[1.9.x - 1.12.x] Precursors V1.7.1-- ODYSSEY UPDATE -- NOW ON GITHUB!

wpetula

19 minutes ago, Lithium-7 said:

you're not coming back from Serenity's oceans without, like, a Gravimetric Engine from Kerbal Flying Saucers or an equivalent torch ship drive.

Or RTG-powered Breaking Ground propellers! I've had surprisingly good results getting them to work on similarly challenging bodies. Of course, they don't use up delta-v in the same way that rockets do, so they don't produce a meaningful ascent value either.

15 minutes ago, Lithium-7 said:

Also... Spoilers below!

Hide contents

But wasn't Tranquility supposed to have a rocky surface? In my testing I discovered that it appeared to function exactly like any other gas world- no ground at all. I had to edit my quicksave to get a landed vessel state just for Astrogator to even give me the ascent numbers.

That feature used to exist, but it was removed in 1.6.

Spoiler

From the 1.6 patch notes:

Spoiler

-Removed Tranquility’s glitched surface

11 hours ago, Leganeski said:

Or RTG-powered Breaking Ground propellers! I've had surprisingly good results getting them to work on similarly challenging bodies. Of course, they don't use up delta-v in the same way that rockets do, so they don't produce a meaningful ascent value either.

That feature used to exist, but it was removed in 1.6.

Reveal hidden contents

From the 1.6 patch notes:

Reveal hidden contents

-Removed Tranquility’s glitched surface

Okay, I did some slightly more comprehensive calculations using Transfer Window Planner and three potential ejection burns, using the average for my final number. This time, I also kept track of the error margins I used.

Plus, I rounded up to the nearest 5.

Fracture: 1460 (margin of 200) - 1262.66 before margin and rounding

Echo: 390 (margin of 100) - 290 before margin and rounding

Windswept: 290 (margin of 50) - 243.33 before margin and rounding

Scourge: 90 (margin of 20) - 68.66 before margin and rounding... surprised it's not 66.66

Rage: 185 (margin of 40) - 145 before margin and rounding

Serenity: 360 (margin of 100) - 258 before margin and rounding

Does that look better? If you think the error margins should be different by the way, let me know. They could be too big, or too small.

15 minutes ago, Lithium-7 said:

If you think the error margins should be different by the way, let me know. They could be too big, or too small.

A 20-30% error margin is totally reasonable, if a bit on the high side. For consistency, I would recommend choosing some standardized way to calculate error margins (25%? 100 m/s? 30% capped at 200 m/s?), but that is entirely your decision.

18 minutes ago, Lithium-7 said:

Okay, I did some slightly more comprehensive calculations using Transfer Window Planner and three potential ejection burns, using the average for my final number. This time, I also kept track of the error margins I used.

Plus, I rounded up to the nearest 5.

Fracture: 1460 (margin of 200) - 1262.66 before margin and rounding

Echo: 390 (margin of 100) - 290 before margin and rounding

Windswept: 290 (margin of 50) - 243.33 before margin and rounding

Scourge: 90 (margin of 20) - 68.66 before margin and rounding... surprised it's not 66.66

Rage: 185 (margin of 40) - 145 before margin and rounding

Serenity: 360 (margin of 100) - 258 before margin and rounding

I got almost exactly the same numbers for Fracture and Echo, but still significantly less for the other planets.

However, my numbers are entirely theoretical, while yours came from real maneuvers. An experiment is worth more than any prediction, and maneuvers from TWP are much more similar to what players using the map will actually be doing, so you should probably stick with what you found.

13 hours ago, Lithium-7 said:

Hey, so, I made a Delta-V map! I'm not very good at math though, so I mostly used Astrogator, MechJeb, and maneuver node fiddling to create it.

Math or not, I am extremely impressed!

May I post this on the OP and on my Kopernicus Discord thread? All credit will be given to you. 

12 hours ago, Lithium-7 said:

But wasn't Tranquility supposed to have a rocky surface? In my testing I discovered that it appeared to function exactly like any other gas world- no ground at all. I had to edit my quicksave to get a landed vessel state just for Astrogator to even give me the ascent numbers.

Until the 1.6 update, Tranquility DID have a rocky surface; however, it was impossible to land on. Because Tranquility uses the Jool template, KSP considered all ships landed on Tranquility's surface to be "flying". I tried switching the template to something else, but this just caused more problems. 

Also, while the surface had some cool terrain scatters, it didn't add much to the gameplay. 

9 minutes ago, wpetula said:

Because Tranquility uses the Jool template, KSP considered all ships landed on Tranquility's surface to be "flying".

Wait, Serenity also uses the Jool template. Is the problem avoided there because of the ocean, or do you get a "bottomless ocean" by forever remaining in a "splashed down" state?

53 minutes ago, wpetula said:

Math or not, I am extremely impressed!

May I post this on the OP and on my Kopernicus Discord thread? All credit will be given to you. 

Until the 1.6 update, Tranquility DID have a rocky surface; however, it was impossible to land on. Because Tranquility uses the Jool template, KSP considered all ships landed on Tranquility's surface to be "flying". I tried switching the template to something else, but this just caused more problems. 

Also, while the surface had some cool terrain scatters, it didn't add much to the gameplay. 

I'm redoing some of my calculations to use more consistent error margins, so I'd wait a bit on that first. Once I've done that, I'll release the updated version and post it here- then yeah, you can absolutely do that!

2 hours ago, wpetula said:

Okay, well, my testing install was being incredibly uncooperative and refused to work correctly to allow me to test out all the calcs again, so I guess that's not happening, as I'd like to do something else tonight.

That said, I did update the values to use averaged transfer numbers. We can just go with this one until someone bothers to do better math, I guess.

Feel free to post this one!

Edit: Oh yeah, also, in my attempts at testing I discovered that capturing around Fracture can easily take over 10,000m/s of dV if you come in at over 10km/s, which is kind of hard not to do. MechJeb kept making big course corrections that resulted in slingshotting low around the Sun, massively speeding up the intercept. So the listed value is only for intercepts in the more reasonable 6km/s - 7km/s range.

Spoiler

f3m3uxv.png

Edited by Lithium-7
Okay, sorry for all the edits, I think I'm done tweaking this version of the map for now.

4 hours ago, Lithium-7 said:

That said, I did update the values to use averaged transfer numbers. We can just go with this one until someone bothers to do better math, I guess.

Feel free to post this one!

Done! I can't stop looking at your map. It's very, very well designed.

Amusing how you just gave up on the gas giants. :)

Hey! I've got two more little presents for you to use: A Distant Object Enhancement config, and a PlanetShine config- both using the same color values. You have my full permission to incorporate these into the mod itself.

DOE: https://pastebin.com/uPqqzZnk

PlanetShine: https://pastebin.com/UfWW14Ab

I tested them a bit and confirmed they both work nicely. Colors were loosely based off of taking screenshots of the bodies, and getting the average color- though the result was brightened in a few cases, mostly for atmospheric worlds.

1 hour ago, 8bitgammers said:

How do I get the custom EVE clouds to show up? I read the instructions to delete the "Kerbin" folder from Scatterer, but this changed nothing.

Install Precursors and EVE Redux by following the installation guides for each. You shouldn’t have BoulderCo or other EVE config packs (Spectra, etc.) in your KSP GameData folder.

• 2 weeks later...

Update 1.6.1 is out NOW on SpaceDock!

MuegPyB.png

EoRQlXP.png

TE8vnVQ.png

Rz7qp6i.png

ikhyuIO.png

Description

The Homeworld Update started out as a simple patch for bugs that arose following the .png to .dds conversion. Now, it contains much more, including long-awaited improvements to Frontier and its moon Scar. Download Precursors now at https://spacedock.info/mod/2869/Precursors Planet Pack.

Changelog

-New land features and better terrain on Frontier

-Overhauled Frontier's atmosphere to have a more realistic pressure curve (atmo is now around 40 km)

-Improved Scar's color map

-Adjusted Fracture's atmospheric heating to (hopefully) make it possible to visit

-Added and improved lore and worldbuilding on several celestial bodies

-Fixed the flipped biome maps on some planets and moons

-Fixed Silence's flipped color map

-Minor config tweaks

Edited by wpetula

1 hour ago, wpetula said:

Update 1.6.1 is out NOW on SpaceDock!

MuegPyB.png

EoRQlXP.png

TE8vnVQ.png

Rz7qp6i.png

ikhyuIO.png

Description

The Homeworld Update started out as a simple patch for bugs that arose following the .png to .dds conversion. Now, it contains much more, including long-awaited improvements to Frontier and its moon Scar. Download Precursors now at https://spacedock.info/mod/2869/Precursors Planet Pack.

Changelog

-New land features and better terrain on Frontier

-Overhauled Frontier's atmosphere to have a more realistic pressure curve (atmo is now around 40 km)

-Improved Scar's color map

-Adjusted Fracture's atmospheric heating to (hopefully) make it possible to visit

-Added and improved lore and worldbuilding on several celestial bodies

-Fixed the flipped biome maps on some planets and moons

-Fixed Silence's flipped color map

-Minor config tweaks

I have been looking and wondering for a while, how do I find said lore and worldbuilding stuff?

1 hour ago, Sky Kerman said:

I have been looking and wondering for a while, how do I find said lore and worldbuilding stuff?

The science configs and descriptions.

4 hours ago, zonyfony said:

for some reason when i tried landing on it for the first time, the whole moon is like transparent, I can barely see the land and I had trouble landing. could somebody help me out with this problem

I visited Scar on my setup and found no issues. Which mods do you have installed, and what version of Precursors are you running?

On 2/8/2023 at 5:24 AM, wpetula said:

The science configs and descriptions.

I visited Scar on my setup and found no issues. Which mods do you have installed, and what version of Precursors are you running?

I've got the same bug. Frontier is transparent for me in addition to scar. I just installed the mod from this link yesterday https://spacedock.info/mod/2869/Precursors Planet Pack so I'm pretty sure I've got the latest version. The only additional mods I'm running are better timewarp and ker and kerbal alarm clock...

4 hours ago, RootNegativeOne said:

I've got the same bug. Frontier is transparent for me in addition to scar. I just installed the mod from this link yesterday https://spacedock.info/mod/2869/Precursors Planet Pack so I'm pretty sure I've got the latest version. The only additional mods I'm running are better timewarp and ker and kerbal alarm clock...

Try deleting Precursor’s cache files. If that doesn’t work, I’ll take a look at what the issue might be. My guess is that either a small KSP update messed everything up or an update to Kopernicus did.

On that note, make sure that your Kopernicus version is up to date.

Edited by wpetula

Hey @wpetula, the planet pack is straight FIRE. I know this might be difficult technically, but is there any chance to get parallax modified to (or included into) this planet pack? I understand that probably every model/texture would have to be re-made or changed in order to suit to each planet. Just thinking out loud and would be thankful for your thoughts on this.

39 minutes ago, stickman050 said:

get parallax modified to (or included into) this planet pack?

This is something I hope to focus on in a future update. Unfortunately, I have no idea when that update will be developed.

On 2/7/2023 at 4:34 PM, zonyfony said:

i need help with a problem with scar

for some reason when i tried landing on it for the first time, the whole moon is like transparent, I can barely see the land and I had trouble landing. could somebody help me out with this problem

This happened to me as well, what I did was I uninstalled Scatterer and that fixed it.