The mystery of the anniversary anomaly

jimmymcgoochie

After wandering in search of anomalies, one of my rovers hunted down Anniversary 2; for those of you who haven't found that yet, spoiler alert!

Spoiler

3D4CTMA.png

However, revisiting the same location this afternoon with the reflection settings turned up, I noticed something that I've never seen before- there's a plaque with Russian writing on the bottom:

Spoiler

0SiJXmG.png

This plaque says "chief engineer!" in Russian, but isn't a feature of the real Sputnik 1.

So here's the mystery: what's this a reference to? Perhaps it's a nod to HarvesteR? Anyone else seen this before, or any official KSP people have a definitive answer?

Edited by jimmymcgoochie
Spoilers?

10 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

After wandering in search of anomalies, one of my rovers hunted down Anniversary 2; for those of you who haven't found that yet, spoiler alert!

3D4CTMA.png

However, revisiting the same location this afternoon with the reflection settings turned up, I noticed something that I've never seen before- there's a plaque with Russian writing on the bottom:

0SiJXmG.png

This plaque says "chief engineer!" in Russian, but isn't a feature of the real Sputnik 1. So here's the mystery: what's this a reference to? Perhaps it's a nod to HarvesteR? Anyone else seen this before, or any official KSP people have a definitive answer?

@SQUAD, @JPLRepo, @RoverDude, @KSPStar

Guest The Doodling Astronaut
19 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

one of the great mysteries... I'm not going to answer it.

Probably in reference to the Chief Engineer of Squad liking Sputnik or themself making it.

Not sure why I didn't notice it until now. I made a literal video on this easter egg (Timestamped):

Spoiler

I guess my brightness settings weren't high enough

5 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Probably in reference to the Chief Engineer of Squad liking Sputnik or themself making it.

Not sure why I didn't notice it until now. I made a literal video on this easter egg (Timestamped):

Hide contents

I guess my brightness settings weren't high enough

I think you just got to it while that side was in shadow. I only noticed it after turning on reflections as it’s nearly invisible without that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.