NASA DART Challenge

St4rdust

21 hours ago, Kerbal Productions said:

Hmmm... are you sure the 9 merlin engines aren't mods?

And also, great video! Your LICIACube is so creative! :)

Im 99% sure those are stock swivels - i created a clean gamedata file with just stock, dart and waterfall. I can provide craft files if you want to test :)

Also thanks for the compliments!

Well, here's mine. I admit I didn't take it nearly as seriously as some of you did, especially in re-creating the Falcon 9... but then, it was hitting the limit of my skills to make the first stage recoverable at all. And, of course, I couldn't just leave it as impacting the target...

I made three flights.

Spoiler

The first flight ended with the desired impact at about 660 m/s relative velocity to target, producing a small but definite deflection. I was able to recover the first stage, but in the time that took the rest of the ship went off-course and crashed, so I had to re-fly the mission to get that to orbit and beyond.

For the second flight I soft-landed the same probe and used the ion engine to push. This also worked but not as well, mostly because the probe was in the asteroid's shadow and thus ran out of electricity fairly quickly.

For the third flight I abandoned the DART model entirely and did it as I'd do it in a normal KSP campaign- in situ refining of fuel from the asteroid to redirect it. (Incidentally, grabbing the target with The Claw breaks the part of the mod that keeps it tidally locked.) That worked GREAT until I tried to use physics-warp to speed up the deflection, at which point the kraken objected.)

Here's the edited video.

Guest The Doodling Astronaut
14 hours ago, Kerbal Productions said:

Here's my submission! Hope ya like it! :)

And also, intentional birthday release! ;)

Nice, I watched your video a minute after you released it.

7 hours ago, RedneckGaijin said:

Well, here's mine. I admit I didn't take it nearly as seriously as some of you did, especially in re-creating the Falcon 9... but then, it was hitting the limit of my skills to make the first stage recoverable at all. And, of course, I couldn't just leave it as impacting the target...

I made three flights.

Reveal hidden contents

The first flight ended with the desired impact at about 660 m/s relative velocity to target, producing a small but definite deflection. I was able to recover the first stage, but in the time that took the rest of the ship went off-course and crashed, so I had to re-fly the mission to get that to orbit and beyond.

For the second flight I soft-landed the same probe and used the ion engine to push. This also worked but not as well, mostly because the probe was in the asteroid's shadow and thus ran out of electricity fairly quickly.

For the third flight I abandoned the DART model entirely and did it as I'd do it in a normal KSP campaign- in situ refining of fuel from the asteroid to redirect it. (Incidentally, grabbing the target with The Claw breaks the part of the mod that keeps it tidally locked.) That worked GREAT until I tried to use physics-warp to speed up the deflection, at which point the kraken objected.)

Here's the edited video.

LMAO best one 10/10 

This is the true kerbal way, ditch nasa, embrace ksp

10 hours ago, RedneckGaijin said:

I made three flights.

Reveal hidden contents

Here's the edited video.

Nice haha, but I think what NASA would see is the actual DART mission lol :D

But the 3 attempts where great and creative, kinda felt weird seeing fins on the 1st and 2nd stage doe lol

1 hour ago, Kerbal Productions said:

Nice haha, but I think what NASA would see is the actual DART mission lol :D

But the 3 attempts where great and creative, kinda felt weird seeing fins on the 1st and 2nd stage doe lol

I used the fins because I didn't think the control flaps others of you used would work to steer the first stage to landing. I originally designed it for a ground touchdown, but I gave up on that when I figured out I couldn't spare enough delta-V in the first stage for a full abort back to the KSC after decoupling.

(Incidentally, by using a Terrier on the second stage, I pretty much guaranteed that the thing wouldn't get into space after decoupling without manual control. Not enough TWR on a follow-prograde trajectory to get and stay in space before falling back to Kerbin. I could land the first stage or get the probe to orbit, but not both in the same launch, so I cheated a little for the video.)

17 minutes ago, ShadowZone said:

Thanks!

Couldn't have done it without the fantastic mod by @Galileo and all the others that contributed to it. It turned out really great, was easy to use and I don't think my game crashes were because of the mod :D

Always great to see your videos in the subscription feed!

9 hours ago, Staticalliam7 said:

@KerbalProductions Excellent job on your video. Well done

Thanks! Just wondering why it didn't mention me :D

Oh someone is sharing my name

Spoiler

SPOILER_94d8a11bfaca520a356402de18326b92 this won't happen... who shared my name

Wait DID I JUST STEAL SOMEONE'S NAME

I swear to Jeb! Kerbal Productions is a name thought in my mind

Well if you hit at 7Km/s its an decent chance you "quantum tunnel" trough Dimorphos as the game only updates every 350 meter with an tick every 50 ms or 20 times a second. 
Now that would be a bit fun itself. 

I say it would be nice to drop off an smaller recording probe who trail behind an miss to take some shot of the impact but I guess it would be to large to be practical. 

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Well if you hit at 7Km/s its an decent chance you "quantum tunnel" trough Dimorphos as the game only updates every 350 meter with an tick every 50 ms or 20 times a second. 
Now that would be a bit fun itself. 

I say it would be nice to drop off an smaller recording probe who trail behind an miss to take some shot of the impact but I guess it would be to large to be practical. 

Actually when hitting Dimorphos (at 7.1km/s) I had a few times where the probe collides before or after actually hitting the asteroid.

My take on this, however I did an Dart 2 mission with an larger rocket :)
9rBmeKzh.png

Pretty happy with the starship model I came up with. I hit Dimorphos with starship at 1800 m/s. Then put the ion powered 2.5 meter cubesat into orbit, used the claw on Dimorphos, landed an probe and later the mothership on it. Landed as in using the engines to get surface contact. 
Ground anchors probably help here. 
Dart mission - Imgur

A few comment on this, the escape velosity is idiotic small as in < 0.2 m/s. Un-docking the relay satellite from the small docking port sent it on an escape trajectory and it had no engine, on the other hand it would use over an year escaping :) So everything here need an tiny engine, rcs or an ant is enough. 
Didymos has biomes who is pretty awesome. Think i try an manned starship mission :) 

13 hours ago, obnox twin said:

And here is my submission 

Nice one. 

Some feedback:

When you landed the booster, you should have waited till later to do the landing burn.

Those solar panels were comically large :D

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

A few comment on this, the escape velosity is idiotic small as in < 0.2 m/s. Un-docking the relay satellite from the small docking port sent it on an escape trajectory and it had no engine, on the other hand it would use over an year escaping :) So everything here need an tiny engine, rcs or an ant is enough. 
Didymos has biomes who is pretty awesome. Think i try an manned starship mission :) 

right after saying the ant engine is enough you decide to send a mission with the world's most powerful rocket :huh::D

1 hour ago, Staticalliam7 said:

Those solar panels were comically large :D

right after saying the ant engine is enough you decide to send a mission with the world's most powerful rocket :huh::D

For station keeping an satellite or even space station in orbit. Not for getting there and impacting +30 ton at 1.8 km/s. 
Once I found second stage had enough dV to reach the asteroid, dropping it and do the injection with the probe, a bit like how they impacted Saturn 5 3rd stages for seismic data. 

My solar panels ended up being to small or rater not articulated enough as I had the sun in the front during the insertion burn so two panels blocked and 2 and 20%. 
Ended having to burn and flip to charge and repeat. 

Now I tested with an follower probe, 500 meter back and to the side so it would not impact and hoped I would get some nice shots, however I tested twice and both times starship passed trough Dimorphos, its likely that the high velocity impacts only work for active crafts, at more reasonable velocities it works for all but not at these.