The Third Great Number War: The Long Haul!

AtomicTech

Choose your side!  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• The Positive Guard
    • The Negative Mercenaries
    • The Neutralists (Can go either way)
    • The Other People. Chaotic beings, the lot of them.

48 minutes ago, SSTO Crasher said:

Maybe we could create a “new page master post” we post it each new page so people can see the new rules

Not in the nature of new players to look at the tops of new pages unless that is where they come in.

I agree with those who don't feel the need for a back story, It is about reaching your teams goal using numbers, not pretenting we have weapons.

I also agree with @cantab that it is getting too close to violating forum rules, although I think that may be directed at pretending to be Kerbals, but this is not a D&D forum.

Most people just enjoy seeing their team gain ground through working together.

The map simply as a way of visualising the number of wins, I think is a good idea.

If I have read the posts correctly, I believe we have enough votes for having a map.

I think we have a solid 3 for back story but I believe it should be run by a moderator to see if it would violate anything.

As for multiple threads, I believe if we make a case for the fresh one to be the official one then this one would most likely get locked as the 4th one was.

@CFYL@Autochrome@Admiral Fluffy@cantab@Zozaf Kerman@Ryaja@Akagi@Jack Joseph Kerman@LHACK4142@Aerodynamic Kerbal@adsii1970@Kerb24@Watermel00n@Souptime@Ben J. Kerman@AlamoVampire @Space Kerbalisation Tech @OrdinaryKerman @SkyFall2489@Nazalassa

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

As for multiple threads, I believe if we make a case for the fresh one to be the official one then this one would most likely get locked as the 4th one was.

Yes. If you start a new thread, we can lock this thread.  That's all I can say.

I'll do the map ;)

I just need ideas for the different regions; at least where is land and where is water, where are the Positives and where are the Negatives, maybe associate one with land and the other with sea, maybe associate one with cold and the other with warmth...

Ah, and I think we need small emblems, like

`)\    ><>         \)/     ,-'    or the like

><>

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Yes. If you start a new thread, we can lock this thread.  That's all I can say.

I'd say otherwise. There are people who want the simplicity, and there are people who want change, so maybe 2 threads each with their own war might be a good idea. We can keep this one, and also have a newer, more complex one. The map might be a good idea, but I personally don't want anything taken too far.

@Nazalassa

Hi. I know you get excited about the fantasy idea but as can be read, alot of people just like the straightforward game play without a complex reason. Atomic Tech, if you go back and read, would consider each battle a competition for a strategic place. So I think that a map with say 20 named targets that start off unclaimed and in a neutral grey colour, and when they are won by a team they get changed to the colour of the team that won them. This would be a simple visual account of who won what.

I also think that each post should have a letter that denotes the team the poster is supporting, so as to make it easy to tell if someone got ninja'd or made a mistake. You would know what their intent was.

Positive player: P-2, the previous post would logically have been -3 and the player is heading for zero and above.

Negative player: N6, the previous post would logically have been 7 and the player is heading for zero and below.

Zeroist player: Z20, no matter the previous post the player is trying to get to zero.

Chaotic player: C-12, As long as their post is 1 different from the last, then it is taken as being their choice.

That is my take and my suggestion if anybody would like to agree or disagree.

6 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

I also think that each post should have a letter that denotes the team the poster is supporting, so as to make it easy to tell if someone got ninja'd or made a mistake. You would know what their intent was.

Totally agree.

42 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Atomic Tech

When I went to github to update my mod, I found his github account and respository are deleted. Cuz he made a localization file for my mod. I can still get the file but it is now a closed pull request. Sorrowful.

https://github.com/CFYL/CParts/pull/1

Edited by CFYL

7 hours ago, ColdJ said:

@Nazalassa

Hi. I know you get excited about the fantasy idea but as can be read, alot of people just like the straightforward game play without a complex reason. Atomic Tech, if you go back and read, would consider each battle a competition for a strategic place. So I think that a map with say 20 named targets that start off unclaimed and in a neutral grey colour, and when they are won by a team they get changed to the colour of the team that won them. This would be a simple visual account of who won what.

Positive player: P-2, the previous post would logically have been -3 and the player is heading for zero and above.

Negative player: N6, the previous post would logically have been 7 and the player is heading for zero and below.

Zeroist player: Z20, no matter the previous post the player is trying to get to zero.

Chaotic player: C-12, As long as their post is 1 different from the last, then it is taken as being their choice.

Yep, seems OK. It doesn't make the game too complex.

7 hours ago, ColdJ said:

I prefer signing the posts with an emblem like I do, to avoid confusion.

><>

(saying for who we are is a nice idea though, but it should not be an obligation)

15 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

I'd say otherwise. There are people who want the simplicity, and there are people who want change, so maybe 2 threads each with their own war might be a good idea. We can keep this one, and also have a newer, more complex one. The map might be a good idea, but I personally don't want anything taken too far.

No. There cannot be two number war threads active on the forum. The decision was made by the moderation team when the 4th number war thread was created. May I remind you of the forum guidelines that appear to have been forgotten in the discussion to recreate rules for the number war thread:

• Forum Guideline 2.2j: Roleplay, e.g. acting as a Kerbal, creating fictional organizational hierarchy amongst users and/or interactions of fictitious entities of an oppositional nature;
  • Forum Guidleline 2.2q: Reposting closed or removed content without moderator consent. 

While we do understand the desire to create rules for this game that will allow the game to become more fun and less problematic, as moderators, we are bound to enforce the forum guidelines in the forum games section just as we enforce them anywhere else on the forum. Creating teams, sides, maps, and all comes really close - TOO CLOSE - to role playing to the guide lines. This was the very reason that role playing is not allowed on the forum is because all it does is create ill-will on the forum that often spills out into other areas beyond the thread where it starts. I was not a moderator in the early days of the forum (2012 - before the Great Forum Purge of 2012) but I was there and can tell you how bad it was.

If this thread continues to go down this path, there will be no further option available to the moderation staff but to lock this thread and any additional threads created to continue the number war legacy. If one ventures back into memory lane and looks at the first Great Number War thread, this is exactly the reason it and the Second Great Number War threads were shut down. We simply cannot allow this thread to go down the same path.

The condensed version:

1. Do not create another number war thread. It will be immediately locked and the forum user creating such a thread may find themselves receiving moderation action for violating a forum guideline as mentioned above.
  2. Do not turn this thread into a role playing thread. It's starting to turn suspiciously close to that now. If the trend continues, this thread will be locked. 

Please do return to playing the game rather than mutating it into something that violates the forum guidelines.

4 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

No. There cannot be two number war threads active on the forum. The decision was made by the moderation team when the 4th number war thread was created. May I remind you of the forum guidelines that appear to have been forgotten in the discussion to recreate rules for the number war thread:

• Forum Guideline 2.2j: Roleplay, e.g. acting as a Kerbal, creating fictional organizational hierarchy amongst users and/or interactions of fictitious entities of an oppositional nature;
  • Forum Guidleline 2.2q: Reposting closed or removed content without moderator consent. 

While we do understand the desire to create rules for this game that will allow the game to become more fun and less problematic, as moderators, we are bound to enforce the forum guidelines in the forum games section just as we enforce them anywhere else on the forum. Creating teams, sides, maps, and all comes really close - TOO CLOSE - to role playing to the guide lines. This was the very reason that role playing is not allowed on the forum is because all it does is create ill-will on the forum that often spills out into other areas beyond the thread where it starts. I was not a moderator in the early days of the forum (2012 - before the Great Forum Purge of 2012) but I was there and can tell you how bad it was.

If this thread continues to go down this path, there will be no further option available to the moderation staff but to lock this thread and any additional threads created to continue the number war legacy. If one ventures back into memory lane and looks at the first Great Number War thread, this is exactly the reason it and the Second Great Number War threads were shut down. We simply cannot allow this thread to go down the same path.

The condensed version:

1. Do not create another number war thread. It will be immediately locked and the forum user creating such a thread may find themselves receiving moderation action for violating a forum guideline as mentioned above.
  2. Do not turn this thread into a role playing thread. It's starting to turn suspiciously close to that now. If the trend continues, this thread will be locked. 

Please do return to playing the game rather than mutating it into something that violates the forum guidelines.

Well, if we can only have one thread, I'd say we best keep it as is. This is good enough, and I figure time spent arguing is not time spent playing. The current system works well enough.

8 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

someone could open up a google doc, have a moderator edit the OP to put a link, and let the community update the google doc

No. Moderators cannot edit a post that does not violate the forum guidelines. We also cannot lock a thread that does not violate the forum guidelines. We will not lock a thread without the request of the original poster 

7 hours ago, Zozaf Kerman said:

This question is for any moderator, are we allowed to have a simple map without themes that mention roleplay if we start a new number war?

No. As stated in the chill, it is too close to roleplaying and would be seen as a violation of the guidelines. 

7 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

Only names and cities and continents/islands

><>

This would get the thread locked immediately. No additional number war threads would be allowed on the forum. This is roleplaying. And it runs foul of the guidelines. 

1 hour ago, SkyFall2489 said:

If we want this to be a NUMBER war, maybe we could have some geometric shape type map instead of an earthlike map?

Maybe just some big grid?

No maps. A scoreboard is fine as it has been in the past. 

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

No. Moderators cannot edit a post that does not violate the forum guidelines. We also cannot lock a thread that does not violate the forum guidelines. We will not lock a thread without the request of the original poster 

No. As stated in the chill, it is too close to roleplaying and would be seen as a violation of the guidelines. 

This would get the thread locked immediately. No additional number war threads would be allowed on the forum. This is roleplaying. And it runs foul of the guidelines. 

No maps. A scoreboard is fine as it has been in the past. 

Okay, how about keep the thread, google sheet scoreboard, no map? Keep the same general number wars rules. For a bit, people can post a link to the spreadsheet while they post so new players can see it while the OP remains unchanged.

Edited by SkyFall2489