Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 4 - Celestial Architecting

CoolRanchAJ

10 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

To add on to the surname idea a Kerbal could be taller/smaller or have a different colored skin depending on what kind of place they grow up in.

You already see this a bit in this shot with slightly darker/lighter tones of green:

hUg84iK.png

Don't know if the skin tones are a trick of the light or not but I doubt it.

For instance a Kerbal born in space could be taller, and a Kerbal born on a planet like Ovin would be shorter.

And a Kerbal could have a totally different skin color based on the climate of their home, a Kerbal could have red skin if it's home planet is to hot or blue skin if their planet is to cold, with Kerbals with green skin only existing on habitable planets like Kerbin/Laythe/Lapat.

A kerbal could also have larger/smaller eyes based on how far a planet is from the sun, you probably get the idea.

@Nate Simpson Could something like that be added to the game, I know you and the team has a lot to juggle but I think it would work perfectly with the surname idea, and it would also be a great way to show the public how evolution will be affected by living on other planets.

Amazing work on KSP 2 and I look forward to playing it :D 

So, does that mean pesky kerbal belters and their torchships then?

That episode is awesome.  Really looking forward to trying to get to, land on and explore all those amazing worlds.  I think these 'teaser/diary/show and tell' features do far more for boosting hype than I think a gameplay demo could at this stage.  I just hope our expectations aren't being raised too high.   

As much as I am curious about gameplay, I can't do anything with it until release anyway so it doesn't actually make any real difference.   

11 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

To add on to the surname idea a Kerbal could be taller/smaller or have a different colored skin depending on what kind of place they grow up in.

You already see this a bit in this shot with slightly darker/lighter tones of green:

hUg84iK.png

Don't know if the skin tones are a trick of the light or not but I doubt it.

For instance a Kerbal born in space could be taller, and a Kerbal born on a planet like Ovin would be shorter.

And a Kerbal could have a totally different skin color based on the climate of their home, a Kerbal could have red skin if it's home planet is to hot or blue skin if their planet is to cold, with Kerbals with green skin only existing on habitable planets like Kerbin/Laythe/Lapat.

A kerbal could also have larger/smaller eyes based on how far a planet is from the sun, you probably get the idea.

@Nate Simpson Could something like that be added to the game, I know you and the team has a lot to juggle but I think it would work perfectly with the surname idea, and it would also be a great way to show the public how evolution will be affected by living on other planets.

Amazing work on KSP 2 and I look forward to playing it :D 

Would love to see both these ideas in the game as a bit of incentive to get colonies up and running. 

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by siklidkid
Don't get carried away with font sizes, please.

8 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

j5QzGFf.png

7SbhZ53.png

Eve? Is that you?

Maybe the second shot but it think that the first one is in reference to the planet they were taking about that has water but is baked in one side, where they show a desert, ice plains, and an ocean while saying the same words

13 minutes ago, t_v said:

Maybe the second shot but it think that the first one is in reference to the planet they were taking about that has water but is baked in one side, where they show a desert, ice plains, and an ocean while saying the same words

I thought that was just an example they came up with to illustrate their point, and the shots were of different random planets. Who knows, though. I am excited to see Eve, whenever they do that!

23 hours ago, Lach_01298 said:
On 10/29/2021 at 6:35 PM, Vanamonde said:

Minmus is no longer icy? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! 

On 10/29/2021 at 8:10 PM, Spaceman.Spiff said:

It will always be icy in our hearts ;.;;.;;.;

This only adds to the kerbals disappointment when the land there. Not only is it not minty icecream, it not even ice!

Honestly I think that adds more to the character of Minmus.

Not sure how removing characteristics paradoxically adds to its character.

30 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Not sure how removing characteristics paradoxically adds to its character.

The point is that it is a myth the kerbals believed before they went there. It has a similarity to people thinking the moon was made of cheese, but in the kerbals case they took their myth very seriously.

It adds character to the kerbals more than it does to minmus.

Edited by Lach_01298

I love the idea of a young solar system in its first few hundred million years of existence.  Are Rask and Rusk also in the Debdeb system? Their new textures seem to have the same heavy cratering as Char and Gurdamma.

Ovin is going to be a pain trying to land on. Also, scaling it up to IRL scale, Ovin is so big that it's nearly in the size range of Mega-Earths, rocky (or mostly rocky) planets of >10 Earth masses; examples include HD 21749b, K2-56b, K2-66b, and Kepler-411b. At 1.6x Kerbin's radius (960 km), Ovin would be 9600 km/1.507 Earth radii when scaled up 10x, and a surface gravity of 4G yields a mass of 9.08 Earths and a density of 14.6 g/cm3

Spoiler

This is actually quite similar to a planet I studied in 2019, GJ 1008b. It appeared to be 1.84x Earth's radius and 13.6x Earth's mass (nearly as massive as Uranus and Neptune), with a density of 12 g/cm3 and a surface gravity of 4G, exactly the same as Ovin. However, this analysis is unpublished and used archived radial velocity data. It was also based on the belief that GJ 1008b's orbital period was twice as long as initially thought. Further research could result in these mass and density results being greatly reduced.

On 10/29/2021 at 9:43 AM, Nate Simpson said:

This is Charr -- innermost planet in the Debdeb System. :)

So that's Charr, Gurdamma, and Glummo confirmed for Debdeb system, I guess, with Donk and Merbel being two of the moons there as well.

I hope that Ovin is in another, yet unnamed star system, otherwise, Debdeb is getting all the rings.

Hopefully the developers will watch this movie "LIFE BEYOND II: The Museum of Alien Life". And at the end of the story we will get at least one inhabited planet with at least something.  (Even if they are smart tomatoes :D ) Since one of the most important questions is the search for life outside the mother planet. After all, you can make KSP2 an interactive game, and not just new planets (which players will pass in a week) and new engines (on which new concepts will be collected in a month and abandoned)

Edited by *MajorTom*

17 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

Yep, that's me.

Is Eve's color going to be the result of liquid and gaseous iodine in KSP2? These shots remind me of the version of Eve from the mod JNSQ, where the purple color is also the result of iodine.