Advanced modding options

I also hope that the devs put in at least a simple mod management system. Maybe you can split your game into different profiles that compile different mods at launch, and then save files are specific to those profiles. Additionally, a mod list with an easy way to copy and share your mod list for playing with friends. And lastly, a way for servers to send their mod lists as part of an API request so that mod managing programs can install mods for a playing on a server. 

Something like CKAN integrated into KSP 2 would be very welcome.

I'll add that I love how easy it is to backup a modded copy of KSP 1. There's no intrusive copy protection so can I easily backup my entire KSP folder before upgrading KSP releases, or changing mod versions, or testing new mods. Nothing in the registry gets in the way. I can have multiple installs at the same time for mods that might require specific legacy versions of KSP.

I hope that all remains in KSP 2.

14 hours ago, Staticalliam7 said:

There should be a mod for this! @linuxgurugamer :wink:

No.  There are already some apps/mods which do this.

It's not that simple, the way that KSP was built, and the way that ModuleManager works, means that all the assets need to be read/loaded at game startup.

ModuleManager is a great mod, but the way it works makes it difficult to add/remove mods on the fly

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No.  There are already some apps/mods which do this.

It's not that simple, the way that KSP was built, and the way that ModuleManager works, means that all the assets need to be read/loaded at game startup.

ModuleManager is a great mod, but the way it works makes it difficult to add/remove mods on the fly

Ah ok

On 11/17/2021 at 11:35 PM, t_v said:

I also hope that the devs put in at least a simple mod management system. Maybe you can split your game into different profiles that compile different mods at launch, and then save files are specific to those profiles. Additionally, a mod list with an easy way to copy and share your mod list for playing with friends. And lastly, a way for servers to send their mod lists as part of an API request so that mod managing programs can install mods for a playing on a server. 

Strikes me KSP is a game that would benefit from "Tabs" each running a micro instance  of the game for the situation. Not just for multi-player but single player as well who might have missions running if different parts of the system, even entirely different systems. Very few games have this level of diverse contexts so it would seem to be better to take ideas from software that does than stick to the game UI designs that don't.

If there is that level of thinking to the new game and it certain seems like they are thinking multi-actor as the game basis then mods per save seems like a fit. 

I for one haven’t been playing KSP for very long I’ve been playing it from 1.10 To 1.12 I have about 100 hours and have never downloaded any mods but, this sounds like it will be very time saving for the inevitable time I download mods. Keep it up devs and good luck!