The New Stock Repository Version 0.21

Name: MarsOne

Type: Base

Thread: Here

1V8GYjI.jpg

2013: a replica of the settlement will be built for training purposes.

2014: The first communication satellite will be produced.

July 2015: The astronaut selection process will be completed; six teams of four.

2016: A supply mission will be launched during January (arriving October) with 2,500 kilograms (5,500 lb) of food in a 5-metre (16 ft) diameter variant of the SpaceX Dragon. The fallback if this is not ready in time is either to use a 3.8-metre (12 ft) Dragon or to delay by two years.

2018: An exploration vehicle will launch to pick the location of the settlement.

2021: Six additional Dragon capsules and another rover will launch with two living units, two life support units and two supply units.

2022: A SpaceX Falcon Heavy will launch with the first group of four colonists.

2023: The first colonists will arrive on Mars in a modified Dragon capsule.

2025: A second group of four colonists will arrive. Every 2 years an additional group of four colonists will arrive.

2033: The colony will reach 20 settlers.

This is the next big project of civil aerospace: building up a settlement on mars for 4 people to stay there as long as they live. With SpaceX Falcon Heavy. It's a modular Duna base out of 8 parts, 2 crew units, 2 living units and 4 supply units. At first, you should bring the 2 central crew units to duna. Land the first (best on top of a small hill), go down with the second right next to it and dock it together while hoovering just a few pixels above the surface. With this method, you should dock all 8 parts togetherand then bring it to a plane place at one piece.

Download Crew Unit

Download Supply Unit

Download Living Unit

Puxk6Pp.jpg

JhZqeC0.png

EKsatGV.png

FvUyupK.png

A Supply Unit when hoovering:

AEX6oMx.png

Name: MarsOne

Type: Base

Thread: Here

1V8GYjI.jpg

2013: a replica of the settlement will be built for training purposes.

2014: The first communication satellite will be produced.

July 2015: The astronaut selection process will be completed; six teams of four.

2016: A supply mission will be launched during January (arriving October) with 2,500 kilograms (5,500 lb) of food in a 5-metre (16 ft) diameter variant of the SpaceX Dragon. The fallback if this is not ready in time is either to use a 3.8-metre (12 ft) Dragon or to delay by two years.

2018: An exploration vehicle will launch to pick the location of the settlement.

2021: Six additional Dragon capsules and another rover will launch with two living units, two life support units and two supply units.

2022: A SpaceX Falcon Heavy will launch with the first group of four colonists.

2023: The first colonists will arrive on Mars in a modified Dragon capsule.

2025: A second group of four colonists will arrive. Every 2 years an additional group of four colonists will arrive.

2033: The colony will reach 20 settlers.

This is the next big project of civil aerospace: building up a settlement on mars for 4 people to stay there as long as they live. With SpaceX Falcon Heavy. It's a modular Duna base out of 8 parts, 2 crew units, 2 living units and 4 supply units. At first, you should bring the 2 central crew units to duna. Land the first (best on top of a small hill), go down with the second right next to it and dock it together while hoovering just a few pixels above the surface. With this method, you should dock all 8 parts togetherand then bring it to a plane place at one piece.

Download Crew Unit

Download Supply Unit

Download Living Unit

Puxk6Pp.jpg

JhZqeC0.png

EKsatGV.png

FvUyupK.png

A Supply Unit when hoovering:

AEX6oMx.png

Wow, amazing replica, never thought this is possible withstock parts.

Btw OP it is already 0.22, do please change the title.

The first for 0.22:

So, I might as well put this up, since it's as perfected as it's going to be, and it's a nice file to have if you are in career mode and don't have yet access to the higher tiers but want to start fooling around with SSTO's. It's limited to tier 5 (the first time you get airbreather parts), so no docking ports, but it has RCS to approach other ships (so it can do crew transfer at LKO). Add a docking port as soon as you get them below the materials bay to refuel it for flights beyond LKO. Oh, and full science compliment for that tier, of course :)

3LjXiUp.png

It's quite heavy for a single jet with all that rocket fuel, so it'll take forever to climb to 10k (where the jet engine starts to become crap and you have to light the rocket engine and start behaving like a rocket), but you could always speed things up by doing some short bursts with the rocket (you waste fuel, though, and carry more excess jet fuel to orbit).

However, the glide characteristics when empty, or the flying characteristics at all times, are awesome. And the fuel load allows you to buzz the tower a few times before going to orbit, so be sure to check it out, and don't worry too much about reentry precision. Well, perhaps a little because those jets won't allow you to correct trajectory when you are going real fast and a little fuel goes a long way. But you have the endurance to cross oceans, albeit slowly.

K2JC8jP.png

Yup, that's what I do when I'm overshooting KSC: an inverted loop at reentry speeds and low altitudes. With full control of the craft even without cabin torque. And the plus side of having a SSTO that transitions to rocket power at 10kms and ~150m/s: if you refuel it on LKO, you have a craft with stupendous T/W and delta-v (on the order of 3km/s I believe, no kerbal engineer yet). That flight ended smoothly without engine use during the glide to the runway:

YbXFDMf.png

IMGUR ALBUM:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

DOWNLOAD:

http://www./download/p0wveqfgfp4lgly/SSTO+MkII+Sabre.craft

Rune. Plus, it looks very stylish and classical.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LTrotsky

Hello all.

Here are a few shots of the Kraken 11, based on the Kraken Launch Transit System 3b. Some Kerbalnauts may enjoy seeing what gets built at the lower tech levels while not knowing from sandbox play what techs and tech progression is best. It took some testing and some mistakes to get to the KLTS3b, but it is now a reliable total system for Munshots and (possibly) beyond. ;)

http://i.imgur.com/O7hgUk1.png"]O7hgUk1.png

http://i.imgur.com/BS7tOob.png"]BS7tOob.png

Featuring :

Stability : optimized wing positions on lower and middle stage, with a total of 5 reaction wheels distributed to maximize trajectory stabilization.

Payload Capacity : 3 stages for Launch, Orbit, and Transfer can deliver up to 14 tons of payload to the target body, with a payload configuration allowing for Kerbin Return.

Pre-Launch stage - 12 towers for launch stability, including 6 towers on upper stage attached with tower gantrys.

Launch Boost stage - Launch booster has 15 rocket motors, 12 LT-T45 LFE with gimbal vectoring on the outer ring, and 3 central LT-V30 motors, with a total thrust of 3045. (Note: it took some experimentation and calculation to get the fuel usage rates about equal between the inner core and outer ring).

Sub-Orbit to Orbit phase - the middle stage engages at MT 00:01:08, and moves the system into sub-orbit, then to a circular orbit, using 6 LT-V30 motors attached to the central transit stage with TT-70 radial de-couplers.

Orbit to Transit - the central transit stage usually has nearly full tanks, and can transfer the payload to Mun/Minmus SOI (movement to further planetary SOI has not been tested).

Target De-Orbit and Landing Interface stage - The KLTS-3b has a dedicated target de-orbit and landing interface stage, including fuel and a small motor to eliminate orbital velocity and position the lander for precise and targeted descent. This stage is jettisoned once the lander is in position over the landing site with most orbital and vertical velocity nominal.

Payload and Landing - the Kraken Lander has gone through many iterations, costing the life of 1 Kerbal. It is now reliable and stable, featuring 12 lander legs, a low center of gravity, unobstructed crew ingress and egress for EVA, and now includes every available science module, batteries and solar panels. The Lander has two stages with sufficient fuel for de-orbit, landing, eject and Kerbin return.

Safety - The capsule contains a special decouple and separation ejection, with 4 Separatron motors to move the vehicle away from any 'sub-optimal interface' which presents in the lower stages. This has save the life of at least 1 Kerbal so far. The system can also be used for deceleration during the re-entry phase.

Action groups

AG2 - ejects the upper tower gantrys, usually just after clearing the tower.

AG4 - Capsule safety separation/ejection

AG5 - Landing lights and lower gear process bundle

AG6 - Ladder extension.

Here's a shot of the Kraken Lander with ladders extended for reference. Not quite visible is the Materials Lab, which is attached to the RCS tank at the rear of the vehicle.

http://i.imgur.com/SEL64IN.png"]SEL64IN.png

Here's Jebdiah after the pad egress test :

http://i.imgur.com/Zo0pym1.png"]Zo0pym1.png

http://i.imgur.com/PyUpzaM.png"]PyUpzaM.png

Edited by LTrotsky

I posted this for a challenge in this thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55829-BSC-Albatross-3-Primary%21-Vote-now%21

Albatross 18

The Albatross 18 is a low altitude, basic jet powered plane modeled after a commercial airliner. The Albatross 18 has a wide wingspan and an abundance of fuel for long distance flights. The Albatross 18 cruises most efficiently between 8-10km altitude. No intake spam, no turbo jets, just style and comfort for 3 Kerbals.

Features:

- Unique passenger-plane aesthetics: Only 100 parts.

- Unique airbrake system: when in flight, lowering the landing gear also opens the engine nacelles, creating drag and slowing the plane to aid in safe landing

- Inline center-mounted engine: replicates the similar arrangement from the Lockheed L-1011 TriStar and provides added control through thrust vectoring

- Landing lights: for night landings

- Easy to control: but not twitchy

- Customizeable: easily switch out the basic jets for turbojets and the circular intakes for ram intakes, and turn this into a high altitude jet.

Action Groups

1: Lowers ladder from cockpit

Gallery

Craft File

http://www./download/q0eamibiqd4nn5m/Albatross_18_v2.craft

Special thanks to Giggleplex for design advice!

In 2006, the NASA's Deep Space Probe "New Horizons" Launched wit Atlas V (551) for its journey to Pluto, via Jupiter, where it took some fantastic pics of the moon Io. It's heading for outer space now. So I replicate the Probe, and opened a chest in the corner of the Vehicel Assembly Building, where I found an Atlas V. And I turned on my journey to Eeloo, via Jool, where I took pics of Tylo.

The Craft File!

Being new-ish to the game, and brand new to the forums (Hi by the way!),

I found myself quickly outclassed by many of the people here.

"Just finished my trip from Moho to Eeloo with my SSTO VTOL heavy lifter and landed right back on to the runway, I think I'm starting to get better at this game!"

I have a slightly more modest goal, I wanted to land a Kerb on Duna.

The rocket I built for that rose a little more up to the challenge than I thought it would.

Last flight, I went to Laythe.

"So you built a 700 ton 300 part monstrosity that looks like an angry mob of struts and rocket fuel?"

Not exactly, I admire those ships mind you, takes a lot of time, effort, and planning to heat your CPU to fusion levels.

This is a ship for the modest. This ship is for those of you trying to run this game on a Pentium 3 (please no), this ship is

economical. This ship, if you let it, could save your soul. (no.)

Coming in at a meager 33 parts and under 90t,

MATRYOSHKA 2.2 -Light Lander-

1425598_10151962439441251_843651365_n.jpg

It's minimal to say the least, and launches on a single mainsail.

Does it have;

RCS? No.

ASAS? Good old fashioned SASsy-pants.

A docking port? Nope.

Extra batteries? 50 should be plenty.

Landing lights? Try to land it "sunny side up"

Solars? I am a reasonable man.

Landing Legs?!? Little ones. The lander portion weighs under 1.5t

A Parachute? Just for you.

Flight Notes:

Don't even try to steer the 1st stage. It's not worth it. Just SAS and throttle to taste.

Try to get it in a low orbit, (70-80km) You will end up with some fuel on your third stage to burn in the right direction if you do.

Because it is so light and mostly made of fuel, the cruise stage is forgiving in the delta V, I don't have a number for you but,

Cruise Stage: 8.6675t - 60kN Thrust

So that's something.

In any case, I would personally trust this thing to land on anything but Tylo. You could try though.

On smaller bodies re-orbit is possible after landing if done efficiently. The jury is still out on Moho, Eeloo and Vall but hey, maybe.

I hope you enjoy this ship in all of it's skimpyness,

KingBean

12984_10151962439981251_1103531733_n.jpg

Download:

http://www./download/3hp5ns3usqhqv35/MATRYOSHKA+-LL-+2_2.craft

Edited by KingBean
incorrect download link

Copied straight from its thread, Project Phoebus is perfected enough so it can go here for posterity. Is this still maintained, BTW?

YSk0ljx.png

The new lander jumped the part number a bit from the previous 200 parts. (I'm that OCD), but it is still very manageable for slow computers. The thing is, I've always liked Apollo replicas. But since I saw Munbug for the first time, I thought I had nothing better to offer people. Since then however, not only has Munbug become wildly popular (first ship that gets stickied and all that), it has also become a lag monster with about 1000 parts. What happens to people with potato computers, they can't get nice toys to play with? Well here I am to change that! But I also wanted the high fidelity and attention to detail that the Munbug family had, of course. And the building tricks! So a few weeks back, in a fit of inspiration, I put all the ideas together, and set about to create an Apollo replica with a tight budget in every way. I think I succeeded! And believe me, I was the first surprised when I noticed this thing actually worked as intended. :)

We warned, this ship is for players that know their stuff, and has tight margins all around. Just like the real thing! If you find yourself failing with a maneuver, you have probably already have and will have to abort the mission and start thinking up ways to save your kerbals. But now that that's out of the way, the nerdy details. First off, I knew this would be a mass-limited thing. I just couldn't afford more than 10 first stage tanks if I had to keep part count low. So, I had my first inspired idea of the day, and used the skippers as F-1 equivalents. That meant poodles for J-2's, and they actually fit the part quite well. With that, I just had 11 tanks with 11 engines for the whole booster, and I could even afford some fairing eye-candiness. However, a small rocket means a light payload. Then again, NASA also struggled to fit a lunar mission inside the Saturn's V fairing :sticktongue:. But by keeping things light and simple (and very tight margins on the lander), we made do, and not one bit of realism suffered for it: as an example, the CM hangs from the fairing, and is not connected to the lander in any way, just like the real thing.

Then of course I came up with a very stupid-looking lander, but some time off the project, a look at the various other apollo replicas out there, and a fit of inspiration about how to put things together, and a newer and much more sexy lander came about:

NwXdWzN.png

Now, I must confess to a slight inaccuracy. Turns out the fuel doesn't fit 100% perfect with an Apollo flight profile: The S-IVb should have about half/one third of the CM's fuel. I know, tiny detail, but make sure you do two things: first off, the coast to apoapsis is a very nice time to perform the lander retrieval. You will ditch the upper part of the fairing, keeping space clean, which is always nice, and also you will save precious delta-v for TMI. Mind you, you could also dispose of the fairings after TMI along with the S-IVb, to keep it even more accurate and have time to do the fancy docking maneuvers, but then the decouplers may push the fairings away from a free return trajectory and into the garbage category. Second, before TMI, make sure to top off the S-IVb tank with fuel from the CM. You won't need all of that, but it's always nice to not have the maneuver interrupted because you miscalculated. If it happens anyway don't worry, you have a lot of emergency fuel on the SM, just transfer some more. Call that the checkout Apollo crews had to perform before TMI. :rolleyes:

Of course, to comply with the clean space act, the S-IVb is left on a crash course with the Mun, and the mission continues with a stack that would run on a wristwatch:

ZL8fQtV.png

Other than that, the missions keeps on following (obviously) and Apollo-like profile. I performed the Munar sortie from a 10kmx50km parking orbit, but then again, I managed to land on dry tanks. That actually happened, running out of fuel less than five meters from the surface, and on both test missions, with the new and the old lander. Because of math, and science! :D It was an effficient-ish landing with low T/W, so you might want to go slightly lower and never higher, and know your stuff to do good suicide burns.

I hit some snags during development, like landing legs that got lost to the kraken, and a parachute that continued to get ripped apart no matter what. But in the end, thanks to F9 and a bit of ingenuity, all kerbals managed to complete all test missions, and the bugs were ironed out without loss of green. A hugely succesful (and funny!) development program! :)

The full two test missions are commented somewhat in the album, so you can see the whole development program if you want (the version in the download with the sexy LEM and the thinner fairing is first), and a bonus download: the S-V replica as a two stage perfect subassembly. You know, for the Phoebus Applications Program (soon!). :)

IMGUR ALBUM:

DOWNLOAD:

Project Phoebus - Apollo-like Munar Mission

V rocket - Perfect subassembly

Rune. We choose to go to Mun, not the easy way, but the hard way!

The Drekevak Fifteen-II.

New 51 ton light cruiser Drekevak Fifteen-II. 2 ASMs, 2AFMs, with room for more and the abillity to carry 2 drop tanks. Ideal for the small navy; this ship can operate by itself against fighters or cruisers. And only 224 parts.

Since it's so light, both craft files lack a launcher. Feel free to put your favorite radially mounted launcher on it, or Hyper edit it to orbit.

DOWNLOAD

45B0z5M.png

4VgqnUq.png

With drop tanks:

1tyTYZa.png

• 2 weeks later...

Introducing the Mark 5, version 3, or, as I call her, the Mk5 v3 - an all-stock interplanetary cruiser with a seven kerbstronaut crew, light suite of scientific equipment, and a Delta V of an astounding 11,363 m/s

Driven by four NERVA engines, her 98.25 ton mass is placed into orbit fully fueled in a single launch by my stock proprietary universal Monster-Lifter 9. Once in orbit, framerates are kept low by a minimalist design of only 95 parts. Round trip flights to anywhere in the Kerbol system are now possible for a large crew from a single launch of this multipurpose vehicle, no mods required.

More stats:

Launch mass: 670.34 tons

Orbital mass (weight without lifter): 98.25 tons ------ Payload fraction = 14.6%

Dry mass: 23.095 tons

Delta V: 11,363 m/s

Crew: 7

Mods: none

Edited by Johnno
Fixed gallery linking

It's time to get silly.

Introducing my largest interplanetary vessel - the Pioneer class mothership.