KSP downloaded with Steam selected - can I now eliminate the annoying Steam Log in steps?

I recently purchased KSP and in so doing I checked a box "Steam" while downloading the program, not knowing what Steam is.   Now when ever I want to start KSP I must go through the unneeded steps of putting in a Steam password and a code from the Steam Authenticator App on my iPhone.  Is there anyway I can eliminate the Steam log in steps and just launch KSP without need of log in and passwords?  Ideally, I'd like a shortcut on my desktop that immediately launches KSP.

Hello, and welcome to the forums!  :)

Moving your question to Technical Support.

27 minutes ago, xomckeever said:

I recently purchased KSP and in so doing I checked a box "Steam" while downloading the program, not knowing what Steam is.   Now when ever I want to start KSP I must go through the unneeded steps of putting in a Steam password and a code from the Steam Authenticator App on my iPhone.  Is there anyway I can eliminate the Steam log in steps and just launch KSP without need of log in and passwords?  Ideally, I'd like a shortcut on my desktop that immediately launches KSP.

Fortunately, KSP doesn't actually depend on Steam to run, once it's been installed locally.  So you can just put a shortcut straight to KSP_x64.exe on your desktop, and start with that.  It'll work just fine and won't involve Steam or logging in or anything.

Assuming that you've installed it the default location that Steam likes to use, then on a Windows machine, it'll most likely be located in the following folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program

(or whatever your system drive is, if it's not C:)

19 hours ago, Snark said:

Fortunately, KSP doesn't actually depend on Steam to run, once it's been installed locally.  So you can just put a shortcut straight to KSP_x64.exe on your desktop, and start with that.  It'll work just fine and won't involve Steam or logging in or anything.

Assuming that you've installed it the default location that Steam likes to use, then on a Windows machine, it'll most likely be located in the following folder:

Yep! I've used that shortcut plenty of times before!

It's just nice to run (especially my modded KSP) through steam everyonce in a while to back-up my data to the could.

On 10/12/2021 at 1:09 PM, Snark said:

Thanks!  The shortcut works!  No Steam involved now.

To be honest, you'd better finish creating a steam account. Probably later you'll need to buy something else (I mean videogame) and steam is a go-to do a thing. Hands down the best store out there, but yeah at the start it's not very convenient to set up, but still worth doing it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.