a PR for you, but I imagine such a change would be easy for you to do too if you don't mind mainlining.  Let me know your plans.

PS:  This "Watchdog" is an optional Kopernicus addon and probably affects less than 25% of the userbase, if it makes a difference to you, but I'd still like mods to be aware of it.

15 minutes ago, Kwebib said:

@Lisias DOE shows a "Kopernicus Watchdog" flare (a fake planet being used to alleviate a Kopernicus bug). Do you think you could write a patch to exclude this celestial body? See here:

Kopernicus Thread Comment

Ah we posted at the same time lol.

Edited by R-T-B

38 minutes ago, Kwebib said:

@Lisias DOE shows a "Kopernicus Watchdog" flare (a fake planet being used to alleviate a Kopernicus bug). Do you think you could write a patch to exclude this celestial body? See here:

Kopernicus Thread Comment

Sure thing! I will add a blacklist to DOE, and then I will apply a pull request to Kopernicus with a patch populating it.

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/DistantObject/issues/19

I have defined a roadmap for DOE, I (hopefully) will retake development for the next iteration next WeekEnd.

Cheers!

35 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Hello @Lisias.  I hope you are doing well.  This is actually a mod I use, so great to see you picking it up. :)

Hi! I'm alive and kicked!! :sticktongue:

Thanks! :)

Kopernicus is doing some frankly, janky crap, that I wish didn't work as well as it does to fix the sinking-landing-gear-on-distant-bodies bug.  But it does and so here we are.  I'm sure you've been there.  KSP is a mystery on some days.

Dude, you are talking to the Crazy SAS than maintains KSP-Recall. :sticktongue: I feel your pain (we are all masochists…)

I imagine you'd probably prefer to iterate through though and not link to Kopernicus.  In that case, just filter by CelestialBody.name.  The name is "KopernicusWatchdog"  No other body should be named that ever.

Yep, this is the way I'm going - I will implement a generic solution and then a Config where people can patch their exclusions.

What I intend to do is allow 3rd parties to do things more or less like this one:

@DistantObject:AFTER[DistantObject]:NEEDS[Kopernicus,DistantObject]
{
    @Flare
    {
        @CelestialBody
        {
            @ExclusionList
            {
                name = KopernicusWatchdog
            }
        }
    }
}

Or something like that (don't take this as a Specification yet).

Usually, I think it's not the most productive idea to have these dependencies on the main distribution - experience on TweakScale taught me that the main distribution ideally should be the minimal as possible (i.e., support Stock and DLCs) and additional support implemented by interested 3rd parties or even on "Companions". Any changes on your side, and we don't need to release a new DOE version - and once this feature is published, it will not be changed (worst case scenario, I built a new feature to complement this one, but whatever I do here will be set on stone).

Thoughts?

34 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

PS:  This "Watchdog" is an optional Kopernicus addon and probably affects less than 25% of the userbase, if it makes a difference to you, but I'd still like mods to be aware of it.

Better yet! We can confine the patch to it, removing DOE's and Kopernicus' from the line of fire!

Ah we posted at the same time lol.

And I was typing this message in the mean time, refreshing the page to see what's going on!!! :D 

Edited by Lisias
Brute force post merging.

34 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Usually, I think it's not the most productive idea to have these dependencies on the main distribution - experience on TweakScale taught me that the main distribution ideally should be the minimal as possible (i.e., support Stock and DLCs) and additional support implemented by interested 3rd parties or even on "Companions". Any changes on your side, and we don't need to release a new DOE version - and once this feature is published, it will not be changed (worst case scenario, I built a new feature to complement this one, but whatever I do here will be set on stone).

Thoughts?

I like the philosophy and can go with it.  As you can see, a lot of Kopernicus's more esoteric features are optional cfgs now where possible, so I certainly use that philosophy myself.

36 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Better yet! We can confine the patch to it, removing DOE's and Kopernicus' from the line of fire!

That will be easy if DOE can understand the exclusion list (obviously that needs to be added).  I will await a spec and then I can easily make up the patch in the same file.

38 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Dude, you are talking to the Crazy SAS than maintains KSP-Recall. :sticktongue: I feel your pain (we are all masochists…)

Between you and I, I think we have a contest for who can go the most insane, yeah... lol.  I finally just said "no stock issues" to save my sanity.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I think I've found a new bug in this mod. (KSP 1.12.3  DOE 2.1.1.6)

I searched if this error was reported before in this (and in the previous manteiners) topic unsuccessfully.

It happens when the "Distant Vessel Rendering" is enabled and two (or more) vessels are in the distance threshold specified by the mod, the FPS drop from 60 to 20 (even with small relay satellite) and stops when the vessel reach the stock render distance.

This is the error that appears in the logfile.

[EXC 15:52:49.559] ReflectionTypeLoadException: Exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' was thrown.
    System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    KSPe.Util.SystemTools+TypeFinder.FindByInterface (System.Type ifc) (at <9f7cd9a529194dc4a60f3cf218f8503b>:0)
    DistantObject.Contract.MeshEngine.CreateFor (Vessel vessel) (at <e30ec9083ad44f3d8c362bd51ed054ea>:0)
    DistantObject.VesselDrawDatabase.VesselCheck (Vessel vessel) (at <e30ec9083ad44f3d8c362bd51ed054ea>:0)
    DistantObject.VesselDraw.CheckDraw (Vessel vessel) (at <e30ec9083ad44f3d8c362bd51ed054ea>:0)
    DistantObject.VesselDraw.Update () (at <e30ec9083ad44f3d8c362bd51ed054ea>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)
[LOG 15:52:49.559] [ModuleManager] Intercepted a ReflectionTypeLoadException. List of broken DLLs:

[EXC 15:52:49.600] ReflectionTypeLoadException: Exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' was thrown.

Modlist

Spoiler

Mod DLLs found:
Stock assembly: Assembly-CSharp v0.0.0.0
ModuleManagerWatchDog v0.0.1.0
KSPUpgradeScriptFix v1.0.0.0
ModuleManager v4.2.1.0
ClickThroughBlocker v0.1.10.17
FilterExtensions v3.2.7.0 / v3.2.7
aaa_Toolbar v1.8.0.7
USITools v1.0.0.0
ToolbarControl v0.1.9.6
KSPe.Light.Recall v2.4.0.0
Attached v0.2.2.1
AttachedOnEditor v0.2.2.1
ChillingOut v0.2.2.1
Driftless v0.2.2.1
KSP-Recall v0.2.2.1
Refunding v0.2.2.1
Resourceful v0.2.2.1
AntennaHelper v1.0.7.7
AtmosphereAutopilot v1.5.18.0
AtmosphereAutopilot.UI v1.0.0.0
AviationLights v4.1.2.0
B9PartSwitch v2.19.0.0 / vv2.19.0
B9-PWings-Fork v0.43.0.10
PlanetsideExplorationTechnologies v1.0.0.0
SigmaTweakMaxResource v1.0.0.0
BetterTimeWarpCont v2.3.13.0 / v2.3.13
BonVoyage v1.4.0.0
Chatterer v0.9.99.2788
CommNetAntennasConsumptor v3.5.5.0
CommNetAntennasInfo v3.1.2.0
CCK v5.1.0.0 / v5.1.0.0 for KSP v1
ConformalDecals v1.0.0.0
ContractConfigurator v1.0.0.0 / v1.30.5
CorrectCoL v1.6.5.4
CraftImport v0.9.0.1
KXAPI v1.0.0.0
CraftManager v1.0.7240.23210
KatLib v1.0.7240.21438
SimpleBoiloff v0.2.1.0
KSP_Log v1.2.0.0 / v1.2.0
DeployableBatteries v0.2.0.8
DeployableEngines v2.2.0.0
DistantObject v0.0.0.0
KSPe.Light.DOE v2.4.0.4
DMagic v1.4.3.0 / vv1.4.3.0
DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric v0.23.0.0
ProgressParser v1.0.11.0 / vv11.0
ContractParser v1.0.9.0 / vv9.0
CapCom v1.0.2.11 / vv2.11
ContractsWindow v1.0.9.4 / vv9.4
ContractsWindow.Unity v1.0.9.4
DynamicBatteryStorage v1.0.0.0
EasyVesselSwitch v2.3.7852.41352 / v2.3 for KSP v1.11+
KSPDev_Utils.2.6-EVS v2.6.0.0 / v2.6 for KSP v1 - EVS build
EditorExtensionsRedux v3.4.3.5
Atmosphere v1.11.6.1
CelestialShadows v1.11.6.1
CityLights v1.11.6.1
EVEManager v1.11.6.1
PartFX v1.11.6.1
PQSManager v1.11.6.1
ShaderLoader v1.11.6.1
Terrain v1.11.6.1
TextureConfig v1.11.6.1
Utils v1.11.6.1
_BuildManager v1.11.6.1
EVATransfer v1.0.9.0 / vv9.0
FarFutureTechnologies v1.0.0.0
ButtonManager v1.0.1.1
FillitUp v0.2.0.3
Firespitter v7.3.7660.26532
FlagRotateCont v1.1.8.1
HangerExtenderExtended v3.6.0.2
KSP_GroundEffect v1.0.7035.29117
HideEmptyTechTreeNodes v1.0.0.0
JanitorsCloset v0.3.7.8
KAS-API-v2 v2.0.7239.35367 / vKAS API v2
KAS v1.10.7963.36977 / v1.10 for KSP v1
KSPDev_Utils.2.6-KAS v2.6.0.0 / v2.6 for KSP v1 - KAS build
KEI v1.2.10.3
KerbalEngineer.Unity v1.0.0.0
KerbalEngineer v1.1.9.0
DeployableAeroSurfaces v1.0.0.0
BetterKerbNet v1.0.5.0
KerboKatz.UI v1.0.1.0
KerboKatzUtilities v1.5.2.0
AutomatedScienceSampler v1.3.5.0
ASS.Plugin.DMagicOrbitalScience v1.3.5.0
ASS.Plugin.DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric v1.3.5.0
ASS.Plugin.StationScience v1.3.5.0
DailyFunds v1.5.4.0
DestroyAll v1.5.4.0
FPSLimiter v1.5.4.0
FPSViewer v1.5.4.0
KerbalScienceExchange v1.5.4.0
ModifiedExplosionPotential v1.5.4.0
PhysicalTimeRatioViewer v1.5.4.0
KIS v1.29.8039.40483 / v1.29 for KSP v1.12+
KSPDev_Utils.2.6 v2.6.7847.1936 / v2.6 for KSP v1
KSPRescuePodFix v1.0.0.0
LightsOutRelit v0.3.0.2
BetterManeuvering v1.0.5.0 / v5.0
BetterManeuvering.Unity v1.0.5.0
MechJeb2 v2.5.1.0 / v / v2.12.3.0
System.Buffers v4.0.3.0 / v4.6.28619.01 @BuiltBy: dlab14-DDVSOWINAGE069 @Branch: release/2.1 @SrcCode: https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/tree/7601f4f6225089ffb291dc7d58293c7bbf5c5d4f / v4.6.28619.01
MemGraph v1.2.0.1
DockingPortAlignmentIndicator v6.10.0.0
DPAI_RPM v1.0.0.2
ModuleDockingNodeNamed v1.0.0.2
NearFutureElectrical v1.0.0.0
NearFutureExploration v0.4.0.0
NFPropUtils v1.0.0.0
NearFuturePropulsion v0.9.0.0
NearFutureSolar v0.4.0.0
NearFutureUtils v0.0.0.0
FinalFrontier v1.0.0.0
PartCommanderCont v1.1.6.3
PatchManager v0.0.17.3
PlanetInfoPlus v1.0.0.0
PlanetShine v0.2.6.6
PreciseEditor v1.0.0.0
PreciseNode v1.2.11.3
ProceduralFairings v6.0.0.0 / v6.2.0.0
ProceduralParts v2.0.0.0 / v2.3.0.0
RCSBuildAid v1.0.6.35359
RCSBuildAidToolbar v1.0.6.35359
ReCoupler v1.0.0.0
ReentryParticleEffectRenewed v1.8.1.0
ResonantOrbitCalculator v0.0.6.3
Restock v0.1.0.0
RetractableLiftingSurface v0.2.1.2
SafeChute v2.1.19.0 / v2.1.19
SCANsat v1.20.4.0 / vv20.4
SCANmechjeb v1.20.4.0 / vv20.4
SCANsat.Unity v1.20.4.0
ScienceRelay v1.0.6.0 / vv6.0
0Harmony v1.2.0.1
Shabby v0.1.2.0 / v0.1.2
SmartDockingAid v1.0.0.0
SmartParts v1.9.16.2
SmokeScreen v2.8.14.0
SpaceDust v0.0.0.0
KSP_ColorPicker v1.1.0.4
KSP_PartHighlighter v1.1.0.10
SpaceTuxUtility v1.0.1.3
VesselModuleSave v1.0.1.2
SpeedUnitAnnex v1.4.4.0
Stock assembly: KSPSteamCtrlr v0.0.1.35
StageRecovery v1.9.5.4
HabUtils v1.0.0.0
KSPDev_Utils.2.3 v2.3.7435.219 / v2.3 for KSP v1
KSPDev_Utils.2.6-Lights v2.6.0.0 / v2.6 for KSP v1 - Surface Lights build
SurfaceLights v1.19.7854.4854 / v1.19 for KSP v1.11+
SystemHeat v0.1.0.0
TacFuelBalancer v2.21.5.2
BetterTracking v1.0.5.0 / v5.0
BetterTracking.Unity v1.0.5.0
Trajectories v2.4.3.0
TrajectoriesBootstrap v1.0.0.0
KerbalAlarmClock v3.13.0.0
TransferWindowPlanner v1.7.2.0
UniversalStorage2 v4.0.0.6
UniversalStorage2.Unity v1.8.0.0
VABReorienter v1.0.0.0
Waterfall v0.0.0.0
WaypointManager v2.8.2.7 / v2.8.1
KerbalActuators v1.0.0.0
Graphing v1.0.0.0
Wind Tunnel v1.3.0.0
KSP-AVC v0.0.0.1
ZeroMiniAVC v1.1.2.4
[x] Science! v5.25.7351.9485

I have ReStock installed but i am not sure if it is the culpript in this case.

Almost everything was installed by CKAN

P.S. Sorry for my English, it isn't my first language.

Edited by ISO

3 hours ago, ISO said:

Hi, I think I've found a new bug in this mod. (KSP 1.12.3  DOE 2.1.1.6)

I searched if this error was reported before in this (and in the previous manteiners) topic unsuccessfully.

It happens when the "Distant Vessel Rendering" is enabled and two (or more) vessels are in the distance threshold specified by the mod, the FPS drop from 60 to 20 (even with small relay satellite) and stops when the vessel reach the stock render distance.

I think it may be a interaction with some other add'on, because I had tested it on a pretty complex scenario and it worked fine - but only using Stock (and TweakScale) to tell you the true….

See, the following picture has two small crafts on the scene, all of them pretty far from the focused craft:

136482674-587d4a79-b637-41b7-9729-9db9ee

Another one, daylight this time:

135759693-4193b931-9989-4196-bf74-9bc346

I must have a screenshot somewhere on my rig with at least 4 or 5 crafts in the camera range, but beyound the physics, somewhere here… Anyway, the source for your problem appears to be something else.

Please reproduce the problem again, then quit KSP (to prevent it from truncating the log) and then publish your WHOLE KSP.log using dropbox or something so I can inspect it and see exactly what't happening.

Sometimes, the Exception you see is only a collateral effect of another one you are not seeing, and the KSP.log will help me if this is what's happening with you.

Edited by Lisias
whoopsy...

I have run into a problem which seems to be caused by DOE.  I installed Poods skyboxes and they were too dim.  He says to use DOE to adjust the brightness.  I did this and all was well for a while.  I turned the brightness up to 100% and turned the dimmer off. 

Then a problem cropped up.  The skybox would get dimmer until there was nothing but solid black everywhere.  My workaround is to install DOE, set it to 100% and dimmer off, then uninstall it.  This seems to work so far.

22 hours ago, miklkit said:

I have run into a problem which seems to be caused by DOE.  I installed Poods skyboxes and they were too dim.  He says to use DOE to adjust the brightness.  I did this and all was well for a while.  I turned the brightness up to 100% and turned the dimmer off. 

Nope. It's normal DOE behaviour! :)

It's the SkyBox dimmer. Every time you look to a planet or a Sun, the skybox will be dimmed.

22 hours ago, miklkit said:

Then a problem cropped up.  The skybox would get dimmer until there was nothing but solid black everywhere.  My workaround is to install DOE, set it to 100% and dimmer off, then uninstall it.  This seems to work so far.

Humm… Looks like a side effect of the issue #15. In fact, uninstalling DOE and the current SkyBox dimming being perpetuated is, by itself, a bug - more probably a new side effect of the #15.

As I said on the Poods Skyboxes thread, I'll pursue a workaround for what you need without DOE, as I expect that by fixing #15 the workaround you are relying to will cease to work!

Thanks for the head's up!

• 1 month later...

ANNOUNCE

Release 2.1.1.7 is available for downloading, with the following changes:

• A major screwup on Mono's libraries was detected and worked around by KSPe.Light.
    • Whole history available here.
  • Formalizes support for KSP 1.3.1. #HURRAY!!

I'm not 100% certain, but all the tests I made suggests I found a File Handler leakage on a Mono's low level library used by KSPe.Light. This Release merely update KSPe.Light to a version where the problem was (apparently) successfully worked around.

On the bright side, I spent a lot of time playing KSP 1.3.1 lately (just because I could), and DOE /L behave perfectly. So I'm formalising the KSP 1.3.1 support on this Release.

No screenshots this time, I'm in hurry. Again…  :P 

See OP for the links.

— — — — —

This Release will be published using the following Schedule:

The rationale is to gradually deploy the thing in order to cope with eventual mishaps before it reaches too much people.

Edited by Lisias
All your Distribution Channels are belong to us!! =P

• 1 month later...

Hi - wanted to share an observation I've been having and see what role DOE plays in this. Here's a screenshot:

Spoiler

8ofzSbj.png

(It probably needs to be expanded to full size to see the issue I'm asking about)

So this is an atmospheric probe descending into Saturn's atmosphere. The issue I have here is Earth, Mars, and Venus. They are perfect little textbook-colored dots, whereas the rest of the starfield has been dimmed as expected since we're looking right into the sun.

Does starfield dimming not apply to planets as well?

47 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Does starfield dimming not apply to planets as well?

Nope, the dimming is only applied to the skybox. Planet blinking and skybox dimming are, currently, completely different and independent modules.

In a way or another, I opened a issue so I don't forget to look on it when I (finally) have time again for development. Feel free to add any considerations (as space photographs with the phenomena) to it!

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/DistantObject/issues/20

Cheers!

Hi, I've encountered a weird graphical bug that I've not seen mentioned elsewhere. Object flares are only appearing at the very edge of the screen on the left and right, but aren't there otherwise. I can still mouse over and see the nametags appear, but there aren't any flares where they should be unless I rotate the field of view until they're at the edges of my screen. Once they pop in, they behave normally and respond to changing settings. If I disable skybox dimming, they stop appearing altogether. I'm running a bunch of other mods that I've been slowly adding to the game, unfortunately I didn't notice when this started happening so I can't pinpoint which mods might have conflicted with it, but I've had DOE on from the start and this didn't always happen.

Editing to add - looking at it again and I've noticed that there seems to be a radial threshold where the flares are popping in. Outside of a certain radius, the flares are appearing as normal, but at the radius they are cut off and aren't seen inside. Screenshot here shows a flare clipping this radius.

Thanks!

Modlist below

Spoiler

ASET Agency (ASETAgency 1.0)
ASET Props (ASETProps 1.5)
Astrogator (Astrogator v0.10.3)
Astronomer's Visual Pack (AstronomersVisualPack 3:v4.12)
Astronomer's Visual Pack-8k Textures (AVP-8kTextures v1.12)
BetterBurnTime (BetterBurnTime 1.10)
BetterTimeWarpContinued (BetterTimeWarpCont 2.3.13)
Breaking Ground (BreakingGround-DLC 1.7.1)
CapCom - Mission Control On The Go (CapCom 2.11)
Chatterer (Chatterer 0.9.99)
Chatterer Extended (ChattererExtended 0.6.2)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 1:0.1.10.17)
Community Delta-V Maps (CommunityDeltaVMaps 2:2.8)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 1.4.2)
Community Terrain Texture Pack (CommunityTerrainTexturePack 1:1.0.4)
Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 1.30.5)
Contract Parser (ContractParser 9.0)
Contracts Window + (ContractsWindowPlus 9.4)
Crowd Sourced Science (CrowdSourcedScience v6.0)
Custom Barn Kit (CustomBarnKit 1.1.22.0)
Distant Object Enhancement /L (DistantObject v2.1.1.7)
Distant Object Enhancement /L default config (DistantObject-default v2.1.1.7)
DMagic Orbital Science (DMagicOrbitalScience 1.4.3)
Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.10.0.0)
Environmental Visual Enhancements Redux (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 3:1.11.6.1)
Final Frontier (FinalFrontier 1.10.0-3485)
Harmony 2 (Harmony2 2.0.4.0)
Kerbal Changelog (KerbalChangelog v1.4.2)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.9.0)
Kerbalism (Kerbalism 3.14)
Kerbalism - Default Config (Kerbalism-Config-Default 3.14)
Kerbalism Companion Calculator (KerbalismCompanionCalculator v1.3.0)
Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier (Kopernicus 2:release-1.12.1-90)
LoadingTipsPlus (LoadingTipsPlus V1.9)
Making History (MakingHistory-DLC 1.12.1)
MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.14.1.0)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.10.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.2.1)
Outer Planets Mod (OuterPlanetsMod 2:2.2.10)
Parallax (Parallax 1.3.1)
Parallax - Stock Planet Textures (Parallax-StockTextures 1.3.1)
Parallax for OPM (Parallax-OuterPlanetsMod v1.0)
PlanetShine (PlanetShine 0.2.6.6)
PlanetShine - Default configuration (PlanetShine-Config-Default 0.2.6.6)
Precise Node (PreciseNode 1.2.11.3)
Progress Parser (ProgressParser 11.0)
RasterPropMonitor (RasterPropMonitor 1:v0.31.6)
RasterPropMonitor Core (RasterPropMonitor-Core 1:v0.31.6)
Reentry Particle Effect Renewed (ReentryParticleEffect 1.9.1.1)
REPOSoftTech-Agencies (REPOSoftTech-Agencies V1.5.9.0)
ResearchBodies (ResearchBodies 2:V1.13.0)
SCANsat (SCANsat v20.4)
Scatterer (Scatterer 3:v0.0834)
Scatterer Default Config (Scatterer-config 3:v0.0834)
Scatterer Sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 3:v0.0834)
SIMPLEX TechTree (SimplexTechTree 3:1.27)
Solar Panel Degradation (SolarPanelDegradation 1.0.0)
Strategia (Strategia 1.8.0)
Toolbar (Toolbar 1:1.8.0.7)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.6)
Trajectories (Trajectories v2.4.3)
Transfer Window Planner (TransferWindowPlanner v1.8.0.0)
TriggerAu Flags (TriggerAu-Flags v2.11.0.0)
TUFX (TUFX 1.0.2.3)
Universal Storage II Finalized (UniversalStorage2 4.0.0.7)
Waterfall Core (Waterfall 0.8.1)
Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.2.4)

Edited by Tomahol1