Threads of the month: October 2021

adsii1970

The KSP forum moderator's team presents the
Threads of the Month
October 2021 Edition

rmx1U6J.png?1

Hello and greetings to all!

October and a change in seasons is finally here! At both the community college and the university where I work, next week is Fall Break! And that means it's time for me to do a few housekeeping things here. I noticed in previous TOTMs I've done, there are a few mistakes I need to fix. :blush: I also need to get the artwork ready for the TOTM 2022 series, and a few other odds and ends I've been meaning to do over the past few months.

To continue a thing I started in May (2021) about the forum and new members as a way to answer the fears some folks had about the forum dying. In September, there were 349 new forum accounts created.  Of those, 152 have actively posted content (defined as having at least one post). This means that roughly 43.5% of the new user accounts are actively participating on the forum (while the percentage of active new forum members is up from last month, the total number of new accounts created for last month is down). If you're interested in seeing the new members to our forum, you can click here!

Now, without further delay, I present to you the threads of the month for October:

General community threads of the month:
This category features a thread that adds to the community and doesn't fit in the game support/game mod categories.

Unfortunately, we did not have any nominations for this category.

Game Support/Game Mod of the Month:

This category features a mod (or mods) which adds to the quality of life game play of Kerbal Space Program. This month, we have one thread in this category:

For many of us who play Kerbal Space Program, one of the things that's missing are ocean going vessels. Since the earliest days of KSP, we've created all kinds of craft - from stock craft to those with mods - to fulfill our needs to explore the briny depths of Kerbin. In this mod by @Caerfinon, a new era of maritime exploration and service has been added to the game - contracts! 

So, if you need some encouragement to explore the oceans of Kerbin, here's a mod for you!

Forum Member Created Challenges and Missions:  

This is a new category we are adding to the Threads of the Month. For the past few years, we have seen a lot of really good missions and challenges threads created that expand our fun with the game and presses our skills, creativity, and sometimes, luck, beyond what we get accustomed to. Let's face it, we all have our go-to design basics, our go-to Kermen, and even our go-to vehicles we like to use. So sometimes a good challenge can cause us to think of another way to achieve our goals.

How many times have you started Kerbal Space Program to sit in front of your computer, with the editor music blaring in the background, watching the Kermen and the vehicles scoot across the background, just not sure what to do next? Well maybe a member-submitted challenge or mission is the thing for you! Sure, the competition is now over, but to be honest, there are a lot of these missions within our forum that are great springboards for mission ideas - and it doesn't matter if it is a sandbox, science, or career mission! In this thread, @jimmymcgoochie introduces the context:

Tales of the Kerbals' great Space Races have reached their distant cousins, the Gaelans. Though less technologically advanced and with a society less focussed on industry than Kerbin, the citizens of Gael are eager to strike out and explore the many planets and moons of the Ciro system- and maybe even its close neighbour Grannus.

Obviously the discussions about how to set about this astronomical task immediately broke down into bickering, name calling and eventually a full blown food fight. The Gaelan High Council eventually had to step in and restore order- by starting a Space Race of their own, complete with spectacular prizes for the winners.

So, what are you waiting for? Go take a look at the mission requirements and go have some fun!

Fan-fiction, Mission Reports, and Kerbal Space Program-inspired Creative Thread of the Month:
This category features a thread (or threads) which while is not directly Kerbal Space Program related, may be a creative work, fan-fiction, or other presentation which is related to the game. For this month, we have one thread in this category.

This month's winner for this category is by @Jacktical and one that shares a common theme with a few of our more recent TOTM winners for the same category. The description of the thread begins:

In the 1980s, NASA proposed a concept for a permanently crewed Earth orbiting space station, dubbed Space Station Freedom. Freedom would be the US counterpart to the Russian Mir. But as time went on, and support for the idea dwindled, space station freedom was canned. Luckily, this concept would eventually evolve into the International Space Station that we have today.

If you're needing inspiration to see how others envision a functioning space program, or to use Kerbal Space Program to re-imagine what should have been, then this is a thread you should visit. 

Honorable mentions:

Each month we get so many good nominations to choose from. Sometimes it's a challenge to choose which threads are going to receive the honor of being the Thread of the Month. But because not every thread nominated each month can be selected, there are always those that become honorable mentions. The honorable mentions for October 2021 are:

Honorable mentions for October may not have made the Thread of The Month this month, but if you think they might be worthy of another opportunity, please renominate it!

Congratulations to all the winners of the Thread of the Month for October! We'd like to thank @Spaceman.Spiff, @Kuiper_Belt@Stormpilot, @The Doodling Astronaut, @Hyperspace Industries, @Kerbal Productions, @Interplanet Janet, @ColdJ, @Lisias, and the members of the moderation team who nominated this month's contenders. Thank you so much for helping us identify noteworthy threads for this month!

And this month, I want to extend a heartfelt thank you to @UomoCapra for allowing me to serve as a member of the KSP moderation team and for the other endeavors he has given me an opportunity to be involved. And I also thank our community managers, particularly @KSPStar for the advice given to help me support the community even better. :)

TO NOMINATE  A THREAD FOR CONSIDERATION: If you find a thread you feel should be considered for next month's thread of the month, then use the "report comment" feature (the three dots on the upper right corner of the comment box) to report the comment. Please put in the text field of the report post "Nomination for thread of the month" and we will do the rest! You can always nominate more than one thread, too.

In case you missed September's threads of the month, you can click here.

Guest The Doodling Astronaut
16 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Congratulations to all the winners of the Thread of the Month for September!

In case you missed September's ...

You might wanna fix this. It's no big deal tho.

I kinda like the name September 2.0 over October :joy:

Congrats to everyone who won this month

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.