You'll never believe what Jeb just saw!

ColdJ

Jeb saw the Kerbol system from outside the Kerbol system.

Oh no, not another new page, you must stop turning pages, don't you know that there is a monster at the end of this book.

Sincerely: Grover.

Edited by ColdJ

Just now, Kerb24 said:

It seems it affects KSP the worst, though some other programs are running slower.

You have a heat problem on your rig.

Install some monitoring tools, as https://openhardwaremonitor.org/downloads/ and see how your computer is behaving - it's usually a bad thing having anything hotter than 90ºC (194ºF).

I think you need to clean up your computer air intakes and fans - you should be doing it once a year anyway

(my last disk crash on my MacMini was due exactly this - I plain forgot of cleaning it, and the thermals cooked up the hard disk)

Just now, Lisias said:

You have a heat problem on your rig.

Install some monitoring tools, as https://openhardwaremonitor.org/downloads/ and see how your computer is behaving - it's usually a bad thing having anything hotter than 90ºC (194ºF).

I think you need to clean up your computer air intakes and fans - you should be doing it once a year anyway

(my last disk crash on my MacMini was due exactly this - I plain forgot of cleaning it, and the thermals cooked up the hard disk)

Oh. Explains everything. I have had my computer for a few years, never cleaned it.

2 minutes ago, Kerb24 said:

It seems it affects KSP the worst, though some other programs are running slower.

Assuming it is a PC. Then if you can identify a pattern, you may be able to isolate which component is having the problem and not scrap the entire thing. Do you clean it of dust regularly? Have you checked that it is being cooled properly and not overheating and degrading performance. Have you got Hardware monitor or Speccy to give you an idea as to what is going on in the background etc?

7 minutes ago, Kerb24 said:

Assuming it is a PC. Then if you can identify a pattern, you may be able to isolate which component is having the problem and not scrap the entire thing. Do you clean it of dust regularly? Have you checked that it is being cooled properly and not overheating and degrading performance. Have you got Hardware monitor or Speccy to give you an idea as to what is going on in the background etc?

@Lisias Ninja Jinx. :)

Jeb saw how his simulation box witness 5 crashes, 3 caused by AVP, 1 because of Lack of Free memory of RAM, and the last one because it almost managed to load up the new settings, only to crash during the change.:mad:

I'm not joking, for some reason KSP now refuses to load like before, and i even had good fps.

26 minutes ago, Venusian Explorer said:

Jeb saw how his simulation box witness 5 crashes, 3 caused by AVP, 1 because of Lack of Free memory of RAM, and the last one because it almost managed to load up the new settings, only to crash during the change.:mad:

I'm not joking, for some reason KSP now refuses to load like before, and i even had good fps.

I usually get this when I abuse my GPU's VRAM (what's pretty easy, it's a punny Intel HD4000).

Uninstall the add'ons with heavy textures (as ReStock) and see what you get.

If confirmed, a way to mitigate the problem is to reduce the Quality of the Textures to One Quarter or even One Eighth on Settings/Graphics on the Main Menu.

The gory reason for the problem is that once you overflow your GPU's native VRAM, the driver starts to borrow RAM from the CPU, but doing this will slow down everything because the PCIex bus is way slower than a direct memory access - not to mention that the CPU will be competing for that memory too and you will have Contention as both chips will want to access the memory all the time and someone will have to yield.

Edited by Lisias
I hate autocompletes. Don't you?