NASA DART Challenge

St4rdust

6 hours ago, TheKSPGuy said:

If only visual mods are allowed,

Why the hell would it not be allowed?

Of course it is

6 hours ago, TheKSPGuy said:

are custom flags allowed for color scheme

Well uh... you can just use the standard 2.5 tank that's white... but I suggest you can to stand out, but no TweakScale!

3 hours ago, mackyboy1983 said:

Great video!

You almost crashed on Didymos there!

On 11/16/2021 at 9:40 AM, magnemoe said:

A few comment on this, the escape velosity is idiotic small as in < 0.2 m/s. Un-docking the relay satellite from the small docking port sent it on an escape trajectory and it had no engine, on the other hand it would use over an year escaping :) So everything here need an tiny engine, rcs or an ant is enough. 
Didymos has biomes who is pretty awesome. Think i try an manned starship mission :) 

Or you could just restrict the ion engine's output. That's what I had to do to get an orbit.

1 hour ago, randomkspplayer said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KOs4FUJm76x5KpWbQuD1e0b3xXeG0CQ2/view?usp=sharing

here is my submission. i have worked on it for 2 days. also ignore the watermark. i am poor so i cant pay to remove the watermark. hope NASA likes it!!!! 

I don't know if NASA will like it but I did. :) You use physics warp while launching and re-entering? Yikes. 

11 hours ago, RedneckGaijin said:

Or you could just restrict the ion engine's output. That's what I had to do to get an orbit.

The ion engine or rather the 9 of them was fine and I was in an nice pretty circular orbit, The problem was that the tiny push you get from un-docking an small docking port, well it was enough to send the relay on an escape trajectory, the good news is that it will take over an year escaping, wilder the follower probe I dropped of the starship impactor, Oscar tank, ant engine and probe core well it had just enough dv to get into an high orbit. 
Or rater an 17 year flyby. 

The SOI of Didymos looks very large to me.  I expected something more like the one Gilly has, even at 1.8 km/s I still used many hours to reach it. Granted Gilly is inside Eve gravitation well wile Didymos is pretty far from the sun. 

9 hours ago, randomkspplayer said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KOs4FUJm76x5KpWbQuD1e0b3xXeG0CQ2/view?usp=sharing

here is my submission. i have worked on it for 2 days. also ignore the watermark. i am poor so i cant pay to remove the watermark. hope NASA likes it!!!! 

If I were to rate it from 1 to 10, I would choose... 7

But I would have recommended editing it much more like adding music and trimming it to the most important parts.
And also, I saw that you crashed on a different asteroid other than Dimorphos. I don't know but I think it would be required to crash on Dimorphos if you're not in console...? I don't know, can any admins verify this?

But nonetheless good video. 

1 hour ago, Kerbal Productions said:

If I were to rate it from 1 to 10, I would choose... 7

But I would have recommended editing it much more like adding music and trimming it to the most important parts.
And also, I saw that you crashed on a different asteroid other than Dimorphos. I don't know but I think it would be required to crash on Dimorphos if you're not in console...? I don't know, can any admins verify this?

But nonetheless good video. 

the mod doesnt work. i chose  kerbin-threatening asteroid. if i hadn't changed it's orbit, it would've got a gravity assist from the Mun and then crash into kerbin. 

5 hours ago, magnemoe said:

The SOI of Didymos looks very large to me.  I expected something more like the one Gilly has, even at 1.8 km/s I still used many hours to reach it. Granted Gilly is inside Eve gravitation well wile Didymos is pretty far from the sun. 

Didymos' sphere-of-influence was artificially inflated to make getting an interplanetary intercept with it using maneuver nodes comparable to other celestial bodies in the game.  Didymos' mathematically computed SOI is only 5.5 km, which would be unplayable.  It would be virtually impossible to get an intercept with something that small, leading to player frustration and complaints.  Didymos was given an SOI similar to that of Dres because we felt that would make the difficultly not any greater than what players are already accustomed  to in the stock game.

14 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Didymos' sphere-of-influence was artificially inflated to make getting an interplanetary intercept with it using maneuver nodes comparable to other celestial bodies in the game.  Didymos' mathematically computed SOI is only 5.5 km, which would be unplayable.  It would be virtually impossible to get an intercept with something that small, leading to player frustration and complaints.  Didymos was given an SOI similar to that of Dres because we felt that would make the difficultly not any greater than what players are already accustomed  to in the stock game.

Thanks, so I was correct in it felt large. I was prepared to separate the orbiter from the starship impactor and do most of the insertion burn in interplanetary space like you do with asteroids who don't have SOI

10 hours ago, randomkspplayer said:

the mod doesnt work.

Maybe you installed it the wrong way?

1 hour ago, The Destroyer said:

I'm not usually one to do stock replicas, but I really put a lot of effort into this one! I tried to be as close to real-life DART as possible, and packaged it up in a neat little cinematic - I hope you enjoy!

Now I have a competition! :cool:

Spoiler

This literally made me a bit self-conscious 'bout my work

2 hours ago, randomkspplayer said:

What is my score for the mission?

Just wait ;)