Cant play kerbal right now! GPU crashing

On 11/30/2021 at 7:27 AM, Noobi said:

i haven't tried ubuntu, but i have tried other computers and they worked perfectly

If this works on other machines, and you've validated file integrity and reinstalled the game and drivers and windows, then it's a hardware issue on your machine.  So, you'll pretty much need to run benchmarks and tests on all of your hardware to find out which piece of plastic is the faulty one.  My recommendation, in the order I'd check (although I'm no PC wizard, so take this with several grains of your favorite spice):

1. RAM.  Not sure how much RAM you have, but at least test every stick you've got.
  2. GPU.  I know you said you tested this, but benchmark it with another game that works just to be on the safe side.
  3. Power Supply.  I've seen power supplies that look great one day but have issues with other stuff the next.  It is also entirely possible that your power supply doesn't have enough juice to run the game.  I know - you have other games that are just as power-intensive as KSP.  It never - NEVER - hurts to check.
  4. Hard Drive.  One faulty sector in the wrong spot can cause all kinds of grief.
  5. CPU.  And I'd check your heat sink here, as well as whatever cooling agent you've got on the outskirts of your motherboard.
  6. Fans.  I know - you said they are all working.  Again, it never hurts to double-check if you're doing a full workup.
  7. Motherboard.  Once you get this far, the only hardware issue it could be is the motherboard.  I doubt this is it; if the MB is bad, nothing would work.  But I've seen wonkier stuff happen.

At this point, if all your hardware checks out...I don't know.  I mean, I'm grasping at straws on the hardware aspect to begin with.

On 11/10/2021 at 1:43 PM, Noobi said:

When i start up kerbal it works perfecly, but when i am in editor gpu is at 40% usage and cpu 30% which is normal

When i hit launch and go to simulation/playing mode my gpu rises to 60% usage and cpu is still 30%, but then when i start to fly (plane or rocket) my gpu goes to 96-99% usage and cpu to 35% and then my gpu just straight up crashes

Before there were no problems but randomly this started happening idk what to do (before gpu was at max 55% when flying at hight speeds near ground)

what i know

- My gpu is 63 celcius when playing so its not overheating and cpu is 55c and ram is at 50%

- I restored to older Nvidia driver and it still crashes

- I tried to lower graphics, it decreased gpu usage but  still it crashed

- All other games working perfectly, just ksp

- When gpu crashes i still hear sound of the game but all my pc fans ramp up to max idk why, then i have to restart my pc

- Done fresh install and tried multiple graphical settings, no difference

Specks

- Ksp graphics are at nearly lowest and no mods

- Asus rog strix RTX 2060 super

- Amd ryzen 5 3600 (3.6ghz)

- 16GB ram (3200mhz)

- Asus rog strix B450-F GAMING motherboard

- Game installed on samsung SSD

- Windows 10 (21H1) newest updates installed

Thank you for helping :)

From Freezing cold Finland

player. log (google drive)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i0Wdfdyj3hk61Dsa6bBT6U4J0OClAi73/view?usp=sharing

I use an Intel UHD 620, I never got a GPU crash!

Do you have any visual mods?

2 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

If this works on other machines, and you've validated file integrity and reinstalled the game and drivers and windows, then it's a hardware issue on your machine.  So, you'll pretty much need to run benchmarks and tests on all of your hardware to find out which piece of plastic is the faulty one.  My recommendation, in the order I'd check (although I'm no PC wizard, so take this with several grains of your favorite spice):

1. RAM.  Not sure how much RAM you have, but at least test every stick you've got.
  2. GPU.  I know you said you tested this, but benchmark it with another game that works just to be on the safe side.
  3. Power Supply.  I've seen power supplies that look great one day but have issues with other stuff the next.  It is also entirely possible that your power supply doesn't have enough juice to run the game.  I know - you have other games that are just as power-intensive as KSP.  It never - NEVER - hurts to check.
  4. Hard Drive.  One faulty sector in the wrong spot can cause all kinds of grief.
  5. CPU.  And I'd check your heat sink here, as well as whatever cooling agent you've got on the outskirts of your motherboard.
  6. Fans.  I know - you said they are all working.  Again, it never hurts to double-check if you're doing a full workup.
  7. Motherboard.  Once you get this far, the only hardware issue it could be is the motherboard.  I doubt this is it; if the MB is bad, nothing would work.  But I've seen wonkier stuff happen.

At this point, if all your hardware checks out...I don't know.  I mean, I'm grasping at straws on the hardware aspect to begin with.

Yes sir, check time 

1. Both ram sticks working perfectly, did windows memory check

2. Bencmarked on ravenfied (which uses unity like kerbal) bencmarked on 300 bots, fps got very low but no overheating or grashing

3. My psu is 750w, its overkill for my pc. no problems under high load :)

4. Checked drives on crystaldiskinfo, no problems

5. Checked no problems, temperatures normal

6.  Checked, i bought a new fan last week, hopefully it arrives fast

7.  Agree but no problems everything working, no warning lights and no problems on bios either :(

Edited by Noobi
i messed up

On 11/30/2021 at 12:27 PM, Noobi said:

i haven't tried ubuntu, but i have tried other computers and they worked perfectly

Just to make it clear - you took your RTX 2060 and tested it other computers?

I'm considering a HW conflict related to the Asus motherboard - what would be pretty surprising, as they also manufactured the GPU.

Most games doesn't uses the GPU as KSP does, KSP loads everything and the kitchen's sink at once while most games loads and unloads assets. This pushes a bit the VRAM usage above the level usually is done by other games. Sometimes a memory conflict, sometimes some device driver using VRAM as it would be System RAM, whatever.

And, in fact, I just found something that may be related to your problem : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?114811-ASUS-motherboard-graphics-cards-problem

The interesting part is:

Have you tried updating to 2901 BIOS.
Im thinking the latest 1903 along with latest drivers and older microcode could be a culprit that caught up with latest drivers.
newest BIOS log says fixed display issue but unfortunately they are not always complete as to what was done. Actually quite the opposite with lines like improved performance. They should be more descript but this has never happened before and I dont expect it to start any time soon.

Check your BIOS version, see if there's not an update for it on Asus Support Page.

Exercise extreme prudence on updating the BIOS, a power failure on the middle of the process can brick your motherboard - follow PRECISELY the updating instructions to the letter. You may want to pay someone to do that for you, as these professionals usually have the tools to recover the original BIOS is something goes wrong (very, very rare - but it can happens).

2 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Just to make it clear - you took your RTX 2060 and tested it other computers?

I'm considering a HW conflict related to the Asus motherboard - what would be pretty surprising, as they also manufactured the GPU.

Most games doesn't uses the GPU as KSP does, KSP loads everything and the kitchen's sink at once while most games loads and unloads assets. This pushes a bit the VRAM usage above the level usually is done by other games. Sometimes a memory conflict, sometimes some device driver using VRAM as it would be System RAM, whatever.

And, in fact, I just found something that may be related to your problem : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?114811-ASUS-motherboard-graphics-cards-problem

The interesting part is:

Have you tried updating to 2901 BIOS.
Im thinking the latest 1903 along with latest drivers and older microcode could be a culprit that caught up with latest drivers.
newest BIOS log says fixed display issue but unfortunately they are not always complete as to what was done. Actually quite the opposite with lines like improved performance. They should be more descript but this has never happened before and I dont expect it to start any time soon.

Check your BIOS version, see if there's not an update for it on Asus Support Page.

Exercise extreme prudence on updating the BIOS, a power failure on the middle of the process can brick your motherboard - follow PRECISELY the updating instructions to the letter. You may want to pay someone to do that for you, as these professionals usually have the tools to recover the original BIOS is something goes wrong (very, very rare - but it can happens).

I haven't tested my gpu on other PC:s because i have just this one, don't have other PC:s

Yea i could update my bios but i am afraid of doing that, and here in finland there is not much professionals that can do that.

5 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

I can't offer much help unless you want me to write a mod!

Best of luck in solving your problem!

No thats too much work, 

thank you 

1 minute ago, AtomicTech said:

It really depends on the scope!

Want a 3.75m Cargo Bay? Easy!

Make a new rocket engine based off of the V-2/A-4? Not so easy!

yea if you have to something completely new its sooo hard and time taking

10 minutes ago, Noobi said:

Yea i could update my bios but i am afraid of doing that, and here in finland there is not much professionals that can do that.

Yeah, that can be a problem. Is pretty uncommon, but it can happens - and without technical support around, it's may be preferable to co-live with the problem to risk losing the computer, not to mention this !!##$#$ silicon shortage that it's making everything more expensive.

What's the version of the BIOS currently installed on your computer? With a bit of luck, by comparing the change log from your version and the newer ones we can find exactly what's borking and, with a bit more luck, can try a workaround (that probably will slow a bit your computer, but it's better than not being able to run KSP at all) 

2 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

No kidding! That's why I use existing models or ask @ColdJ nicely to make one.

Don't ask ColdJ, he sometimes makes stuff for himself but is not a Yoda level modder and is also busy with other stuff.

Mr @AtomicTech will no longer volunteer the services (especially without asking) of anybody if he likes to be their friend.

On 11/30/2021 at 2:23 AM, Noobi said:

What ? r5 3600 and rtx 2060 fits perfectly together. 

If my cpu is too underpowered why does other games work perfectly ? like apex legends runs at + 200 fps, while gpu at 80% and cpu at 50% 

Why ksp worked 2 months perfectly and then stopped working, I don't get it ?

If i have made wrong desicion on component picking, that had shown instantly when i got this pc 

Unless you added in anything to the mix between now and when you got KSP, nothing should have have changed unless there was a write error. If you have installed a fresh, pure vanilla, no mods of any kind, completely new game (no saves from the crashing one) and it is still happening. Then if you know someone with the same graphics card that will let you borrow it for an hour, pop their one in and see if the same thing happens. The only way to confirm what is causing a problem is to only change 1 thing at a time and see what happens. I was having all sorts of issues months ago and it turned out my old power supply was failing. It wasn't obvious at first that that was the problem, but a new one fixed all the issues.

On 12/2/2021 at 11:59 PM, Lisias said:

Yeah, that can be a problem. Is pretty uncommon, but it can happens - and without technical support around, it's may be preferable to co-live with the problem to risk losing the computer, not to mention this !!##$#$ silicon shortage that it's making everything more expensive.

What's the version of the BIOS currently installed on your computer? With a bit of luck, by comparing the change log from your version and the newer ones we can find exactly what's borking and, with a bit more luck, can try a workaround (that probably will slow a bit your computer, but it's better than not being able to run KSP at all) 

yeah 

My bios version is 3103 17.6.2020

On 12/3/2021 at 3:11 AM, ColdJ said:

Don't ask ColdJ, he sometimes makes stuff for himself but is not a Yoda level modder and is also busy with other stuff.

Mr @AtomicTech will no longer volunteer the services (especially without asking) of anybody if he likes to be their friend.

Unless you added in anything to the mix between now and when you got KSP, nothing should have have changed unless there was a write error. If you have installed a fresh, pure vanilla, no mods of any kind, completely new game (no saves from the crashing one) and it is still happening. Then if you know someone with the same graphics card that will let you borrow it for an hour, pop their one in and see if the same thing happens. The only way to confirm what is causing a problem is to only change 1 thing at a time and see what happens. I was having all sorts of issues months ago and it turned out my old power supply was failing. It wasn't obvious at first that that was the problem, but a new one fixed all the issues.

ok thats good idea but i can't try that because i have no other computers and no friends that have pc's, they have laptops

2 hours ago, Noobi said:

My bios version is 3103 17.6.2020

for the sake of completude, this is the release notes for the BIOS releases newer than yours:

* Version 4602, 2021/09/10, ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING BIOS 4602 
	+ Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch C
	+ Improve system performance

* Version 4502, 2021/08/03, ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING BIOS 4502 
	+ Support Windows 11 by default, no settings changes required in the UEFI BIOS.

* Version 4402, 2021/06/30, ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING BIOS 4402 
	+ Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch A
	+ Improve system stability

* Version 4301, 2021/03/29, ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING BIOS 4301 
	+ Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.1
	+ Support Smart Access Memory for Ryzen 3000 Series Processors

* Version 4204, 2021/01/29, ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING BIOS 4204 
	+ Support AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.0.
	+ Improve ReSizable BAR compatibility for NVIDIA RTX30 series graphics cards

* Version 4007, 2020/12/09, ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING BIOS 4007 
	+ New CPU support 
	+ Offer a Re-size BAR Support option to enhance GPU performance.

* Version 3103, 2020/06/23, ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING BIOS 3103 
	+ [E] Improve system performance. 
	+ Update AMD AM4 AGESA Combo PI V1 1.0.0.6"

Since your RTX is a 20xx, I don't think the Re-size BAR support is the problem (BAR is a protocol to allow the GPU to shove its memory into the CPU's memory bus - Base Address Register), as this is available for RTX 30 only.

So I'm guessing the problem may be the Ryzen 3000 "Smart Access Memory", that it is, in essence, how AMD calls the ReSizeable BAR!

SO our next step on this diagnosing fest is to check if anything is using the ReSizable BAR on your system, a situation where I think your Mobo's BIOS is borking. I found this, and in essence:

Go into device manager (run > devmgmt.msc), find your GPU under display adapters > Resources > Large Memory Range (something close to this effect) should be present. If it is, resize bar is operational.

Source.

If it's enabled, we need to find a way to force it to be off!

4 hours ago, Lisias said:

for the sake of completude, this is the release notes for the BIOS releases newer than yours:

* Version 4602, 2021/09/10, ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING BIOS 4602 
	+ Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch C

* Version 4502, 2021/08/03, ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING BIOS 4502 
	+ Support Windows 11 by default, no settings changes required in the UEFI BIOS.

* Version 4402, 2021/06/30, ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING BIOS 4402 
	+ Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch A
	+ Improve system stability

* Version 4301, 2021/03/29, ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING BIOS 4301 
	+ Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.1
	+ Support Smart Access Memory for Ryzen 3000 Series Processors

* Version 4204, 2021/01/29, ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING BIOS 4204 
	+ Support AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.0.
	+ Improve ReSizable BAR compatibility for NVIDIA RTX30 series graphics cards

* Version 4007, 2020/12/09, ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING BIOS 4007 
	+ New CPU support 
	+ Offer a Re-size BAR Support option to enhance GPU performance.

* Version 3103, 2020/06/23, ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING BIOS 3103 
	+ [E] Improve system performance. 
	+ Update AMD AM4 AGESA Combo PI V1 1.0.0.6"

Since your RTX is a 20xx, I don't think the Re-size BAR support is the problem (BAR is a protocol to allow the GPU to shove its memory into the CPU's memory bus - Base Address Register), as this is available for RTX 30 only.

So I'm guessing the problem may be the Ryzen 3000 "Smart Access Memory", that it is, in essence, how AMD calls the ReSizeable BAR!

SO our next step on this diagnosing fest is to check if anything is using the ReSizable BAR on your system, a situation where I think your Mobo's BIOS is borking. I found this, and in essence:

If it's enabled, we need to find a way to force it to be off!

I think resizeable bar is off (maybe) 

1 hour ago, Noobi said:

I think resizeable bar is off (maybe) 

I also found people complaining about using RTX on AMD 3000, and found two guys telling that they solved the problem by setting "maximum performance" in Nvidia Control Panel. Also found people saying to avoid using G-SYNC on Window mode.

Don't have the slightest clue if it will help, but it costs nothing to try.

I'm still digging about the ReSize BAR stunt, but apparently it would be a problem only on RTX30.

— — POST EDIT — — 

Check if you find something like "Event ID 14 nvlddmkm" on Event Viewer, I found people complaining about it when using a 2060 on a Ryzen 3000. Apparently, something about zen2 agesa/smu fighthing the PCIe Controller. If this is the case, the BIOS update appears to be the only choice remaining (as this is also mentioned on your BIOS Release Notes).

Edited by Lisias
post edit

@Noobi

I also would like to ask if you have tried a different video card/GPU on your machine?  Do you have the capability of taking this GPU and trying it on a different machine?  I know, I'm still focused on a hardware issue here; I'm just trying to (hopefully) eliminate all the problems I can!

17 hours ago, Lisias said:

I also found people complaining about using RTX on AMD 3000, and found two guys telling that they solved the problem by setting "maximum performance" in Nvidia Control Panel. Also found people saying to avoid using G-SYNC on Window mode.

Don't have the slightest clue if it will help, but it costs nothing to try.

I'm still digging about the ReSize BAR stunt, but apparently it would be a problem only on RTX30.

— — POST EDIT — — 

Check if you find something like "Event ID 14 nvlddmkm" on Event Viewer, I found people complaining about it when using a 2060 on a Ryzen 3000. Apparently, something about zen2 agesa/smu fighthing the PCIe Controller. If this is the case, the BIOS update appears to be the only choice remaining (as this is also mentioned on your BIOS Release Notes).

I have gpu on maximum performance already :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.