Staging Labels

Add the ability to add a custom name label to each stage, that stays with it if you change the order. 

For complex ships it can be too easy to lose track of which decoupler icon does what, or exactly which engines will activate. Especially if you separate the ship and stuff gets rearranged a bit .

custom ones is a bit much but we defenetly need more icons. i guess we will get different icons for ex the fuel of an engine.  or maybe the payload of a decoulper(booster,engine or other payload). but the easiest would just be making them have different colors. maybe if we can color parts the staging color is the same.

5 hours ago, jastrone said:

custom ones is a bit much but we defenetly need more icons. i guess we will get different icons for ex the fuel of an engine.  or maybe the payload of a decoulper(booster,engine or other payload). but the easiest would just be making them have different colors. maybe if we can color parts the staging color is the same.

Maybe, but as an example...

A single ship mission to Vall that carries a return vessel, a couple of relay/survey sattelites and two landers, each of which carries a small rover.  Everything decouples by staging. 

You decide to make a few tweaks to the design which results in the staging display getting mixed up.  Labels that say lander 1 decouple, lander 2 engines,  etc would help ensure stuff gets put back in the right order.

This kind of comes under the same concept as ELEMENTs in kOS which *I think* are based on something under the hood in KSP.  Basically the docked sections of a "raft-up".  But in kOS, and presumable in any underlying KSP mechanism that may exist, docking ports connected in the editor are not considered a valid ELEMENT boundary until undocked and redocked.   Which make them far less useful.

Anyway, to get to the point, if one divvied up the craft by sections between docking ports and decouplers is that what you mean by "labeled stages"?  If so then I'm on board with this, but especially if it takes into account docking ports connected in the editor.  And yes, I have set the ports to "enable staging", and while they stage correctly, they don't show up as separated ELEMENTs from a kOS script until undocked/redocked.

4 hours ago, darthgently said:

This kind of comes under the same concept as ELEMENTs in kOS which *I think* are based on something under the hood in KSP.  Basically the docked sections of a "raft-up".  But in kOS, and presumable in any underlying KSP mechanism that may exist, docking ports connected in the editor are not considered a valid ELEMENT boundary until undocked and redocked.   Which make them far less useful.

Anyway, to get to the point, if one divvied up the craft by sections between docking ports and decouplers is that what you mean by "labeled stages"?  If so then I'm on board with this, but especially if it takes into account docking ports connected in the editor.  And yes, I have set the ports to "enable staging", and while they stage correctly, they don't show up as separated ELEMENTs from a kOS script until undocked/redocked.

I was thinking of an option to add a text label to each stage 'tab' that stays with it wherever you drag it to in the stack, so even when the numbers change with the seqyence the label doesn't.

It would also be handy if you need to check or tweak the sequence in flight, especially in a hurry.  You can see at a glance what stage is what without needing to hover the mouse over stuff and look for the 'green glow'.

6 hours ago, pandaman said:

I was thinking of an option to add a text label to each stage 'tab' that stays with it wherever you drag it to in the stack, so even when the numbers change with the seqyence the label doesn't.

It would also be handy if you need to check or tweak the sequence in flight, especially in a hurry.  You can see at a glance what stage is what without needing to hover the mouse over stuff and look for the 'green glow'.

Ok, that is clear now.  In that case, all I have to add is that the concept of an ELEMENT is highly related to the concept of a stage, but goes beyond mere launch and gets into the different logical sections of a craft well into a mission.  The idea of being able to assign a label to these ELEMENTs and have that reflected in the staging list (though ELEMENTS aren't necessarily a simple linear stack later in the mission several undockings/dockings later) I really like the idea of labels within the stock staging list.   The more I think of it, the concept of labeling ELEMENTs, then be able to assign ELEMENTs to a stage (within logical reason by way of order order of decouplers and dock ports) like multiple radial ELEMENTS in symmetry that would still be in the same stage, for example.  Again, an ELEMENT just being all the parts between a given set of decouplers/dockingports, whether the ports were mated in the editor or not an whether they've been undocked/docked in flight or not