How to have multiple installs/saves (I.E. one modded, one not)

Just copy the whole "Kerbal Space Program" folder and install the mods in one but nor the other. Then run the exe-file from the folder you want to run. (E.g. "KSP.x86_64" on Linux.)

Also, this isn't really a tutorial, so I'll ask the moderators to move this thread.

The short answer is- just copy and paste the entirety of KSP, now you have two copies.

If you’re using CKAN (and you should be :wink:), creating a new copy of KSP is pretty easy:

1. File > Manage KSP instances;
  2. Add new instance to CKAN > Clone or fake new instance;
  3. Pick the existing instance and clone that, create new folder for it to be cloned into;
  4. You now have two copies of KSP- they’ll have identical mod sets, but that’s easy to change.

If you want a different version of KSP and you got the game via Steam- right click KSP > Properties > Betas > pick your version of choice from the drop down menu and it will download automatically. Be sure to back up your saves first, and also remember that having mods in the Steam copy of KSP is a frequent cause of KSP breaking (especially when changing versions) so copy the existing KSP to your desktop, delete all mods and then change versions.

If you want to do it all by hand, just copy + paste your current copy of KSP and then delete mods from the new copy. I’m not sure how you’d change versions if you got KSP from anywhere other than Steam as that’s where I got it from.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.