Jump to content

Current (Vanilla) KSP problems fixed in KSP2? (Bi-Coupler to two engines to two separators to bi-coupler) (Rover wheels getting wonky upon return to celestial body)


Recommended Posts

I know we have  healthy modding community that has solved several of these - but I like to play my games vanilla.  There's a couple of things that bug me about KSP that I hope are fixed in 2.

Take putting two small engines on a destination stage; like two Terriers attached via a bi-coupler to a craft the diameter of a Mk-3 command pod.  To reconnect to the lower (atmospheric) stages, the temptation is to apply two small decouplers to the bottom of each engine, then flip another bicoupler over and attach it to them, and continue building out the lower stages with parts again the diameter of the Mk-3.  Looks great in the VAB, but often as not blows up in flight.  Do we know whether this will work - or if there is a way to build a manifold of small engines that a decoupler will work across in KSP 2?

Also - and this is a real pet-peeve: the wheels on my rovers lose their ever-loving minds between when I first use them on a celestial body and the second/all subsequent times I visit.  No matter how well I construct and test a set of rover wheels (4 or 6, makes no difference) and set them up so that some are drive wheels and some can steer and all work the way I want them to at the KSC and when first deployed... the NEXT time I go to use the rover, the wheels decide to go in different directions (w-key makes some go forward, some go backward) and turn or not turn regardless of what I initially set them up to do.  I have never found a good solution to this or explanation of why it happens... it just happens.

Would love to see KSP-2 rovers work the way they're set up and tested before flight throughout the entire mission.

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Take putting two small engines on a destination stage; like two Terriers attached via a bi-coupler to a craft the diameter of a Mk-3 command pod.  To reconnect to the lower (atmospheric) stages, the temptation is to apply two small decouplers to the bottom of each engine, then flip another bicoupler over and attach it to them, and continue building out the lower stages with parts again the diameter of the Mk-3.  Looks great in the VAB, but often as not blows up in flight.  Do we know whether this will work - or if there is a way to build a manifold of small engines that a decoupler will work across in KSP 2?

Thank gods for engine plates. Solution for your problem.

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

the wheels decide to go in different directions (w-key makes some go forward, some go backward) and turn or not turn regardless of what I initially set them up to do.  I have never found a good solution to this or explanation of why it happens... it just happens

Control point: Forward? Just a guess based on experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Control point: Forward? Just a guess based on experience

I've tried it all.  CP forward worked for one rover - but then not the next two.  

 

7 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Thank gods for engine plates

OFC - the one expansion I don't have... 

-- Good news is that there is a vanilla fix - just not with the parts I mentioned (edited b/c I Googled 'engine plates' which hopefully make it in). 

 

2 hours ago, Jack White said:

OFC they would fix notorius problems of KSP. No way that will not be done

One would expect that, yes. But given how these problems still exist in the game today... It is likely that they are core conflicts within the engine itself (like the re-coupling issue) or something unexpected (like the wonky wheels). 

I guess what I'm asking is 'have we heard from the Dev team about improving and adding new engine features or mechanics'?  

I'd like to see a video of 'let's peek under the hood' of KSP2. 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I've tried it all.  CP forward worked for one rover - but then not the next two.  

 

OFC - the one expansion I don't have... 

-- Good news is that there is a vanilla fix - just not with the parts I mentioned (edited b/c I Googled 'engine plates' which hopefully make it in). 

 

One would expect that, yes. But given how these problems still exist in the game today... It is likely that they are core conflicts within the engine itself (like the re-coupling issue) or something unexpected (like the wonky wheels). 

I guess what I'm asking is 'have we heard from the Dev team about improving and adding new engine features or mechanics'?  

I'd like to see a video of 'let's peek under the hood' of KSP2. 

Well, devs have been talked about improvements in their engine, but I do not remember if they said what and how much they've done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...