How much testing do you do on interplanetary/munar craft?

hubbazoot

I first get the basic design to accomplish the desired goal with a MechJeb pod, then once it is completed I certify it as "Kerbal Rated" and rebuild the successful design with a one-man command pod (W/ MechJeb Radial Edition on the pod) and if it doesn't work I tweak it until it does. Then I rebuild again with the 3-man command pod, adding more boosters n' stuff untill it goes up at launch rather than down!

I test by stages: first I build the lander and make sure it works, then the interplanetary stage, and finally the to-orbit stages. (although the to-orbit testing stages are really just a bunch of full-scale attempts until I make it)

It doesn't always work, though: I did this for my 6-part deployable Mun base only to find on final descent that a fuel line in the wrong place had used up all my landing fuel getting to orbit.

Depends what I'm trying to accomplish. For a new rocket/system, I'll test stages. 1) Ensure my new rocket can get to Kerbin orbit. 2) Ensure it has enough fuel to transfer to its destination. 3) Ensure it can get back. 4) Actually land it, if applicable.

My testing goes a little something like this:

1. Build rocket.

2. Check if level? If so, move to step 3. If not, repeat step 1.

3. LAUNCH! If it crashes, repeat step 1 - 2.

4. ???

5. Land on faraway places. If it can return home, do so. If not...Move on. Moment of Silence.

I build my rocket into modules and test each one of them. It often ends in just adding 'MooAarR Boosters' however...

The mission module.

Whether this be a lander or orbiter I make sure everything works before building the next stage.

It also does the last 10% of getting into orbit and all the thrusting it needs to get from Kerbin orbit to where it's going and back home again.

The orbital booster

This booster gets me 90% into orbit.

The launch booster

This gets me out of the atmosphere.

I'm hoping later versions of KSP allow me to make and pick launch vehicles to put my missions into orbit.

I do quite a bit of testing actually... For my landers and interplanetary transfer stages I calculate delta-v and Thrust to weight ratio. That helps eliminate a lot of the guesswork. The launcher stage has 1 purpose: get the former into orbit. If it can do it, great. If it can't. Well, then...its out. My current lander has 4.2km/s delta-v. Which may be enough to return from some places. If it were just for landing it would be a complete overkill. As for getting back, well Jeb, thats above your paygrade. (which is 0 anyway)

Anyway Ill still have to test that.

I guess at what will work and the see if it does. Like today for example. I made a really BIG lander. I didn't play with moving things around in the stages as I was just going to see if the landing legs extended past the engines. After a few plugs in tests, where Jeb was not happy about not launching, I finally got the legs past the engines. Then I got caught up in go fever, said PTFI ;) and went ahead and launched. Problem is, I'm not very good at powered landings yet. Here are the before and after screenshots. My son says it is a dismal failure, but I call it a roaring success. After all, I have spare parts left over for future missions. ;)

183376_3178550882851_599919431_n.jpg

229440_3178552282886_453418532_n.jpg

The central stack is going to be the Nerva engine to go far places. The outside engines are for landing, but I might want to use a mechjeb capsule, when it is .17 ready, to save Kerbals as I practice powered landings in high grav environments. ;)

I guess at what will work and the see if it does. Like today for example. I made a really BIG lander. I didn't play with moving things around in the stages as I was just going to see if the landing legs extended past the engines. After a few plugs in tests, where Jeb was not happy about not launching, I finally got the legs past the engines. Then I got caught up in go fever, said PTFI ;) and went ahead and launched. Problem is, I'm not very good at powered landings yet. Here are the before and after screenshots. My son says it is a dismal failure, but I call it a roaring success. After all, I have spare parts left over for future missions. ;)

183376_3178550882851_599919431_n.jpg

229440_3178552282886_453418532_n.jpg

The central stack is going to be the Nerva engine to go far places. The outside engines are for landing, but I might want to use a mechjeb capsule, when it is .17 ready, to save Kerbals as I practice powered landings in high grav environments. ;)

MechJeb is already in 0.17 and it also comes with a Radial edition so you can retrofit a MechJeb pod onto your existing manned capsules. The landing autopilot is a godsend! (Especially for helping to decide what areas to evacuate in the event of unexpected parachute failure and subsequent lithobraking)

My current plan (we'll see how well it survives contact with reality) is to have one ship for the crew (including a hab module), with enough fuel for a round trip, staying in orbit; and then another for the lander, with just enough fuel on the NERVA transfer stage to get there and slow down into orbit. The latter will have its crew capsule emptied out on the pad and launched to [planet] under remote. The two ships rendezvous at the destination, the crew transfers to the lander, descends and ascends, and transfers back to come home.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.