[1.9.x - 1.12.x] Precursors V1.7.1-- ODYSSEY UPDATE -- NOW ON GITHUB!

wpetula

On 6/17/2022 at 3:51 PM, bigyihsuan said:

What is the latest version of Scatter that this supports? I'm asking this because of other planet packs only supporting a max of v0.7xxx because of config changes with v0.8xxx.

Hopefully the most recent version where atmospheres are now calculated within the configs.

• 1 month later...

For anyone looking for a more challenging and surprisingly realistic setup for this pack, Rescale 10x and smurff.  Nearly same orbital speed as earth and a quick satellite rocket capable of geostationary resulted in a payload to low orbit ratio of 4% (real earth is 5%)

Announcement: new updates are coming!

While creating the official Precursors trailer, I realized that a few of the celestial bodies in Precursors desperately need revamps. 

Here's the agenda:

• Completely revamp Scar and Icebound
  • Enhance Maar by making it less uniform

Currently, the new Scar is just about finished and will be released soon. Stay tuned!

58 minutes ago, Xt007 said:

For anyone looking for a more challenging and surprisingly realistic setup for this pack, Rescale 10x and smurff.  Nearly same orbital speed as earth and a quick satellite rocket capable of geostationary resulted in a payload to low orbit ratio of 4% (real earth is 5%)

Out of curiosity, is the terrain really boring / samey at that scale?

8 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

A. It won't let me view any of the files. Did you give me viewing rights?

B. Do you have any planet packs installed already? Precursors is a system replacer, so other system replacers will break the game.

18 hours ago, Xt007 said:

This is with a TUFX profile.  I like it, gives it a "we're in the VERY early stages of colonizing/terraforming this planet.

PClBcuy.jpegbDlUoiO.jpeg

Please, please tell me that Frontier's atmosphere isn't blue by default. Is TUFX adding a blue tint to the atmosphere?

6 minutes ago, wpetula said:

B. Do you have any planet packs installed already? Precursors is a system replacer, so other system replacers will break the game.

You might need to download them, they are in a zip folder

no I do not have any other planets packs

6 minutes ago, wpetula said:

I just had to remove and add back the pack
Nevermind, still broken, but this time it loaded the loading screens!

Edited by Rutabaga22

Version 1.5 is released!

MOON OVERHAULS -- PART 1

While making the official Precursors trailer, I realized that Scar, Icebound, and Maar desperately needed revamps. Here's the plan:

• 1.5 --> Scar
  • 1.5.1 --> Maar
  • 1.5.2 --> Icebound

Each sub-update will also be bundled with general visual or gameplay enhancements.

Changelog for 1.5

• Completely overhauled Scar with new maps, biomes, lore, and more
  • Added custom atmospheric rims to all atmospheric bodies
  • Reduced the saturation of Frontier and Windswept's color maps
  • Fixed the broken steep textures on Echo
  • Fixed the transparent terrain issue on Windswept
  • Fixed the stock green atmosphere issue on Serenity and Tranquility
  • Stock atmosphere tweaks on a few bodies
  • New opening logo splash screen
  • Added a few experimental custom surface scatters
  • Minor config tweaks

NOTE: I accidentally included the cache files along with the update. These are generated by default when you start the game, so don't be concerned by the increased download size. I advise you delete the cache included in the download before starting your game.

Screenshots

Scar 2.0

8ESQWp9.png

UhwW6oc.png

WirgZ05.png

Improved stock visuals

cJswucs.png

V4kyXwW.png

Download Precursors 1.5 on SpaceDock (https://spacedock.info/mod/2869/Precursors Planet Pack) now!

Edited by wpetula

Hiho.

I recently started this planet pack and enjoy it (Frontier and Scar only so far).
I have however run into some visual issues.

First is on the campaign I started, with a bunch of utility mods (no graphics ones). 
The issue I have is that often (but not always) terrain gets transparent. It happens on Scar gradually in the first few thousand meters and then the moon's surface is completely invisible until I leave atmosphere. On Frontier the ground also occasionally turns completely transparent, although not everywhere. Transferring from orbit to atmosphere might be related. My plane didn't encounter it.
Similar problems have been reported in this thread but not for those two planets or to this extend?
https://i.imgur.com/4JhsU8L.jpg

I uninstalled scatterer suspecting it might cause this, but that just turns the terrain into this (both with other mods and with just Precursor):
https://i.imgur.com/igG5gwd.jpg

(I tried it in a clean KSP install with just the Precursor pack (without scatterer), Kopernicus and the strictly required mods, with the same result above.
https://i.imgur.com/nOZBusd.jpg)

So in summary:
- extensive transparency issues with terrain on Scar and less often Frontier with scatterer on. Playable as terrain gets visible very close to the ground.
- removing scatterer increases transparency issues making the game close to unplayable
- I removed all other mods on a clean KSP install and the issue persists

Thanks for your work on this, have fun.

37 minutes ago, Therlun said:

I recently started this planet pack and enjoy it (Frontier and Scar only so far).

Did you try deleting the cache? If that does not work, delete the cache again and try using a new save (use the cheat menu to check whether the issues are still present).

Another possibility is that Precursors is incompatible with the latest version of Kopernicus Stable Branch. My setup is using a version from mid June (6/14/22 or a little later). If you don't mind, try reverting back and see if the transparency issues resolve themselves. 

Thanks for the feedback! 

1 hour ago, wpetula said:

Did you try deleting the cache? If that does not work, delete the cache again and try using a new save (use the cheat menu to check whether the issues are still present).

Another possibility is that Precursors is incompatible with the latest version of Kopernicus Stable Branch. My setup is using a version from mid June (6/14/22 or a little later). If you don't mind, try reverting back and see if the transparency issues resolve themselves. 

I assume you mean the cache in the OR folder? Deleting those files did not change anything.

I tried using Kopernicus 113 and 114 (june 13-15) and that also didn't change anything.
Visible here is that it seems to be range related. I can see the ground near the landed craft, but the mountains further away already turn transparent.
https://i.imgur.com/EZyug2K.jpg

Further testing
Trying older versions of Precursors I can narrow it down to something that got updated in this mod. I tried Precursors 1.3 and it worked fine. I tried different patches to pinpoint it:
- 1.5  and 1.4.2 have the issues visible in my post above concerning both transparency and use without scatterer.
- 1.3, 1.4 and 1.4.1 do -not- have any transparency issues (1.3 also works normally when I remove scatterer, I assume the same for the other versions).

Something in 1.4.2 broke it for me.
I don't know how closely related the transparency issue is to the glitches when playing without scatterer , but they seem to have the same cause.

Should be possible to confirm if someone does a similar path of:
- clean steam install
- Ckan, install  Precursors (1.5) and any dependencies
- either remove scatterer and check KSC for graphics glitches, or play with scatterer and check if Scar terrain starts vanishing beyond 500 meters.

Edited by Therlun

1 hour ago, Therlun said:

Something in 1.4.2 broke it for me.

This is the version where I swapped out the CTTP terrain textures for stock terrain textures. Interestingly, this was done to FIX the transparent ground problem. Before, I had to use underground oceans on all the vacuum bodies to keep the terrain visible, which caused all sorts of additional issues. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, urturino said:

It seems a great planet pack. There is a delta-v map?

Install Astrogator, it'll give a rough approximation of a transfer burn from wherever you are to everywhere, as well as when the transfer window is It'll also give an approximation for how much dV it takes to get to low orbit, which is nice.

This works regardless of solar system.