NASA DART Challenge

St4rdust

20 hours ago, St4rdust said:

Besides the Didymos mod, only purely aesthetic mods are allowed.

12 hours ago, Kerbal Productions said:

This is kind of hard as I'll have to make this stock (ReStock included, but not with the plus, I'll be bonked out)

So, ReStock is allowed?

Guest The Doodling Astronaut
44 minutes ago, Entropian said:

I'd expect so, as it doesn't change the stats of stock parts or add non-stock parts.

It does somewhat. I only know this because Upsilon bans Restock because it changes the hit boxes or something like that.

3 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

It does somewhat. I only know this because Upsilon bans Restock because it changes the hit boxes or something like that.

Restock is mostly cosmetic, but if you want to be safe, yes it does change some minor hitbox things, so best leave it at home.  Unless forum admins confirm otherwise.

Edited by R-T-B

Probably dumb question: those little white- and red-capped thingys on the spacecraft bus are covers for RCS thrusters, right?

EDIT: I love how the workers used that gold tape/foil to hold a sheet of paper by the spacecraft :cool:

Edited by Entropian

And it's here:

What a fun challenge

Spoiler

Also thank you to the two/there people who subscribed to my personal channel because of the first video, but this is my KSP channel :joy:

14 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

The Post was my submission

Reveal hidden contents

Also thank you to the two/there people who subscribed to my personal channel because of the first video, but this is my KSP channel :joy:

I think about doing this again. I have a new idea to make this even more explosive and more effective

19 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Restock is mostly cosmetic, but if you want to be safe, yes it does change some minor hitbox things, so best leave it at home.  Unless forum admins confirm otherwise.

While we're at it: Are mods like FMRS allowed? Would be very useful for recovering the booster

3 hours ago, Neebel said:

While we're at it: Are mods like FMRS allowed? Would be very useful for recovering the booster

I'm afraid I'm not the contest rulemaker here so an admin would have to weigh in.

My advice would be "better safe than sorry" if unsure.

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, Kerbal Productions said:

I had to use KAC just to get a transfer window to Didymos just because the stock one bugged

Is it illegal?

Probably...

I already have so much in mind for this mission. Kerbin Orbital Observation of the Asteroid, two probes. One hits the asteroid and one observes the collision and after effects. Maybe an SSTO? Oh my! Too many ideas!!!!!!!!! (Drowning in ideas). 

Edited by Dr. Kerbal

1 hour ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

I already have so much in mind for this mission. Kerbin Orbital Observation of the Asteroid, two probes. One hits the asteroid and one observes the collision and after effects. Maybe an SSTO? Oh my! Too many ideas!!!!!!!!! (Drowning in ideas). 

You have to make a stock Falcon 9 that is possibly recoverable, and the DART spacecraft.

As much as we all want a freestyle mission, this is not it.

OH GOD I wanna scream!

I have a question about these two mods that might be helpful.
Can KAC and Kerbal Engineer Redux be used?

Let me know immediately, I'm stoked doing this, tbh.

12 hours ago, Kerbal Productions said:

I would love to do this more free-style as well lol.

Regarding other mods, I'd interpret "aesthetic mods" as all mods that don't add parts, so just your average QOL mods. I'm honest it would suck if you had to delete all mods or create a new KSP install.

Any admins here that could potentially help us?

Edited by Neebel

17 hours ago, Kerbal Productions said:

True for the contest, but there is nothing stopping us from showing off noncompliant creations.  Just don't tag them for the contest.  Make clear they are just for fun, etc