[1.12.0 +] D.A.R.T. Range Challenge [1.0.0] [01 Nov 2021]

Galileo

Hello !

Here is my first (humble) attempt to see how it works : I quickly built a probe with ion propulsion, launched it and put it in a direct encounter via a Hohmann transfer on a Falcon-like rocket (can't be seen on the video unfortunately), and i've been able to crash on Dimorphos at a relative speed of 2776 m/s ! :D

Is this how we are supposed to do it ? :)

My attempt to crash on Dimorphos

9 hours ago, Neebel said:

I'd love to try this out, but it would probably only work with the stock solar system, right? Because my main install is Beyond Home right now

There is probably nothing to stop DART Range from loading with other planet packs installed, but it is made to fit the stock solar system.  Using it in other solar systems is not recommended.

1 hour ago, WasteL67 said:

Is this how we are supposed to do it ? :)

My attempt to crash on Dimorphos

Looks good to me.  Well done.

10 hours ago, Neebel said:

I'd love to try this out, but it would probably only work with the stock solar system, right? Because my main install is Beyond Home right now

Stock type systems only I think.  It might load in beyond home but I'm not sure if it'd work well.  It certainly is not officially supported.

Edited by R-T-B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2021 at 4:33 AM, OhioBob said:

To make the DART Range work as planned, it was necessary to implement some custom code.  Below is an explanation of these customizations so you know what to expect should you decide to take the DART Range Challenge.

Time Warp Limits

Didymos and Dimorphos are very tiny bodies, far smaller than any other planet/moon combination in the game.  This really alters one’s perception of distance and speed.  If you happen to be on a high-speed approach and using time warp, chances are you’ll fly right on past both bodies before you even see them and have a chance to slow down.

It was therefore was necessary to implement a means to drop a vessel out of time warp to prevent accidental overshoot.  This is achieved through the use of time warp limits.  A vessel traveling at high speed automatically reduces time warp as it nears its target.  But there’s more – the limits are dynamic and a function of vessel speed.  Therefore, no matter how fast the vessel is traveling, the time interval between reductions is constant.  This means you don’t have to concern yourself with reducing time warp while on approach – just sit back and watch the show unfold.

Should a vessel happen to slow to orbital velocity (which can be less than 1 m/s), the limits are moved in close to Didymos to allow high time warps from low orbit so one can get around without painfully slow wait times.

Thanks to @R-T-B for writing the time warp code.

I wonder if its possible to disable this time warp code, I'm trying to use the mod BetterTimeWarp to slow down but it is getting disabled.

Another question, is it possible to reset the state of Didymos before its hit by the satellite? I'm making a video for my YT channel and I hit it successfully but then I realized I wasn't recording. Too bad I didn't quicksave.

5 hours ago, acr_8133 said:

I wonder if its possible to disable this time warp code, I'm trying to use the mod BetterTimeWarp to slow down but it is getting disabled.

No, the code is built into Kopernicus.

5 hours ago, acr_8133 said:

Another question, is it possible to reset the state of Didymos before its hit by the satellite? I'm making a video for my YT channel and I hit it successfully but then I realized I wasn't recording. Too bad I didn't quicksave.

Yes, find the following file and change the extension from .txt to .cfg.

DART/Plugins/RespawnDimorphos.txt

// How to reset and respawn Dimorphos:
// Simply rename this file from .txt to .cfg
// Then restart KSP and either load your test save or create a new one.
// Every time that you go to the Space Center, Dimorphos will be recreated.
// To stop that from happening, exit KSP and rename this file from .cfg to .txt

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

No, the code is built into Kopernicus.

Yes, find the following file and change the extension from .txt to .cfg.

DART/Plugins/RespawnDimorphos.txt

// How to reset and respawn Dimorphos:
// Simply rename this file from .txt to .cfg
// Then restart KSP and either load your test save or create a new one.
// Every time that you go to the Space Center, Dimorphos will be recreated.
// To stop that from happening, exit KSP and rename this file from .cfg to .txt

thanks! didn't know that file existed :P

would be cool to see slowed down ksp on a cinematic for the very fast collision, slowing down ksp with 3rd party apps just reduces the frames per seconds

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, AlrightyDave said:

This is the only mod that causes a continual loading screen of death. I play JNSQ so I assume this may be intended for stock only?

That's correct, stock only.  DART is not intended to be used with any other planet packs.  Also, do not install Kopernicus if using DART.  DART comes packaged with a specially modified version of Kopernicus.

On 10/31/2022 at 1:16 AM, OhioBob said:

That's correct, stock only.  DART is not intended to be used with any other planet packs.  Also, do not install Kopernicus if using DART.  DART comes packaged with a specially modified version of Kopernicus.

Right ok, that's a shame. If I play stock I use parallax too, and I can't use that either without Kopernicus. I'll still try it out though

6 hours ago, AlrightyDave said:

Right ok, that's a shame. If I play stock I use parallax too, and I can't use that either without Kopernicus. I'll still try it out though

DART comes packaged with both Kopernicus and Parallax.  Perehaps if you install just Parallax_StockTextures without the Parallax plugin, it will work.  I don't know, but it might be worth a try.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.