Cant play kerbal right now! GPU crashing

Already fixed (maybe)

When i start up kerbal it works perfecly, but when i am in editor gpu is at 40% usage and cpu 30% which is normal

When i hit launch and go to simulation/playing mode my gpu rises to 60% usage and cpu is still 30%, but then when i start to fly (plane or rocket) my gpu goes to 96-99% usage and cpu to 35% and then my gpu just straight up crashes

Before there were no problems but randomly this started happening idk what to do (before gpu was at max 55% when flying at hight speeds near ground)

what i know

- My gpu is 63 celcius when playing so its not overheating and cpu is 55c and ram is at 50%

- I restored to older Nvidia driver and it still crashes

- I tried to lower graphics, it decreased gpu usage but  still it crashed

- All other games working perfectly, just ksp

- When gpu crashes i still hear sound of the game but all my pc fans ramp up to max idk why, then i have to restart my pc

- Done fresh install and tried multiple graphical settings, no difference

Specks

- Ksp graphics are at nearly lowest and no mods

- Asus rog strix RTX 2060 super

- Amd ryzen 5 3600 (3.6ghz)

- 16GB ram (3200mhz)

- Asus rog strix B450-F GAMING motherboard

- Game installed on samsung SSD

- Windows 10 (21H1) newest updates installed

Thank you for helping :)

From Freezing cold Finland

player. log (google drive)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i0Wdfdyj3hk61Dsa6bBT6U4J0OClAi73/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Noobi
added new information on problem

4 hours ago, Kapitalizing Every Word said:

Do you have any graphics mods? most of them don't run in the editor but they do on flight. You should also try modifying the settings to see if any of them is causing those weird issues.

Ah yes the best PC cooler

I don't have any graphical mods. I tried to chance graphics and other settings, and did fresh install but no difference

Edited by Noobi
edited bc, i added new information

Oh, try verifying game files and see if it works.

Steam Support :: Verify Integrity of Game Files

Maybe you have deleted a game file.

If that doesnt work

- Reinstall GPU drivers

- Update GPU Drivers

- Disable Background Apps

- Downgrade your GPU

goodluck.

Edited by Proxbi Kerman
Picture!

5 hours ago, Proxbi Kerman said:

Oh, try verifying game files and see if it works.

Steam Support :: Verify Integrity of Game Files

Maybe you have deleted a game file.

If that doesnt work

- Reinstall GPU drivers

- Update GPU Drivers

- Disable Background Apps

- Downgrade your GPU

goodluck.

I have done (verify file integrity) multiple times ( and reinstalled ksp)

i have reinstalled gpu drivers and tried older drivers too

i have tested playing without background apps

i can't downgrade gpu because i have just year 2002 nvidia gpu that dont support ksp

thank you for helping, but i honestly don't know what to do ( i am kind of pc nerd so i have tested every common solution)

Your Welcome!

On 11/19/2021 at 2:23 AM, Noobi said:

I have done (verify file integrity) multiple times ( and reinstalled ksp)

i have reinstalled gpu drivers and tried older drivers too

i have tested playing without background apps

i can't downgrade gpu because i have just year 2002 nvidia gpu that dont support ksp

thank you for helping, but i honestly don't know what to do ( i am kind of pc nerd so i have tested every common solution)

wait- you have a gpu that doesnt support ksp so maybe thats why it crashes

if you already know it, oops

Edited by Proxbi Kerman
Wait....

12 minutes ago, Proxbi Kerman said:

Your Welcome!

wait- you have a gpu that doesnt support ksp so maybe thats why it crashes

if you already know it, oops

No my gpu what i am using rtn does support ksp, but i have only one another gpu in my pc part storage and that does not support ksp, so i can't try another gpu if that works. 

did you get it (bad at english)

i checked the another gpu, and i can't use it, because its not compatible with my psu and a have no adapter  :(

so hopefully we can find the problem or squad can fix this ( i sent mail to technical support of ksp if they can help too)

There's a thing called Player.log (I'm on mobile, can't search for where to find it now, sorry) that may have a hint about what's happening.

Find it and copy it on Dropbox or something,  then publish the link. With some luck, we will find some error message that can help. 

In the mean time, my crappy GPU has problems with atmospheric effects on crafts with many parts, usually set them to low. But I!m blind guessing on this one.

— — POST EDIT — — 

Additionally… There's something else to be considered, that just happened to me last week...

I'm on the South Hemisphere, and I just leaved a moderate winter into a somewhat hotter than normal spring, and curiously my professional machine started to overheat. The thermal protection prevented it from melting, but it got so hot that it broke the (crappy, I admit) HD of the secondary machine stacked above.

It ended up that the machine was so dirty inside that there was no air flowing anymore - but since the clogging happened on winter, it passed trough - but on the first hot day, that extra degree on the environment's temperature was the straw that broke the camel's back.

By opening the machine and cleaning it (and remembering to be sure that the air vents were unclogged), everything came back to norma now - the machine is running cooler than were running on winter, by the way.

What you describes is interestingly similar to what I was seeing on the machine - perhaps you just need to clean up your machine guts, check the fans, etc….

Edited by Lisias
POST EDIT

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

There's a thing called Player.log (I'm on mobile, can't search for where to find it now, sorry) that may have a hint about what's happening.

Find it and copy it on Dropbox or something,  then publish the link. With some luck, we will find some error message that can help. 

In the mean time, my crappy GPU has problems with atmospheric effects on crafts with many parts, usually set them to low. But I!m blind guessing on this one.

— — POST EDIT — — 

Additionally… There's something else to be considered, that just happened to me last week...

I'm on the South Hemisphere, and I just leaved a moderate winter into a somewhat hotter than normal spring, and curiously my professional machine started to overheat. The thermal protection prevented it from melting, but it got so hot that it broke the (crappy, I admit) HD of the secondary machine stacked above.

It ended up that the machine was so dirty inside that there was no air flowing anymore - but since the clogging happened on winter, it passed trough - but on the first hot day, that extra degree on the environment's temperature was the straw that broke the camel's back.

By opening the machine and cleaning it (and remembering to be sure that the air vents were unclogged), everything came back to norma now - the machine is running cooler than were running on winter, by the way.

What you describes is interestingly similar to what I was seeing on the machine - perhaps you just need to clean up your machine guts, check the fans, etc….

Ok here is the link for Player. log  (google drive)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i0Wdfdyj3hk61Dsa6bBT6U4J0OClAi73/view?usp=sharing

hope you see something valuable information on it

I clean my pc every month, lastly yesterday, so i don't think thats the reason (my pc is not overheating at all,  i just installed some new fans couple of weeks ago)

thanks for helping

4 hours ago, Noobi said:

I clean my pc every month, lastly yesterday, so i don't think thats the reason (my pc is not overheating at all,  i just installed some new fans couple of weeks ago)

Check if you didn't forgot some fan disconnected, just in case- I do it all the time, to the point that I only put back the screws after testing everything! :D

(or perhaps some other power line badly connected, this causes overheat)

— checking Player.log — 

Nothing. I found nothing. Not even a Warning, the log is clean.

Your card crashes only with KSP? Did you tried running some benchmarks as PassMark or 3DMark?

Additionally… There's a bug on Unity related to particles that are triggered when looking into a VAB/SPH lamp while it's sparking, it crashes the game. This happens with you? I found interesting that you said that things only blows up when you fly the craft - I'm assuming you are not building low cost airliners :P so you probably are crashing when the atmosphere or heat FX triggers (again, particles).

If the problem only happens with KSP, it should be related to something Unity does or needs that it's clashing with the GPU's device driver, I had heard of people that solved some problems like yours by installing a older (or newer) version of the device driver.

15 hours ago, Lisias said:

Check if you didn't forgot some fan disconnected, just in case- I do it all the time, to the point that I only put back the screws after testing everything! :D

(or perhaps some other power line badly connected, this causes overheat)

— checking Player.log — 

Nothing. I found nothing. Not even a Warning, the log is clean.

Your card crashes only with KSP? Did you tried running some benchmarks as PassMark or 3DMark?

Additionally… There's a bug on Unity related to particles that are triggered when looking into a VAB/SPH lamp while it's sparking, it crashes the game. This happens with you? I found interesting that you said that things only blows up when you fly the craft - I'm assuming you are not building low cost airliners :P so you probably are crashing when the atmosphere or heat FX triggers (again, particles).

If the problem only happens with KSP, it should be related to something Unity does or needs that it's clashing with the GPU's device driver, I had heard of people that solved some problems like yours by installing a older (or newer) version of the device driver.

All my fans are spinning and temperatures are normal, i did check all my cables earlier, one psu cable was loose but fixing that didn't change anything

I found out that when my gpu is at 99% usage while playing ksp, it doesn't heat up, it stays at 60c, normally it rises to 70c +. thats pretty weird 

Yea my card crashes only in ksp, i haven't tried any bencmarks, but i have played call of duty warzone at high craphics a bit and thats a tress test itself (gpu at 90% and cpu 70% usage all time and no crashes)

"There's a bug on Unity related to particles" I dont have that bug

I sometimes make big aircrafts sometimes small but both are crashing 

"so you probably are crashing when the atmosphere or heat FX triggers" No my gpu crashes before i get subsonic and i have heat FX at minimall/off

i tried installing older driver, didn't work, and i now have newest driver

information on tests i did

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I0Xk5aoaQB9W1a_PFvm03gIoZIAvHQ8A/view?usp=sharing

On 11/23/2021 at 12:29 PM, Noobi said:

All my fans are spinning and temperatures are normal, i did check all my cables earlier, one psu cable was loose but fixing that didn't change anything

I found out that when my gpu is at 99% usage while playing ksp, it doesn't heat up, it stays at 60c, normally it rises to 70c +. thats pretty weird 

Yea my card crashes only in ksp, i haven't tried any bencmarks, but i have played call of duty warzone at high craphics a bit and thats a tress test itself (gpu at 90% and cpu 70% usage all time and no crashes)

"There's a bug on Unity related to particles" I dont have that bug

I sometimes make big aircrafts sometimes small but both are crashing 

"so you probably are crashing when the atmosphere or heat FX triggers" No my gpu crashes before i get subsonic and i have heat FX at minimall/off

i tried installing older driver, didn't work, and i now have newest driver

information on tests i did

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I0Xk5aoaQB9W1a_PFvm03gIoZIAvHQ8A/view?usp=sharing

Oukey. So now we are in uncharted territory.

There's one more situation I'm aware that may be causing this crash, once it's stablished that it's not a problem with your GPU. Weaker CPUs are known to starve the GPUs on KSP, and when this happens the game crash (exactly why I don't know, but we can presume it's a bug on handling empty task queues or something). In a way or another, there's something we can try to break the current CPU/GPU power play, exploiting yet another bug on Unity that it's known to slow down CPUs (and more cores the CPU have, more it is dragged by the bug).

Open a CMD.exe, and type

cd <the place where your KSP is installed>
set MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU=1
KSP.exe

(I don't have a Windows machine around, so I hope I made it right - it's a long time since the last time I booted a Windows machine).

This trick will fool the Unity, telling it to use only one thread per CPU - and since some of these threads are the cause of the CPU being dragged, less threads will have less draggers, and so the CPU will work better.

Think that each thread is a rower, and each CPU is a row of rowers on a greek trirreme. The Unity bug is like placing some of the rowers rowing backwards - the less rowers doing that, the less worst, and this is what that command above does.

If I'm right (and this is a loooong shot!), by having less threads screwing up, the CPU will have more time to keep the GPU fed up, and so this may help to prevent the situation in which the GPU crashes (assuming the other long shot of mine about the reason the GPU is crashing, of course).

On 11/24/2021 at 11:09 PM, Lisias said:

Oukey. So now we are in uncharted territory.

There's one more situation I'm aware that may be causing this crash, once it's stablished that it's not a problem with your GPU. Weaker CPUs are known to starve the GPUs on KSP, and when this happens the game crash (exactly why I don't know, but we can presume it's a bug on handling empty task queues or something). In a way or another, there's something we can try to break the current CPU/GPU power play, exploiting yet another bug on Unity that it's known to slow down CPUs (and more cores the CPU have, more it is dragged by the bug).

Open a CMD.exe, and type

cd <the place where your KSP is installed>
set MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU=1
KSP.exe

(I don't have a Windows machine around, so I hope I made it right - it's a long time since the last time I booted a Windows machine).

This trick will fool the Unity, telling it to use only one thread per CPU - and since some of these threads are the cause of the CPU being dragged, less threads will have less draggers, and so the CPU will work better.

Think that each thread is a rower, and each CPU is a row of rowers on a greek trirreme. The Unity bug is like placing some of the rowers rowing backwards - the less rowers doing that, the less worst, and this is what that command above does.

If I'm right (and this is a loooong shot!), by having less threads screwing up, the CPU will have more time to keep the GPU fed up, and so this may help to prevent the situation in which the GPU crashes (assuming the other long shot of mine about the reason the GPU is crashing, of course).

thanks i am trying that, i know how to do that.

i am curious what do i do if something goes wrong, do i just

set MONO_THEADS_PER_CPU=max or something

thanks i am trying that after your response :D

i updated my cpu chipset drivers but that didn't help either :(

Edited by Noobi
i forget to say something

What ? r5 3600 and rtx 2060 fits perfectly together. 

If my cpu is too underpowered why does other games work perfectly ? like apex legends runs at + 200 fps, while gpu at 80% and cpu at 50% 

Why ksp worked 2 months perfectly and then stopped working, I don't get it ?

If i have made wrong desicion on component picking, that had shown instantly when i got this pc 

3 hours ago, Staticalliam7 said:

From what it looks like, your CPU is too overpowered for your GPU. CPU should never be that low if your GPU is so high

Misconception. Even if the CPU is too weak, this is not a problem - you would merely underuse the GPU.

This is a software problem.

3 hours ago, Noobi said:

If i have made wrong desicion on component picking, that had shown instantly when i got this pc 

Exactly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.