Making Dres unboring

Dres is sort of an asteroid hub and in KSP 1 there was a ‘magic asteroid’ that looked like it had veins of radioactive substance. Dres probably has incredibly dense uranium deposits on the mountain range. As a side note, I hope that we can still find the magic asteroid and mine it for large amounts of uranium. 

Edited by t_v
Auto incorrect

12 hours ago, BekfastDerp13 said:

Dres could be a hotspot for nuclear fuel mining colonies

Not a bad idea, but not just nuclear fuel, lets say many types of metals. Perhaps things we consider "rare eath" elements that could be used in high tech batteries, super conductors, high temperature materials (like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tantalum_hafnium_carbide ), etc.

Similar materials could be on Moho. Smaller bodies wouldn't concentrate that stuff as well in their cores - which results in a deficiency in the crust (but undifferentiated or poorly differentiated bodies do that better). It also should be fairly dense, due to a lack of volatiles. 

But Dres is much farther out of the gravity well, and even lower gravity... with closer access to the volatiles you'd expect to get from Jool.

Even if Dres has very high concentrations of Uranium, why does that make it worth visiting? In KSP1 people usually just wait a longer time to mine in convenient areas that may have low 'ore' concentrations, I think it will stay that way in KSP2.

Perhaps we'll need huge quantities of Uranium for Orion drive fuel, so much so that even with time-warp it would take an annoying length of time to mine on Kerbin.

An automated delivery system would make the transport process less tedious, and mining on Dres worthwhile from a gameplay perspective.

Or, Dres has something which we can't find on Kerbin at all ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd expect it's more of the "stuff you can't find on Kerbin at all" kind of thing, with each planet having something in vast quantities that is either vanishingly rare or entirely nonexistant in the Kerbin-Mun-Minmus planetary system.

The problem I keep having with vanilla-solar-system KSP is that I keep getting "stuck" in Kerbin's SOI, because you really just don't need to go anywhere else to unlock everything and "ore" is the only mined resource.

So, maybe Dres has large amounts of Xenon in its regolith, or something. If it also has large amounts of Uranium ores, then that would happen naturally due to radioactive decay of Uranium.