Is there a mod for round "wheels"

Stewcumber

I like making cars using the electric rotors as "engines". Unfortunately the rotors were really designed for, well, rotorcraft so if I try to attach some kind of "wheel" to the rotor, they are at best 24 sided shaped (the Rocomax Brand Adapter 02 is the best example) and not actual circles. I have also tried attaching objects radially to an axle or similar which creates an octogen, but you can then layer this 3 times to create 24 sides again. This makes driving along bumpy. I've tried all the round looking parts and they're all not actually round. I also have to set their collision speed settings to 1,000 or whatever so they don't explode if I travel too fast.

Does anyone know of any mods that give a completely round, attachable wheel like object?

Here is are some examples of what I mean...

2059-d-S9-Ent-H.gif

2877-2wxe2os.gif

2057-J4-XYH6-A.gif

I think no, because the Unity game-engine colliders are box, sphere, capsule, and mesh, where only the sphere and capsule have round sides.  

The Probodobodyne Stayputnik has a spherical collider, and the mod Collide-o-Scope draws the colliders so you can see which other parts are.  You can edit the scale of the part in the *.cfg file, or maybe with the mod Tweakscale (which I haven't used myself).

Edited by OHara

On 10/8/2021 at 8:06 PM, OHara said:

You can edit the scale of the part in the *.cfg file, or maybe with the mod Tweakscale (which I haven't used myself).

TweakScale surely helps, but it will only scale the part, not make it rounded. The nice thing of TweakScale is that it will scale up all the part's characteristics for you (wright, resistance, price, etc).

But you will still have the collider's problem to solve.

Edited by Lisias
Better phrasing

Those are really cool cars.

StratenBlitz, I believe, recently did some videos where he used a gimmick to get near infinite symmetry on VAB builds, and then offset those parts to make rings many km in diameter.   Perhaps if you use a similar method on some of the more robust parts, you could take the 24x symmetry and make it much more for smoother wheels.   I don't know enough details of the technique to offer more than that breadcrumb though. 

On 10/9/2021 at 9:05 AM, Stewcumber said:

they are at best 24 sided shaped (the Rocomax Brand Adapter 02 is the best example) and not actual circles.

Attach 2 more, 1 after the other to the original and rotate them slighty each time till you get a 72 sided roll, then nest them in to the original so they occupy the same space. If that is not enough keep doing it till you are happy. Even real circles are flawed when looked at closely enough, but get the gaps small enough and you can't tell.

On 10/21/2021 at 3:31 AM, ColdJ said:

Attach 2 more, 1 after the other to the original and rotate them slighty each time till you get a 72 sided roll, then nest them in to the original so they occupy the same space. If that is not enough keep doing it till you are happy. Even real circles are flawed when looked at closely enough, but get the gaps small enough and you can't tell.

that... is a very good workaround! The Rockomax if that's what they're called are annoying bouncy and either too friction-y or not frictiony enough. I seem to have more success attaching friction pads to them (on a 8 rotation, three times, now on all three "rims" per wheel).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.