Jump to content

NASA general discussion thread


Recommended Posts

I was saddened by the fact that there was no thread do talk about all things NASA, instead there was many different threads on more specific topics so I thought I might start my own :sticktongue:

However this likely won't go very far as I'm not a well known member of the community.

Other NASA threads:
 

Spoiler

 

Now  who's excited for LUCY? I certainly am!

https://www.planetary.org/video/lucy-mission-trajectory
 

 

Edited by Mr.dobsonian
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The parker solar probe will preform another flyby of Venus a few hours after the launch of LUCY, this flyby will send the probe around a million kilometres closer to the sun than before and after two additional venus flybys the parker solar probe will eventually reach within  6.4 million kilometres of the sun in late 2024.
If you want to read more head to this link: https://blogs.nasa.gov/parkersolarprobe/2021/10/

If this thread fails to get people discussing NASA related things I will switch it to NASA news thread and will do weekly updates.

Edited by Mr.dobsonian
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I keep track of what NASA does, but unlike a conglomerate of "startup space companies" all chasing SpaceX, NASA still does things pretty slow and steady. (Or in some cases horribly delayed)

 

Looking forward to JWST actually getting off the pad (please dear god get off the pad!) as well :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MKI said:

I keep track of what NASA does, but unlike a conglomerate of "startup space companies" all chasing SpaceX, NASA still does things pretty slow and steady. (Or in some cases horribly delayed)

 

Looking forward to JWST actually getting off the pad (please dear god get off the pad!) as well :D

The advantage of NASA taking things slowly is that they get it right the first time, spaceX takes a different approach by doing lots and lots of tests before reaching a final design.

Also yes the launch of the JWST is very exciting!

Edited by Mr.dobsonian
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, kops said said:

I just hope Artemis 1 launches as scheduled next month. SLS has broken my heart too many times.:(

It won't. There's definitively too much still to do. Small chance of December. Far more likely next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem with coverall threads is that when a couple detailed discussions pop up, the discussion gets quite muddled.  We keep starlink separate from SpaceX for just this reason.  We try to keep discussions about specific missions in their own threads, with a link in the mission index stickied at the top of the page.     I've split off the LUCY discussion into it's own thread.  

I'll also add this thread for general NASA discussion and the LUCY thread to the index.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Gargamel said:

The problem with coverall threads is that when a couple detailed discussions pop up, the discussion gets quite muddled.  We keep starlink separate from SpaceX for just this reason.  We try to keep discussions about specific missions in their own threads, with a link in the mission index stickied at the top of the page.     I've split off the LUCY discussion into it's own thread.  

I'll also add this thread for general NASA discussion and the LUCY thread to the index.

Alright, sorry about this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/16/2021 at 4:03 AM, kops said said:

I just hope Artemis 1 launches as scheduled next month. SLS has broken my heart too many times.:(

 

On 10/16/2021 at 5:03 AM, RCgothic said:

It won't. There's definitively too much still to do. Small chance of December. Far more likely next year.

I think it will launch in december-janurary, considering it's fully stacked now.
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-fully-stacked-for-moon-mission-readies-for-artemis-i

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...