The New Stock Repository Version 0.21

Hey Maxed, ive got one for you. Remember this? It tied your SSTO in our little competition? Well IT LIVES.

Great for parties! One man, LDO possible. RCS, Glides easy. Slightly tail heavy on landing. Remember to put all fuel foreward for landing.... and FOR KERBS SAKE KEEP SAS ON!

Next version (will be updated in 2 days) will have docking ports.

Download.

"2" for Jets

"3" for Aerospikes

"4" for NERVA (Long range)

screenshot323.png

screenshot326.png

Let's put something for 0.20, shall we?

Razor

vk7EtK0.jpg

Built taking advantage of extreme clipping technology, it sports a single jet so you don't have to worry against flameouts, 5 intakes to run it so you can climb to orbit efficiently, and a nuke engine as the main (and only) in-space powerplant. All tanks are accessible to refuel, even if the ones carrying oxidizer are invisible (it's the reason the aviation tanks are upside down, not just looks), and it has one port of each size available. Plus, it's equipped to perform tail landing on airless moons (the normal landing gear is operated through action groups). And the best thing... it clocks in at 45 parts, so you can actually use it in your game near to stations without having to resort to NASA supercomputers (as if NASA had those!) to run it without lag.

7LS2E44.png

The flight instructions are rather simple: careful when taking off, since you can hit the runway if you pull up too sharply, get to 45º until you hit 20 kms, then level off somewhat and gain speed until you get the first flameout at about 27-28kms and >1,500m/s. Then turn on the nuke, throttle back a bit (about 2/3rds works) to relight the jet, and build vertical velocity (you want at least 100m/s to get out of air quickly). Above 30kms you will have trouble to keep the jet working at more than half throttle, so turn it off and throttle back up to finish orbit insertion on the nuke, it should be simple. Circularize at desired altitude, and desired altitude can be Minmus orbit if you so wish. One-way interplanetary travels are also supported, but it's rather cramped in the cabin for that. Reentry and landing should be a breeze since it is pretty stable in atmosphere, and you have plenty of leftover liquid fuel after running the nukes dry, so go get somewhere interesting.

IMGUR ABLUM:

http://imgur.com/a/GZ5ww

DOWNLOAD:

http://www./download/1kz3sh7lam3d35a/Razor.craft

Rune. I know I said this before, but copy-paste is the best thing since sliced bread.

Brought to you by the OKB-1 Design Bureau...

Behold, the Mini N1-L3, the Soviet answer to the Saturn V. Capable of Mun-landing and return to Kerbin, it succeeds where the Russians failed.

Action Groups

1: Jettison Launch Escape System (can also be done through staging)

2: Extend ladders for crew transfer from the LOK to the LK lander.

3: Detach orbital section and descent capsule from the LOK, deploy parachute. Note: This is used for both reentry and the abort sequence.

4 (absolutely vital): Toggle gimbal on outer engines. Double tap 4 before launch. This turns off gimbal for 16 of the 24 thrusters on the outer ring. The remaining 8 help keep it stable without wobbling out of control.

0: Verisimilitude button. Be ready to press...

Backspace: Abort! This fires the launch escape system, which will carry your kerbal up and away from the rocket. After safely clearing the rocket, press 3 to return softly to terra firma via parachute.

Some Pictures:

oW4wAgX.png

nIn8zQg.png

uKEQkHV.png

IpBAN29.png

CwRZ9Cq.jpg

CfCEM7E.png

Craft File:

http://www./view/a4kmhssvqbudl8t/Mini_N1-L3.craft

Hi! I noticed I have few stuff added here for the new version. How about a revision of the Aurora capable of Munar missions?

- Aurora

Why just do something, if you can both do it and look cool? That's the design philosophy behind the Aurora. A 3-man orbital craft, the base model is a three-man spacecraft that can reach most medium-to-low Kerbin orbits. Let me show you, because it's selling point is both simplicity and looks:

The various launch vehicles, standing proud on the pad:

nlngpNY.jpg

Looking pretty on orbit:

dLiaUS7.jpg

Yeah, It's based on the concept of the F9-R. The capsule looks kind of like a Dragon (and works just like one with an abort system feeding off the main tanks), and the rocket is a two-staged reusable booster. If by some miracle you can get the second stage to orbit with you (it should run out just before, but I'm not the best pilot out there and I keep the fairing on until 2nd stage sep), don't worry, it's probed so you can deorbit it on residuals (You could want to move fuel to it to take it to orbit so you can refuel it later for interplanetary transfers, who knows). The capsule itself has like 1km/s in delta-v, so don't worry, she can make anything short of a lunar flyby... which she can do still, but it requires some proficient flying and has tight margins, a Minmus flyby will leave you with fumes on the tanks after a reasonably efficient launch. Also a lot of shenanigans like scientific instruments and an electrical system with lights, whatever I could think of.

If you want just a bit more performance, to offset your pilot errors, or perhaps do a Mun landing mission, there is another version with additional boosters, both liquid for lunar landing missions and solid for "just a bit more punch", that is there for you. Or servicing a KSO station, whatever floats your boat.

The coolest thing of it all is the useless fairing and the unnecessary abort sequence. In a nominal launch you won't use it, but just for kicks, launch the thing and the press, with full throttle engaged, 9 (jettison fairings), 0 (abort proper) and, once you are a safe distance away, backspace (chutes and landing gear, make sure to throttle down prior), and watch the pretty fireworks as you walk away unscathed. Guaranteed (*) to get you out of anything, including a pad abort under SRB power .

As to flight instructions, it's set up so you just have to press spacebar as fuel runs out to stage it (a rather spectacular second stage separation with the fairings blowing away, I must say), and optimal start of gravity turn is at about 10,000m, no throttling required along the way. I just explained the most complicated stuff which is the abort sequence... so yeah, that's basically it. There's a bunch more stuff action-grouped, but that's just for convenience, no preflight checks or nothing. As I said, simplicity and looks, the brain was sufficiently used during design.

Note the initial version I came up with had both the SRB's and just four LVT-45's on the core (there might be some pics of that in the album), and no reusability stuff. That is probably more efficient and effective, but you know what? This... is... KSP!!! And now I have added also a Munar-capable version, perhaps it would be better if you just head for the reconstructed thread where I explain all that stuff.

IMGUR ALBUM:

(A bunch more pictures I might update)

http://imgur.com/a/akDKk

DOWNLOAD:

Basic two-stage version:

http://www./?w3mcktw6aq44u27

Long-range SRB version:

http://www./?eqwfepyb6bty4cv

Mark III Munar version (new!):

http://www./download/m7p7ws6rvupdnmx/Aurora_Mk_III_%28Stock%29.craft

*: Unless you actually need it to save your bacon, then we refuse any responsibility, because that's our thing.

Rune. Although all I put on the stock thread is stock... well duh.

Edited by Rune

New Orbiter!

The Orbiter Mk IV is capable of Jool (and laythe and goes beyond my call of duty. In the first flight alone it went to Laythe, rendezvoused with a manned lander, went back to kerbin, crew splashed down, and had enough fuel to send the unmanned section into munar orbit!

http://www./?emt43a9g9aou7t1

5OG1x4Q.png

ouqhsje.png

f5IwDtt.png

Demo* Compatible Soyuz Replica!

I made this while I was bored in the Demo version of KSP (*Version v 18, newest one)

It can achieve orbit around Kerbin with two Kerbals!

At default there is one Kerbal, so I added a ladder and second command pod under the first one.

To toggle the ladders, I used G, so press G twice to toggle the ladders.

Download link:

http://www./download/jaua8ud3t3ai6g4/Soyuz_Orbiter_Mk1.craft

xgtZLhi.png

1iirHCg.png

(sorry about the edited images)

To preserve for posterity, the Munshine V, a lightweight (both in terms of mass and parts count) implementation of the Apollo-style Mun/Minmus rocket. It comes in three versions:

Munshine V: Standard Apollo-style Mun mission craft. 194 parts, 394 tons.

Munshine V - E: Enhanced version carrying a rover. 215 parts, 399 tons.

Munshine V Deluxe: Includes rover, scientific instrumentation and decorative junk antennae. 249 parts, 401 tons.

Plenty of pictures and discussion in the Munshine V thread.

xvoBOuf.jpg

3S8rUsL.png

OyOIkTI.png

(Last picture displays scientific instrument panel included on Deluxe edition. Rover included in both Deluxe and "E" editions.)

The deep space splitter is essential to wide and long distance exploration.

2q3uiht.jpg

Old pic-Stacks changed to decouplers, added probe core to main ship, another RTG, fixed OCTO orientation for radial probes, replaced round 8's with flt-200.

Total parts: 242

Mass: 512t

Probe Stats

Name: Splitterling

Parts: 12 (14 counting small strut and decoupler)

Mass: 1.4t

Electric Charge: 405

Xenon gas: 1400

Power: 2x gigantor solar panels, 4x Z-100's

Propulsion: 1x Ion engine

5x Probes

These probes are specifically engineered for a trip to jool, one for each moon. Carrying two gigantor solar panels to make up for the half strength of the sun at jool, even then able to burn a 100% with no charge loss in correct position. Has plenty of xenon gas for maneuvers, an avionics package for looks-with the bonus of flight assistance (.2t lighter than a small cone too!), and four batteries that keep through the night. However they can be modified for closer worlds by taking off the extra solar panel and replacing it with some other part that will be of use, or adding very light parts such as communotrons, dishes, or other useful small mod parts. They can also be mass deployed and heavily cover a single body instead, or deployed on your voyage and hit other planets as well. Their biggest advantage is the small weight and parts count for the DΆthey offer. So small, they barely weigh down a ship... with subassembly, you could add one or more of them to your jool destined ship and have a free satellite(s). Or you could add even more to a ship that launches them by themselves and mass deploy two or three for each moon!

There isn't anything super special about flying it. Just remember to:

-Eva the kerbals and end... flight them, I put the lander can there for more torque

-The probes are light but can still throw the NERVA off balance, so only fire when the probes are even, or the last one on

-Speaking of the last one on it should be saved for Bop so you could use the NERVA for the huge inclination burn.

-Do NOT open solar panels until probe is deployed and taken control of it. Two hidden RTG's in main ship will keep 'em charged in the meantime.

Action Groups:

1-Open solar panels

2-Extend antenna

Destination arrival in chronological order:

If curious the parking orbit of the main ship was between tylo and vall, but after conquering tylo, vall, and laythe, was soon to be found on a collision course with tylo after several orbits, and was moved between tylo and bop, farther away this time.

Tylo:

22lwef.jpg

Vall:

33p7kn7.jpg

Laythe:

a2cfmd.jpg

And to prove that these Ion engines can stand up to the big boys, It can even save itself from a collision course, and even then it still didn't use up the first tank! (I had already done some of the burn so it was even worse before the pic)

soaezn.jpg

ritgr7.jpg

It even areobrakes like a 'real' probe. (Liquid engines can **** **!)

35i2a2r.jpg

Pol:

30ljmzr.jpg

Bop:

2w3yhsk.jpg

Craft. file

http://www./view/wv2c9t...Splitter.craft

So I just finished building this and thought I'd share. No idea if anyone's built similar on here already, but taking my inspiration from the Daedelus on Stargate SG1 and Atlantis, I present the KSS Othello. She is entirely decorative, though she's fueld up, and has enough generators to fire all the ion engines, though not sure if they'd do any good.

She weighs 253 Tons and has a staggering 1066 peices. I wasn't going for efficiency, I was going for aesthetics. Anyway, let me know what you guys think. My PC can barely cope with looking at her, so Lord knows how I ever got the last peice of 5 attached.

2013_06_15_00001.jpg

2013_06_15_00002.jpg

2013_06_15_00003.jpg

2013_06_15_00004.jpg

2013_06_15_00005.jpg

2013_06_15_00006.jpg

2013_06_15_00007.jpg

So I present the KSS Othello, based off the Daedelus off of the Stargate franchise. This is my first big design, having not logged many hours in kerbal yet. I have only successfully landed on the mun once but I found a bit of a passion for space building and docking. She's entirely decorative, though her two poodle engines are fueled and ready for use should the time come, as are the Ion Engines, but I doubt they'd do anything to be honest.

She's entirely stock except for a few mechjeb's which I forgot to take off, so I'm hoping you purests can forgive me that. I only used it for the rendevous, the docking was all manual. She weighs 253 Tons and has a massive 1066 parts, and was assembled from 5 sections. Almost everything is for aestheitcs, I'm well aware things like the jet engines serve no practical purpose, but I was working off rule of cool. She was never going to break orbit anyway.

Let me know what you guys think.

2013_06_15_00001.jpg

2013_06_15_00002.jpg

2013_06_15_00003.jpg

2013_06_15_00004.jpg

2013_06_15_00005.jpg

2013_06_15_00006.jpg

2013_06_15_00007.jpg

her two poodle engines are fueled and ready for use should the time come

wait, 253 tonnes and only 440 KN on thrust? doesn't that give a max acceleration of like 1.74 m/s^2?

IDK how much fuel she's got, but that isn't much in the way of acceleration.

wait, 253 tonnes and only 440 KN on thrust? doesn't that give a max acceleration of like 1.74 m/s^2?

IDK how much fuel she's got, but that isn't much in the way of acceleration.

I didn't say she was a sensible/realistic design. She's just a space sculpture.

• 2 weeks later...

HELPr series (sub)orbiters (Thread)

A family of hyperefficient(1), SStO, 'reusable' lifting vehicles to place up to a given tonnage(2) on near-orbital trajectories(3). Circularization and other orbital manoeuvres deferred to payload.

(1) Payload percentages of gross tonnage between 55 and 70 per cent.

(2) Range from 6 to 55 tonnes of payload; gross mass from 10 to 80 tonnes.

(3) Average Ap-Pe of 75-35km.

Edited by KwirkyJ
added unit

I'll take this opportunity to show off my fully functioning (but impractical) space shuttle design!

Take-off

screenshot795.jpg

Gravity turn:

screenshot803.jpg

And docking

screenshot853.jpg

Craft file will be posted as soon as I wake up tomorrow

Flight instructions:

1. Launch, for the first 10 km, it's just like a regular rocket, just don't turn off the ASAS (Yes, it will be on 90% of the time)
  2. At 10 km, initiate gravity turn
  3. Watch the pitch trim very carefully. It will tell you when you need to fire the stabilization rockets. When the pitch gets half way to the bottom, press 5 to turn on the OME's. When it reaches half way to the bottom again, press 7. Then 8, then 9, and finally when the tank runs out of fuel press space twice to seperate the fuel tank, and the orbiter flies just like a rocket.

Note, if these instructions are not working out for you, you can just PM me and I will give you more detailed instructions as well as better screenshots. If I get enough requests I will post more detailed flight instructions (I will probably have to anyway).

Since my first stock craft was warmly received by literally several users, I have now posted a basic jet airplane...which comes with an optional rocket launch system for suborbital, range-extending delivery. (So does it still go into Atmospheric Vehicles? Eh, I'm sure Maxed-Rockets will know best.) Details can be found in the following thread:

KevinTMC's Delta Hornet: Basic jet aircraft...with optional rocket delivery!