[1.12.x] CRFP - CarnationRED Flexible Parts Updated

linuxgurugamer

Forum user @CarnationREDmade this wonderful mod, but hasn't been around for over a year.  Original thread is here:  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/192699-*

I've adopted it, fixed a small problem with file names and added a bunch of available texture files.

Changes

• Fixed names of two part config files (no dot before cfg)    
  • Moved Texture folder into the PluginData folder to avoid KSP loading textures unnecessarily 
  • This release includes textures from the following mods:
    • Basic Procedural Textures, by Tyko Tex, MIT license
    • MainSailor's Procedural Textures, by MainSailor, CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0 license
    • Rusty Textures for Procedural parts, by Gaga_X, MIT license
    • Freedom Textures, by Freedom & PhineasFreak, MIT license
    • Derivative Textures, by RoboRay, CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0 license
  • Instructions provided for manual install of the Blackheart textures, which can't be included due to license restrictions
    • Textures_README_UPDATE

G1cgWYS.png

Created by CarnationRED

Inspired by SimplePlanes' fuselage parts. Designed for limitless shape construction.

KottabosGames' Introduction Video

Reveal hidden contents

Features

• Change sections width, height and radius
  • Save/Load section shape presets
  • Various shape modifications
  • CRFP Creator: Pick any 3 or 4 points in scene to create a panel, with surface/edge/vertex snap options
  • Edit with gizmos and/or GUI
  • Quick copy shape and materials using Ctrl+F or Ctrl+C/V
  • Select individual textures or choose one of texture presets
  • Fuel tank switch

GIF Demonstrations

Reveal hidden contents

Manual

UI

• Press F or right-click to open up UI panel, hotkey is defined in CRFPSettings.cfg
  • When adjusting radius, hold:
  1. Shift: link all 8 radius
  2. Alt: link current with its opposite at the other end
  3. Ctrl: link all radius at the same end
  • Negative radius will not be effected by aspect ratio
  • More details:
  Reveal hidden contents

Handle Gizmos

• Fast way to tweak length, twist, top/bottom size and corner radius
  • Press F to activate, hotkey is defined in CRFPSettings.cfg
  • Copy shape fast using Ctrl+F (see demostration above), note that WqBIKIt.giflinked section won't copy
  • Copy shape using Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V
  • RMB to switch between parts, parameters in UI panel will also be updated

9VrxlP0.gif

CRFP Creator

• With this tool you're able to create panel parts easily
  • Click 3fopec5.gif at the upper right corner of UI panel to open, the Creator panel shows up, click 3fopec5.gif to start
  • Created part will try to exactly match those 3 or 4 points you selected.

XHzI14b.gif

Textures

Reveal hidden contents

Texture Browser

• Used to select individual textures, usually for texture try out
  • Click one of texture names to open   FOPgtJB.png
  • Enter a letter to start search
  • F5 to refresh, up/down arrow key to navigate
  • “Convert to normal map” option is experimental, which won’t overwrite the texture file

Miscellaneous

• To reload cfg settings, press "=" and "-" when Part Settings memu is opened.

Compatibility

• Compatible with KSP 1.8.x-1.9.x
  • Compatible with FARc, RealFuels, Procedural Parts

Known Issues

• Parts position go wrong when editing mirror symmetry part
  • Custom texture lost during loading
  • Bottom texture is stretched when Tilt Bottom is not 0
  • Wrong part movement when changing both Tilt and Twist (detach+attach is a temporary solution)
  • Sometimes when copying part, handle gizmos also get copied with the copied part

Availability

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Neat! Small QoL suggestion: the colors aren't that accurate (e.g. it's impossible to get a pitch black texture on the sides to blend in with TPS - and yes, I'm making a lifting body :)) 

@Tonas1997

To answer your question on the old thread, I think the best way to proceed is to play with the specular map. As it is, the CRFP mod contains vanilla textures which are quite bright and reflective and as such you do not see the expected shade. What I did is I replaced the specular map by a black image using Gimp to get matte textures.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I was really excited to try this mod out, but seem to always encounter the same issue, so I tried it on a fresh 1.12.2 install and get the same result: Whenever I pick a CRFP part in the editor and try to place it, the editor gets completely broken (basically unable to click anything). Tried this both through CKAN and with a manual download from Github. Here's the fresh install log: KSP.log (github.com).  Thanks for help.

On 11/6/2021 at 4:28 PM, munix said:

Hi, I was really excited to try this mod out, but seem to always encounter the same issue, so I tried it on a fresh 1.12.2 install and get the same result: Whenever I pick a CRFP part in the editor and try to place it, the editor gets completely broken (basically unable to click anything). Tried this both through CKAN and with a manual download from Github. Here's the fresh install log: KSP.log (github.com).  Thanks for help.

How are you installing it?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2021 at 4:28 PM, munix said:

I've confirmed the problem will see what's wrong, looks like a bad release packaging

• 1 month later...

I'm LOVING this mod!! I use Conformal Decals and the image/text doesn't render on CRFP Tanks. Is there a config/patch I can write to allow the decals/text to show properly like on other surfaces?

Also weird little note from me on 1.12.3 --original beta was bugging out like Munix mentioned, but the dropbox update as posted above works fine but for the conformal decals not showing.

Edited by ElonsMusk

The spacedock Forum links to the old post still, FYI.

I know how busy you are but this mod could really use a polygon type option. It's extremely powerful for 4-sided shapes, but lacks simple triangle/hex/etc shapes without using tilt etc which gets complicated. My favourite use for this mod is larger-than-stock panels and tanks. The other small gripe I have is a lack of cone shaping, particularly because you can't make spheres. But hey this mod is one of the best there ever was so I appreciate your maintenance now that I've given it some proper playtime.

• 5 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Yomin said:

Thanks for continuing this mod!

It has been reported before, but still breaks the VAB editor.
Here are the logs and captures.
KSP is the latest version of the vanilla environment, CRFP0.7.0.1 is installed with CKAN.

What could it be?

I used the dropbox version to fix this, but it's no longer up. Hopefully linux can help you out!

21 minutes ago, Yomin said:

Thank you.

However, it looks to me like the Dropbox files have been deleted.

I overwrote the source code.zip of 0.7.0.1 on Github to the GameData folder and it worked fine.
I now understand what the comment means.

Thank you.

On 2/24/2022 at 11:02 PM, Yomin said:

Thanks for continuing this mod!

It has been reported before, but still breaks the VAB editor.
Here are the logs and captures.
KSP is the latest version of the vanilla environment, CRFP0.7.0.1 is installed with CKAN.

What could it be?

Next time, please provide the Player.Log file as well.

I'm looking into this right now, I thought I had updated the mod, will figure out and get a release up there tonite

13 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Next time, please provide the Player.Log file as well.

I'm looking into this right now, I thought I had updated the mod, will figure out and get a release up there tonite

Thanks for release!

I uploaded KSP_CRFP20220225.log (renamed KSP.log), but did not know that I had to upload Player.log. I will do so next time.
I don't think this is the right place to ask this, but I can't find the Player.log in my KSP. I've googled how to get it, but no luck. I'll google more.
Thanks.

1 hour ago, Yomin said:

Thanks for release!

I uploaded KSP_CRFP20220225.log (renamed KSP.log), but did not know that I had to upload Player.log. I will do so next time.
I don't think this is the right place to ask this, but I can't find the Player.log in my KSP. I've googled how to get it, but no luck. I'll google more.
Thanks.

Link is in my sig

• 3 months later...

are those parts compatible to be imported correctly to blender using the mu plugin?

also another question i asked in the old thread before being you are now maintaining this cool mod.

When will we get more included Textures, like Turbofan inlets? (I want to create engine 2 of a Klockhead K-1011 with the cool looking  elliptical/tube shape, with CRFP)

33 minutes ago, kerbmario said:

cool looking  elliptical/tube shape

I don't think that is possible. I mean making a curve pipe or "S" shape. Unless LGG can add kinda the same funcionality that mods like procedural parts or procedural fairings have to edit curves.