[1.9.x - 1.12.x] Precursors V1.7.1-- ODYSSEY UPDATE -- NOW ON GITHUB!

wpetula

1 hour ago, qwertyza said:

Looks cool, but have to double - KSC floats above the ground, this makes driving off the launch pad impossible.

And is it normal that air breathing engines don't work - air deprived? 

The floating KSC is a bug I am currently trying to fix. As for the lack of oxygen on Frontier...that's a feature. Because numerous people have mentioned it at this point, I might add oxygen to Frontier in the next update.

Edited by wpetula

6 hours ago, qwertyza said:

Well, it basically cuts a decent chunk of content then.

I suppose so. But consider the people who play Eve Space Program and Duna Space Program. One of whom made their own mod for air-breathing engines that work where and when the stock airplane engines should but no longer can. (The homeworld will need to count as a hydrocarbon world, though, to make sense lore-wise for this parts mod.)

And I have an answer to high-end aircraft propulsion for when you reach the atomic spaceplane phase.

So you're not really missing out (not in engine progression anyway) unless you're really dependent on IntakeAir for some reason.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Version 1.1 is released! 

POLISHING UPDATE 

Here we are, everyone! With the 1.1 update (labeled as 1.0.8 in the license, whoops) comes numerous bug fixes and, well, polish.

-Updated Scar's terrain and normal map

-Revamped Abyss' color map

-Toned down Abyss' ocean and sky color without Scatterer installed

-Fixed the floating KSC issue 

-Added oxygen to Frontier (while oxygen on Frontier is now part of the mod lore, feel free to go into the config and switch it off)

-Added more science

-Adjusted the distances at which some bodies orbit

-Removed Serenity 

-Minor tweaks

---------------------------------------------------------------

Precursors has reached a point where I am satisfied with it content-wise. The solar system may feel small, but I always prefer choosing quality over quantity. I am hoping to move on to a new project before the release of KSP 2*. That being said, Precursors will still receive bug fixes and patches. Major updates, if they happen, will be infrequent. Thank you everyone for your continued support and feedback! This was my first modding experience, and I had a great time.:D

*EDIT: actually, I am going to continue making Precursors as amazing of an experience as possible. Look out for EVE and Parallex support in the coming months!

Edited by wpetula

The screenshots look awesome! Do you have an overview of the different planets and moons, or some sort of guide for the solar system layout? This mod definitely looks cool, but I'd be curious as to what sort of challenges and game play I'd be getting myself into before I download it.

On 12/31/2021 at 3:31 PM, Badoobicus said:

The screenshots look awesome! Do you have an overview of the different planets and moons, or some sort of guide for the solar system layout? This mod definitely looks cool, but I'd be curious as to what sort of challenges and game play I'd be getting myself into before I download it.

You know...I really should make a diagram detailing the solar system and its many worlds. Now I have a fun project for the New Year!

Since that diagram doesn't exist yet, some of the challenges in the mod involve

-Intense heat

-Extreme terrain

-Gravity

-Limited visibility

-Etc.

Using Scatterer adds even more content.

Gameplay wise, the solar system is slightly smaller than the stock system. This decrease in size is balanced by an increase in celestial body quality. Each world was designed to be both challenging and fun. For example, the starting world (Frontier) is an icy Super-Kerbin with a thin but dense atmosphere.

Also, all worlds are unique both aesthetically and dynamically. Don't worry about this pack being full of Dres clones!

Edited by wpetula

Did you know if you load Beyond home in x10 scale you get the same thing?  I bet its due to the height of KSC in the CFG.  also, can it be a patch in the settings to change Frontier to an Oxygen World?

On 12/22/2021 at 6:50 AM, wpetula said:

The floating KSC is a bug I am currently trying to fix. As for the lack of oxygen on Frontier...that's a feature. Because numerous people have mentioned it at this point, I might add oxygen to Frontier in the next update.

Oh yeah and the name Maar... Jade  of Maar is not going to be Happy.

Great Planet Pack!!!

Edited by JNSQFan

2 hours ago, JNSQFan said:

also, can it be a patch in the settings to change Frontier to an Oxygen World?

As of 1.1, Frontier has oxygen. If you want to switch the oxygen off, just go into the config for Frontier and set oxygen to "false". It's a super quick, easy fix.

2 hours ago, JNSQFan said:

Oh yeah and the name Maar... Jade  of Maar is not going to be Happy.

:)

Oh yeah.  And another flaw I find many planet packs have is the size of the star.  In planet packs like GPP, GEP, JNSQ, Linbol and other realistic planet packs like RSS, the star is correctly rescaled by its true size in sun radii and rescale factor.  Assuming Solus is the same size as Kerbol, then the size should be radius of sun/10.6 (rescale factor) or about 65550km.  Kerbol was only made as large as 261600 km because they wanted Mun eclipses to Work and the Mun was like 3x closer and 1.3x larger than in real life.  You might want to change Solus' size to 25% original and geeASL by 16x (to make the mass not change)

7 hours ago, JNSQFan said:

You might want to change Solus' size to 25% original and geeASL by 16x (to make the mass not change)

Hmm, I'll look into those other planet packs you mentioned and see what they've done. I always just assumed that Kerbol was realistically scaled down just like Kerbin. Thanks!

On 12/31/2021 at 3:31 PM, Badoobicus said:

Do you have an overview of the different planets and moons, or some sort of guide for the solar system layout?

I just added a system layout to the first post. It isn't the poster I mentioned making (currently figuring that out), but it's a good stand in. 

Version 1.1.1 is released! 

SCATTERER UPDATE

-Precursors is now compatible with the most recent version of Scatterer (0.0829)

-Atmosphere colors restored

-Enhanced atmosphere effects

-Adjusted the size of Solus to be more realistic

-Fixed the lack of color contrast on Silence's surface

-Celestial body description tweaks

-Minor config adjustments

....also, a new moon may or may not be added with the next update ;)

Edited by wpetula

On 12/23/2021 at 10:52 PM, wpetula said:

Major updates, if they happen, will be infrequent.

Maybe I spoke too soon.

Version 1.2 is released! 

POLISHING UPDATE 2

-Fixed the shiny surfaces issue (YAY!)

-Added Char, a moon of Fracture

-Added a new biome to Fracture

-Added polar caps to Silence

-Added more science

-Added new loading screens

-Reduced the yellow tint of the snow on Silence

-Adjusted the color of Tension's terrain

-Increased the PQS tiling on some celestial bodies

-Changed some celestial bodies' initial rotation

-Celestial body description tweaks

-Minor Scatterer tweaks

-Minor config tweaks

I know I said I was done with this mod, but I realized something: why work on a new project when I can continue maxing out the quality of this one? As you can see, this update is huge. Have fun, everyone!

V1.2 screenshots (SPOILERS)

Spoiler

Z5SPv23.png

ZVU3PE2.png

YHr1ikM.png

7WqsPVN.png

lmHSLLd.png

EeJNLV3.png

zDNVz4U.png

(There are lots of screenshots :))

• 1 month later...

The thread for Precursors has been quiet for a long time. However, know I am still adding more to the mod! I have been working on two things: a brand new content update and a *special surprise*. Hopefully I can get both out sometime in the next two weeks!

Precursors has been in development for about a year and a half. Since its initial release, the mod has come a long way. The roadmap for the future includes attention to the outer solar system and visual mod support. If I can get Scatterer to cooperate, an interstellar patch might also be released (no promises). This roadmap is subject to change.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...