StarSlay3r

On 10/17/2021 at 6:39 AM, KerikBalm said:

Yea, and a planet like that wouldn't be fun in KSP.

But KSP2 has mmH engines.

This is indicating to me that we are seeing severe "power creep", which is generally regarded as bad game design.

This is likely the case of one unrealistic thing begetting another.

MmH engine makes getting to orbit too easy? Throw in a ridiculous planet that's really hard to get to orbit!!!

I'd be fine with a super kerbin of 3-5 kerbin masses.... But 10? Come on, that's ice giant territory, and the best explanation I can imagine for this is that they have some really OP engines and still want a challenge with them.

We do actually have examples in real life of extremely large, volatile poor superearths.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega-Earth.  Kepler-10c was originally thought to be one before its radius and mass were more accurately measured, but there are a few other examples with more rigidly constrained masses and radii.  To be fair though, these usually orbit their stars in very tight, hot orbits that drive away volatiles.

23 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Also, we don't know how mmH fuel will be obtained but I doubt the solution will simply be to just build a bigger factory. My guess would be that it is going to be a fairly difficult resource to find and will require players to build fairly elaborate systems to start recovering it which would make for engaging gameplay.

Its already basically confirmed when they showed a preview of the fuel factories. The mmH factory was huge, the chemical fuel factory was pretty small.

Also, mmmH is not a resource you find, its a resource that you make from Hydrogen.

Hydrogen is generally very easy to come by.

43 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Its already basically confirmed when they showed a preview of the fuel factories. The mmH factory was huge, the chemical fuel factory was pretty small.

Also, mmmH is not a resource you find, its a resource that you make from Hydrogen.

Hydrogen is generally very easy to come by.

When did they show a mmH factory? I've seen the xenon one, but I don't recall the mmH one.

On 10/15/2021 at 9:58 AM, StarSlay3r said:

scorched landscape. 

See above /\
This is  why I think it is close to its star.

On 10/27/2021 at 12:10 PM, shdwlrd said:

Ok, we're given a preview of a new planet. There is no context or hint to what type of star this planet is orbiting. Is it possible that this planet is orbiting a giant, very active star? Or it could be the core of an old gas giant of a dying star?  Or can it a rogue planet that was thrown out of a star system? Or by some luck, it was a small star that survived its collapse? Remember we only have a very small sample set for saying how planets should be made and what materials the cores could be made of.

Edited by Admiral Fluffy

This could be a real-world example of a chthonian planet: a gas giant core stripped of its atmosphere: http://www.sci-news.com/astronomy/planetary-core-toi-849-08597.html

So we might be somewhere between this and iron planets. It would suggest its relatively close to its star, or it could be the core of a gas giant that formed close enough to a star to have its atmosphere stripped when it entered the red giant phase and now orbits a red clump star or white dwarf. White dwarfs often have a secondary phase planetary accretion disc which might explain the ring. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2021 at 1:44 AM, The Aziz said:

How many before-release-teasers from games made in unity have you seen? Of those that are not in Early Access release model?

We've seen all those long ago. Ksp2 feature videos, in most if not all cases.

I am a consumer, I should not worry about the difficulties of working with the engine. And the new details were shown to us by the studio, which for some reason died, and the release was postponed for at least two years. Now we are shown surprisingly primitive things.

On 10/23/2021 at 2:22 AM, shdwlrd said:

@AlexoffDo you know most other teaser images and videos from game titles are heavily edited. They are captured from the game engine and run through some Adobe product to remove all the imperfections with the captured material. Look at CyberPunk for examples of this. All the teasers and "play through" videos released were all running very smooth, no hiccups. Then the game was released, we all know the story about performance after that.

We should be happy Intercept is willing to show us their progress warts and all throughout the project. Because most other studios would be editing the hell out of these "peeks" of new assets.

Also, are you ignoring the pre-alpha notes that are on all the videos and pictures Intercept releases? Do you know what pre-alpha means?

I'd rather see well-made videos without framerate jumps or not seeing teasers like this at all. I posted a lot of videos about ksp on my YouTube channel, and since for my projects the FPS dropped to very low values, I significantly increased the speed so that viewers did not see the slideshow that I saw. This is just disrespect for the viewer. As well as disrespect for the viewer is to show unfinished details, for example. The pre-alpha icon is of course very interesting, because the game was certainly not promised to be released in 2020. It's very interesting if the planets were ready in 2019 or were they made a few months ago?

On 10/15/2021 at 4:57 PM, Staticalliam7 said:

Kerbin is hard enough to get off, but good god, 4Gs? 

Probably gonna have to build an orbital station to build and deploy ships from just to get down and maybe up however the challenge is gonna be awesome to overcome and see the community find creative ways to get down there. Keep up the god work Devs!

On 11/18/2021 at 9:23 PM, SSTO Crasher said:

Very true

As if they were not already hard

Worry not, there will be torchship drives.

When you have antimatter rockets, grand tours within a solar system will be quite easy I imagine.

But if some tech level cap is implemented... then it becomes much harder.

I'm still thinking that mmH engines will make an unrefueled SSTO on Ovin not that hard

On 10/17/2021 at 10:38 AM, Nirgal said:

Now the real challenge would be 'starting' your space Program on Ovin (just send a miniscule colony) in order to simulate the progression of an intelligent species on a world with super high gravity.  Imagine what the aeroplanes will look like.. Let alone the rockets. I wonder how high we'll be able to construct buildings too.

I’d do that but I’ll probably to a science play through with my brother first and he has about 2.4 hours of gametime of the first ksp so that’ll probably not happen be I’m a goldfish.

21 hours ago, TheSameKerbal77 said:

I’d do that but I’ll probably to a science play through with my brother first and he has about 2.4 hours of gametime of the first ksp so that’ll probably not happen be I’m a goldfish.

By “ I’m a goldfish” I mean I have a short memory (like a goldfish) . But now that I think about it I don’t even know if that’s true. But it’s the thought that counts right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.