Working with Propellers. Need help....a lot of help

samuca

Hello guys.

I'm trying to understand the working logic of propellers and turboshafts.

I've watched some YouTube tutorials and read some posts by even so my experience with propellers is noto good by a long shot. :(

Even following tips my props doesn't seem to work right. I'm not even trying to use variable pitch yet, but I'm having a hard time.

First, the basics: when I place a propeller blade, do  need to do something, like rotating it, in order to it works?

My impression is that when you place the blades, it are mounted facing the wrong direction. 

With the blade retracted, in which direction the leading edge must be pointing? Straight forward? 

Is there a deploy angle where the torque is max out?  Even using all engine power, a simple plane struggles to lift off and stay in the air. :o 

What is the purpose of authority limiter?

I've read that CCW propellers must use inverse direction in order to positive pitch results in forward motion. I've tried so much combinations that I'm not sure what works and what doesn't.

When placed, the painted side of the propeller should be forward (for planes) or up (for helicopters) when the blades are not deployed or have 0 degrees of deployment angle.

When not deployed, generally the leading edge should be perpendicular to the motor axis.

Normally on Kerbin, you will not need to use the max torque. For efficient travel you should adjust the deployment angle (variable pitch) of the blades. But for a simple plane, this is not necessary. Just use a deployment angle between 15 and 30 degrees and the plane should work.

Authority limiter is how many degrees the blade can adjust itself to control yaw, pitch or roll. Normally this is not needed for planes, but is very useful for helicopters.

CCW propellers should be used when you use a CCW rotor.

These videos may help.

@Vanamonde Actually, I did, or, at least, there is one on the folder, but that one has a pitch controller and I want to understand how it works before using.

@Echo__3 thank you very much, It's exactly what I though :wink:, but as I place the blades, seems that it is always "backwards". I mean, the leading edge is pointing back instead of front.  So, I'll rotate the blades after placing them.