The why of your username or pfp in the forums

Kapitalizing Every Word

Having always been interested in spaceflight, I've always had that feeling of being stranded on Earth, especially as the space program didn't advance as fast as orginally envisioned. For accounts where there this username was already taken, I'd use strandedonearthsince1970, a bit of a mouthful, going back to the early oughts

As for the pfp, I use to use this friendly fellow:

yxMtfoQ.gif

Niven readers might know he was stranded on Earth for billions of years. Then I decided to switch to a little wordplay.

Edited by StrandedonEarth

On 11/11/2021 at 5:36 AM, Kapitalizing Every Word said:

Why did you choose your name and current pfp.

There is a long story to both of those questions, but here is the short version. Sivako is a Na’vi word meaning “rise to the challenge” (a good motto for all things in life I think). When I started playing games on Steam I adopted Sivako as my username. So when I stared using the forums I added Aerospace to the end of my username to make it sound more like a space company. My profile picture is a hybrid between a mark I saw in the Avatar movie and a mandalorian mark I saw on a helmet. I took elements from both then I digitally rendered my profile picture.

Edited by Sivako Aerospace
Fixed a grammar error

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The adventures of Lance Corporal Schmuckatelli and Corporal Binatz are legendary throughout the Corps.  Of the two, Joe Schmuckatelli is better known, and is often the cautionary tale.  He's a known Libbo Risk.

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

Username: I recently became inspired by Venus, the planet, not the god. The inspiration was too much that now i feel like i really need to explore Venus on my KSP-RSS install.

Profile Picture: Obviously Venus. Image taken by the Pioneer Venus Orbiter.

Edited by Venusian Explorer

• 2 weeks later...

My name was something I randomly chose after I tried a few others that were already taken. My picture is a screenshot of the homeworld from some planet pack, I forget which one. Later in that flight the ship glitched out and exploded, causing me to make the account to report it

My pfp is supposed to be the logo of my space program, Acorn Aeronautics. It got cropped when I was putting it in :(

My username... I just sat and thought for a while. I thought about a username I sometimes use called HighLeviathan (every time I use it it becomes a different word; HigherLeviathan, HighestLeviathan, then back again).

My username is from when I was in the RED PLANET RACING league. A lot of you are probably too young to remember it existed. There was a number of places that existed that had many fully interactive games. (I think it was called Virtual World) And RED Planet Racing was one of them (It was meant to be a place holder until Battlemech arrived, but that took a long time and it was very popular.) Blue Lightning was my colour scheme, A deep metalic blue and vivid yellow. You played in races or team games, racing hovercraft through mining facilities. You were in pods with multiple screens, full controls like in a helicopter and you could reprogram all the controls to your prefered set up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleTech_Centers

My PFP comes from the Fallout world where I lived for so long that the boy became a man and grew a long beard. Variations from then on are because I adapt and like a change every now and then.

On 2/1/2022 at 9:29 AM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

The adventures of Lance Corporal Schmuckatelli and Corporal Binatz are legendary throughout the Corps.  Of the two, Joe Schmuckatelli is better known, and is often the cautionary tale.  He's a known Libbo Risk.

Redwall?

1 hour ago, Akagi said:

Redwall?

You mean the novels?  No.

When Officers and StaffNCOs need a 'generic Marine name' to use as a cautionary tale, we typically use Joe Schmuckatelli.  He's usually a Lance Corporal, because that's the most common rank.  It's also the last rank where you can be 'one of the guys'.  Our Corporals are true NCOs, expected to demonstrate leadership qualities.

Typical scenario: 

You are the Sergeant of the Guard.  Cpl Binatz comes up to you to say he's found LCpl Schmuckatelli passed out in his truck with the engine running.  He can't get him to wake up.  On investigation you see Schmuckatelli has lipstick smeared all over his face and a 12-pack of empties lying on the passenger seat and floor.  There's a lit cigarette smoldering on the passenger seat.  Windows are up.  Doors are locked.

What do you do?

It can also work the other way:

You are a Squad Leader.  Your best Marine, LCpl Schmuckatelli is suddenly acting withdrawn and making mistakes atypical of himself and seems both hostile and resentful.  You pull him aside and talk to him.  After a while he admits that his FireTeam Leader, Cpl Binatz is harassing another Marine PFC Dingle.  She refuses to say anything, but when Schmuckatelli confronted Binatz, Binatz threatened to beat him up and give him extra duty if he said anything.  Binatz is also a stellar Marine and your best FireTeam leader.

What do you do?

• 1 year later...
On 11/11/2021 at 10:16 AM, adsii1970 said:

I took a identity brand marketing class (or actually, classes) required and paid for by a former employer. They paid for all that training, some 60 hours of it, then a year later, went bankrupt. 

So, in 2013, when I had to recreate my forum account, I decided to put what I learned into practice. Since 2017, every forum I'm a member of I use the same member name. I even own a url with that same identifier. 

Now, the avatar I use here? Folks seem to identify my user name with Beaker. But everywhere else, I'm using "&"

BEAKER'S BACK!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.