How would a magnetic monopole behave in a magnetic field?

Ultimate Steve

As the title says, if magnetic monopoles existed, how would they respond to a magnetic field?

My intuition says that they would move along the magnetic field lines in the direction of the opposite pole. Like a north monopole would be attracted to the south magnetic pole of a magnet and would move along the lines to get there. Kind of like how electric charges behave in electric fields.

However I'm asking here because my intuition with these things is rarely correct. Like for an electrically charged particle in a magnetic field, F=VxB was very counter intuitive and I still haven't fully wrapped my head around it.

I'm curious in the first place because, well for a lack of a better phrase, It is sort of for a world building thing.

To start with, keep in mind that you want to conceptualize everything in terms of field interactions, not interaction between the object and the field. The electrically charged particle in a magnetic field experiences the Lorentz force because its electrostatic field is moving through a magnetic field and the motion of one field through the other produces a field interaction. a

Spoiler

It is easier to conceptualize the F=VxB breakdown of the Lorentz force if you remember that (a) the photon is the gauge boson and thus the force carrier for electromagnetism, (b) a photon is a quanta of a transverse wave, and (c) the electric and magnetic components of that transverse wave are perpendicular. Because the electric and magnetic components of a photon are perpendicular to each other, electric and magnetic fields can only interact perpendicularly.

So, what does the magnetic field of a monopole look like?

Unlike dipole electrostatic fields, magnetic dipoles do not arise from the aggregate of negative charges on one side and positive charges on the other, but rather arise from the intrinsic dipole magnetic moment of elementary particles. The field of a magnetic monopole would be a monopole magnetic moment, which is NOT merely the bisection of a dipole moment, but something else entirely which we haven't ever observed.

But our best guess would be to analogize to the Coulomb and Lorentz interactions. This is the Lorentz equation:

\mathbf{F}=q_{\mathrm e}\left(\mathbf{E}+\frac{\mathbf{v}}{c}\times\mathbf{B}\right)

and this is the Lorentz equation with the monopole extension:

f74881221a786b83e0ec10bca92d39ac5301bd6a

So just as a moving electrical charge in a magnetic field experiences a force which is the cross product of its charge*velocity and the vector strength of the field, a moving magnetic monopole in an electric field experiences a force which is the cross product of its magnetic charge*velocity and the vector strength of the field. And so, by analogy, a monopole in a magnetic dipole field would act the same as an electrical charge in an electric dipole field.

In other words, yes, your intuition is right.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.