Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 4 - Celestial Architecting

CoolRanchAJ

Can we allow ourselves for a little guessing game? There's plenty of unknowns in the video, but hey, maybe we can figure something out.

Spoiler

RKleHGn.png

NQZXFzM.png

Red with red atmo and bits of ice, most likely in form of polar caps. Duna, perhaps?

Spoiler

ydrvIal.png

Based solely on how this picture looks, it could be either Kerbin or an exoplanet. There's snow and some hills, and someone could say it could be Eeloo, but the picture suggests there's an atmosphere, you can notice a bit of scattering and overall softness of it.

Spoiler

omIM8VJ.png

R5vMrHt.png

1uNiwto.png

I assume all these are from the same place. No atmo, lots of ice. Vall? I've never actually landed on Vall (the last body I never been on, somehow) so I can't tell if it's even remotely similar. Or maybe Eeloo, it is known to have those ridges on the surface.

Spoiler

h88UXlv.png

WP7AOcS.png

m5oi0uM.png

Eh, these rocks can be also literally anywhere, Moho, Gilly, Ike, Bop, even that new hazelnut Skutt.

Spoiler

xDseDYk.png

5hPydlv.png

These icy bits on the top remind me of what we've seen on Pol not long ago.

Spoiler

JW9HzaL.png

Gray, rocky, craters? Mun?

Spoiler

AurRg9k.png

For all I know, it could be enything. Revisited Moho, Tylo, perhaps? We know the bodies are going to look totally different, so it may be one of those or again, another unknown exoplanet.

7 hours ago, *MajorTom* said:

Hopefully the developers will watch this movie "LIFE BEYOND II: The Museum of Alien Life". And at the end of the story we will get at least one inhabited planet with at least something.  (Even if they are smart tomatoes :D ) Since one of the most important questions is the search for life outside the mother planet. After all, you can make KSP2 an interactive game, and not just new planets (which players will pass in a week) and new engines (on which new concepts will be collected in a month and abandoned)

Hard no. Keep aliens out of KSP2. I'm pretty sure the Dev's have said the same in the past. I don't get how you can say things like " After all, you can make KSP2 an interactive game, and not just new planets (which players will pass in a week) and new engines (on which new concepts will be collected in a month and abandoned)".

This game is over 10 years old and players still enjoy playing it. No aliens required!

Edited by Meecrob

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

Hide contents

AurRg9k.png

For all I know, it could be enything. Revisited Moho, Tylo, perhaps? We know the bodies are going to look totally different, so it may be one of those or again, another unknown exoplanet.

Kerbals come back from this planet with blue eyes

There's a bit where Nate is talking about Gurdamma and its moon where he says Gurdamma has rings and it's moon is currently forming from those rings. Does that mean that the moon will form over time? As in, it'll get bigger(?) the further into the game you are?

Dr Joel Green kind of says a similar thing when he's talking about Minmus, and how they wanted it to be icy. He says one of the solutions they tried was changing the composition of the ice, and another solution was to make it temporary.

So, do we think that at least some of the planets or moons will be changing throughout the game? Or were they just talking  and I'm reading too much into it??

7 minutes ago, WelshSteW said:

There's a bit where Nate is talking about Gurdamma and its moon where he says Gurdamma has rings and it's moon is currently forming from those rings. Does that mean that the moon will form over time? As in, it'll get bigger(?) the further into the game you are?

I don’t think that will happen, as that would take millions of years.

7 minutes ago, WelshSteW said:

I'm reading too much into it??

I do believe you are.

On 10/30/2021 at 5:52 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

That's an interesting point, will Kerbal surnames change depending on colony location?

On 10/30/2021 at 6:06 AM, Nate Simpson said:

Nope! 

This is the coolest idea and I'm mad I didn't think of this.

This is such a cool idea. Dang.

I'm going to bring this up at the next design meeting.

It is a cool idea.

And it fits nicely around my head cannon that I've had since 2013 - that Kerman is actually every kerbal's given name and the Jedidiah, Bill, Val etc are actually their surnames.  They have limited imagination in naming their spawn!

9 minutes ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

We have a video about celestial bodies, astronauts, next...

Colonies/building!

Seems likely!

On 10/29/2021 at 11:06 AM, Nate Simpson said:

I'm going to bring this up at the next design meeting.

Keep us posted please.

Edited by Admiral Fluffy

44 minutes ago, salaminho said:

Did someone else tried to decipher the audio code in the end?

I got this result. Didn’t made sense at first, but then a realized this is actually a tile art.

Maybe it means there will be animal life on the planets? :o

https://imgur.com/AgoJmzw

https://imgur.com/7FXmRQM

Done before 

looks like the Kraken to me. But since this is basically a bigger part of the picture we've seen last time, suggests that there's even more below. So, at least one more feature video is ahead of us.

I wonder if that means the ship is heading to Bop, and when it lands... Something happens.

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Done before 

looks like the Kraken to me. But since this is basically a bigger part of the picture we've seen last time, suggests that there's even more below. So, at least one more feature video is ahead of us.

I wonder if that means the ship is heading to Bop, and when it lands... Something happens.

Oh thanks! I was looking for a thread with the answer, couldn't find it. But it was fun deciphering it on my own, learned a few things in the progres.
Now it really makes sense, agreed that looks like the kraken.

So, since we're talking so much about seeing stars in the sky, I have a question. Do you think the stars we'll actually be able to visit will be clearly visible in the skybox? I would hope that they are.

Additionally, I hope that the stars that the other planetary systems are orbiting are not the same "generic Sun type" aka G type star that Kerbol appears to be.
Ideally I'd like to see all types of stars represented, but since we're not getting enough "other stars" to visit to cover all those types, I'd like to see a Type M (red dwarf stars that are lower mass, cooler, and have a much longer life than our G-type Sun that Earth orbits), and a Type A B or O star ("white" or "blue" stars, hotter and more massive and shorter lived than our G-type Sun that Earth orbits).

Just some acknowledgement that not all stars are like our Sun is what I'm looking for, and if KSP 2 gets DLC that is "more star systems" along with probably some new rocket parts, then hopefully we'll be able to see even more kinds of stars, perhaps even exotic ones like white dwarfs, neutron stars, and maybe even a stellar-mass black hole (solar panels won't work well at all around that last one unless it's a binary system with a black hole feeding on something like a red giant).

EDIT:

If things are too far along in development for this kind of idea to be implemented, it's my hope that it will be relatively easy for mods to add such things into the game (including the fact that the light from said other types of star would make all the paint colors of our rockets render differently, not sure how hard that is to accomplish tho).

Edited by SciMan

The stars still won't be much more than a dot in the sky, among many others that are a part of the skybox itself.

But I assume if you zoom out enough to see a local neighborhood, you'd be able to tell where they are.

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

The stars still won't be much more than a dot in the sky, among many others that are a part of the skybox itself.

Depending on the distance of the star, couldn't it be visible during twilight?

2 hours ago, SciMan said:

So, since we're talking so much about seeing stars in the sky, I have a question. Do you think the stars we'll actually be able to visit will be clearly visible in the skybox? I would hope that they are.

It would be cool if the same could happen for planets too. Seeing Jool glow in the evening sky would be really nice while driving around the space center.

37 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

It would be cool if the same could happen for planets too. Seeing Jool glow in the evening sky would be really nice while driving around the space center

Problem with KSP is that most, probably all planets are technically rendered all the time, but smaller than a pixel, so you can't see them. Notice how Minmus is like 3 pixels wide from the surface of Kerbin? And I believe you can't even see Gilly from Eve.

Ksp2 could fix that by adding some reflective material to, what they call it, scaled space? of the planets far far away (forgive me messing up technical speak), so you could technically see a bright point in the sky, that unfortunately wouldn't be a planet, only a texture, but that's about it. If needed, I dunno.

37 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Depending on the distance of the star, couldn't it be visible during twilight?

Apparent magnitude* You can't really see Proxima Centauri even though it's the closest star. You can technically see Sirius with perfect conditions even before sunset, but it's still a dot, despite it being only 8ly away from Earth. Well, at least until you pull out a powerful equipment (example: Betelgeuse), but for the naked eye, every celestial body except for the sun and the moon are just flickering points. And I don't expect it to be any different in the game.