A new part In KSP2, cameras !

I would love to see a "camera" part in KSP2. It would be a placeable anywhere part that could exist in 2 variants :

-normal camera without any covers (maybe it can move)

-the aerodynamic camera, protected by a streamlined shell around it, with half of it glass or another transparent material (in the direction where the camera is looking). This one cannot move at all, or maybe to some small degrees.

gameplay in VAB/SPH : you would be able to place a camera anywhere, you would set it's inclination, rotation and field of view (I don't think adding to much camera stuff like aperture, color grading, focal length is a good idea, its KSP not KCP). You could rename the camera to know wich one is wich in flight (camera 1 --> booster cam; camera 2 --> lander cam; etc...)

gameplay in flight : you would be able to use the camera as a camera mode ("V" to switch between them in KSP1), you could edit it's rotation and inclination on the fly for the first variant (not a necessary feature in flight). I think it would be interesting for some additional challenge to put an option in the options menu to prohibit usage of the other camera modes, other than the ones you put on your space craft ( so no "orbital; locked or free modes).

I think this feature would open to a more cinematic side of KSP to a broader audience, that is also why I would like this feature as a Stock feature not mode, I am, however, absolutely ok with it being in an update later after the release but I guess the choice is yours

I used to use mods for KSP that added these sorts of items and would like to see them too. Honestly, I would love to see overall improvements to the cameras in KSP. I would love for cameras to have a more cinematic feel of communicating the weight and affect of delta v from lighting the engines for a burn or something. Whenever I watch ship shots from The Expanse, I always wish KSP would have camera effects that felt like those.

On 10/31/2021 at 6:56 AM, lonewaffle said:

I used to use mods for KSP that added these sorts of items and would like to see them too. Honestly, I would love to see overall improvements to the cameras in KSP. I would love for cameras to have a more cinematic feel of communicating the weight and affect of delta v from lighting the engines for a burn or something. Whenever I watch ship shots from The Expanse, I always wish KSP would have camera effects that felt like those.

Personally I got this idea from watching Interstellar and beautiful made by shots on the hull of the ranger or lander or endurance. But I couldn't agree more with you, the expanse has beautiful shots. I'm pretty sure that we will get a camera over whole  but I'd really like this part as a specific part, to place on your ship

I'd love cameras to be added to KSP,  they will add a lot of functionality to the game.

I'd also love a difficulty option that completely disables 3rd person view, You will only rely on the cameras installed on the ship or the kerbals, that will also open up a whole lot of replayability.
While you're at it, a way to view the Kerbals' POV to aid this difficulty option to completely remove the 3rd person view.

YES, YES, YES for cameras! It would be cool to launch a rocket and see its spent stages fall back to Kerbin. Also @Thundy's difficulty suggestion would being a true and realistic challenge to KSP 2. Maybe some capsules could have camera screens in iva view

Edited by BekfastDerp13
iva

• 2 weeks later...

Camera's with IVA integration that integrate with built-in Multi-functional displays is on my wish-list of a more immersive KSP 2.

Would be nothing like flying a ship in 100% IVA mode and still getting awesome views of the launch from external cameras :D