Choosing a COVID-19 vaccine booster

sevenperforce

1 hour ago, DDE said:

About a month ago, our Healthcare Ministry has acknowledged the fact that most people have two shoulders, and so authorized jabbing one with Sputnik-Light, and the other with the year's flu vaccine.

Interesting!

Is it to prevent soreness?

i got my booster. all 3 shots have been moderna. i think the nurse said it was a baby dose. 

the shot seems to have had different side effects every time. first time hardly anything, second time i slept for 2 days, this time my arm is a little sore.  now looking at the 4th blank space on my vax card.

Edited by Nuke

My grandma nearly died from polio and now suffers for post-polio syndrome because she caught the disease one month before the vaccine came out. I’m going to get my booster. They are effective in ksp and they are effective in the real world

Also you should get the booster available. It is dumb to pick and choose vaccines. Also also this community is very scientifically knowledgeable, so I would assume the amount of anti vaccers here is low

19 hours ago, SSTO Crasher said:

My grandma nearly died from polio and now suffers for post-polio syndrome because she caught the disease one month before the vaccine came out. I’m going to get my booster. They are effective in ksp and they are effective in the real world

Also you should get the booster available. It is dumb to pick and choose vaccines. Also also this community is very scientifically knowledgeable, so I would assume the amount of anti vaccers here is low

Thankfully the number of anti-vaxxers here are low!

We've got 

Knowledge and Critical Reasoning

on our side.

21 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

Thankfully the number of anti-vaxxers here are low!

That's another corner of the internet ;D

I think I read earlier that COVID spreads better than Polio. I think thats true in a "vaccinated" setting, where multiple people are vaccinated. Currently it would appear even vaccinated individuals can spread COVID, just not at the same degree. Where-as Polio just gets 100% blocked by the vaccine, which is really the only thing preventing massive outbreaks due to Polio being highly infectious. 

On the topic of boosters, I personally would get whatever is available first. I haven't looked into it enough, and am actually leaning on the side of not getting a booster, due to my risk factors being incredible low. Last year in the fall I got really sick with lung issues that apparently weren't COVID, that made me vastly more paranoid about getting COVID. That's when I more or less locked down, and got the vaccine as soon as I could.

Now that I've healed,  am back to normal, and have some sort of built-in immunity from the first 2 Moderna shots, I wont get a third unless it becomes highly recommended for my risk group. In the mean time I'm still in a low-risk setting so its hard for me to think I need the booster, even with that "6 month waning immunity". I'll wait for more hard numbers, and see how my environment holds up in terms of risk. LA county numbers are still pretty low, and LA itself has gotten even more strict, mask requirements and even vaccine requirements are in place so I assume the numbers should stay lower than possible alternatives. 

I will say, its nice actually going to do things again, even if there are still some requirements here and there. :)

56 minutes ago, Nuke said:

anti-vaxxer, no. but im done with masking. its not my job to protect people who wont protect themselves. 

But what about the immunocompromised?

That's why I still strongly support a mask mandate. I want to protect the people who still are vulnerable even with the shot(s).

41 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

But what about the immunocompromised?

That's why I still strongly support a mask mandate. I want to protect the people who still are vulnerable even with the shot(s).

then i would advise them to take whatever precautions they can to stay safe. 

6 hours ago, SSTO Crasher said:

picking and choosing between vaccines is not a good idea as all are highly effective 

The gradual and unofficial withdrawal of Vektor's EpiVacCorona after scathing criticism by the independent medical community is a strong counterexample.

On 11/19/2021 at 8:29 AM, MKI said:

I wont get a third unless it becomes highly recommended for my risk group

Today is the day where this has changed. Where, things have gone from "recommended" to "should". (ref: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html)

Even the cdc didn't change, I was starting to lean on the side of "get the darn shot, and suck up to the side effects". Just so I'm less paranoid during Christmas time, where I'm going to be taking only slight precautions. 

With that said... I'll probably get the same type I got before if possible, simply to remove some risk associated with allergic reactions. 

I was considering waiting for more data associated with that new variant that has the headlines yet again, but I don't think the data will be available in time for me to make a decision to get the booster or not if I want to be ready for Christmas time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.