Where is the island the highest ore concentration on Laythe?

15 minutes ago, Sivako Aerospace said:

Hi,

I am currently trying to find an island on Laythe that has enough ore that you can mine to make more fuel. Everywhere I have tried so far has yielded no results. Any ideas?

Hi,
have you first did an M700 Survey Scan?

47 minutes ago, antipro said:

Hi,
have you first did an M700 Survey Scan?

Yes, I have. The scan revealed where the ore should be I then used kebnet to make the locations on the map. Most of the large ore deposits are in the oceans it seems. I have checked out the some of the sites that I thought had ore in concentrations above 2.5% at them (they did not), but I don’t really know how to read the scans.

Edited by Sivako Aerospace

Ore concentrations are not distributed the same in every save, they are randomly generated for each game.  So the location one player reports having high ore concentration may be different in your game- and likely is indeed different.

One tip I would suggest is that the ‘shores’ biome often has a much different ore concentration than the biome slightly inland from the ‘shores’.  So if you are on the shore, and not finding any ore, try moving inland until the biome changes.  Sometimes you don’t need to move very far inland for the biome to change, and the ore concentration to be vastly different.

2 minutes ago, 18Watt said:

Ore concentrations are not distributed the same in every save, they are randomly generated for each game.  So the location one player reports having high ore concentration may be different in your game- and likely is indeed different.

One tip I would suggest is that the ‘shores’ biome often has a much different ore concentration than the biome slightly inland from the ‘shores’.  So if you are on the shore, and not finding any ore, try moving inland until the biome changes.  Sometimes you don’t need to move very far inland for the biome to change, and the ore concentration to be vastly different.

Thanks for the suggestion about trying more inland. I’ll give it a shot.

Also, the Narrow Band scanner will give you more accurate results from orbit.  And the Surface Scanner will give you the most accurate results, but that works best with a rover of some sort, and must be used on the surface.

57 minutes ago, Sivako Aerospace said:

Thanks for the suggestion about trying more inland. I’ll give it a shot.

I should have asked if you are using a boat (or watercraft of some sort..).  As Laythe is mostly ocean, that would make sense.

I had the same problem using boats on Laythe- every shoreline I tried to refuel at had no ore.   I am not certain if this is always the case, but in my experience I have never actually found any ore on Laythe’s ‘shores’ biomes.

In some cases the ‘shore’ biome only extends a few hundred meters.  Most of my boats are extremely awkward on land, so getting several hundred meters inland is a pain.  But once you leave the ‘shores’ biome you should find ore.

Being able to tell when the biome changes is helpful.  I know the Surface Scanning module can tell you this, there may be other ways to tell also.  Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.