To The Stars! (In a roundabout way), or the story of the Sentinel Design Bureau

TRAPPIST-1E

Well, Well, Well. Another nation had the bold idea to start up a space program. Funds were allotted, engineers hired, and a suitable space center built. It was time for the great nation of United East Kerbonia to create the SENTINEL DESIGN BUREAU!

(flag below):

Ebbj1Sh.png

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapters:

Chapter 1 | Everyone has to Start Somewhere, Right?

Chapter 2 | Higher and Higher!

Chapter 3 | I'm BAAAAAACK

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This mission report is intended to be semi-serious, with a big dollop of realism and a big pinch of good o'l fashioned kerbal silliness. This is intended to last quite a bit longer than my last mission report, and my eventual goal is, as stated in the name, to go to the stars. You know, launch an interstellar ship the proper way, which I really haven't seen anyone really do yet. I'm also going to use a ton of mods, including Snacks-LS and 2.5X rescale. Anyways, lets go!

Edited by TRAPPIST-1E

CHAPTER 1: Everyone has to Start Somewhere, Right?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, as suggested in the title, everyone has to start somewhere, and we start out with basic sounding rockets. Unpaid grad students Engineers slaved for like 4 hours and 38 cups of coffee over this rocket. So, lets launch the Rangefinder MK1!

tueF2OV.png

Ignore the bad camera quality, Dundlorf Kerman was fiddling around with the focus.

E4Zlpf2.png

And so it takes off! Riding on a plume of fire and smoke.

rQTB9M1.png

What comes up must come down, I guess. Science was got and transmitted, and kerbalkind's first foray into the stars is complete. Unfortunately,  the PR team forgot to post the launch schedule right and noone showed up (I forgot to accept the "leave the launchpad" contract), and a second launch had to be conducted. It ended up looking the same as the first, until later in flight.

k4stABT.png

It began to tilt, and the crowds around the KSC began to scatter as the Rangefinder MK1 soared above.

YYcAqvx.png

It crashed onto the beach, probably ending some unfortunate kerbal's beach day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so Kerbalkind's first venture into rocket technology is complete. See you soon for the next chapter!

9 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

Hmmm looks good, followed! Question: what is the "proper way" as you call it to launch an interstellar spaceship?

Orbital assembly and off-Kerbin fuel production, with proper infrastructure. I may not get to the interstellar part though as KSP2 might come out before that :/

CHAPTER 2: Higher and Higher

The push to go higher has been taking over the Sentinel Design Bureau, leading to the construction of a better rocket. It has it all: Moar Science, Moar fins, and Moar BOOOOOOOOOSTEEEER!! It's name: The Rangefinder MK2.

EshO3z6.png

LWel5KP.png

Photo taken from the onboard camera.

tIlEILw.png

Coming down (rotated)

E9zpbBe.png

I don't even . . . HOW

After the successful high altitude flight of the Rangefinder MK2, a new sounding rocket had to be made. It's goal, space. It's name: Rangefinder MK2.5! (yes it's just a Rangefinder MK2 X 2)

urHkNM2.png

The largest and most powerful rocket ever (for now. . .)

NR91CRK.png

Accelerating at almost 2 gees

ax6WrkN.png

On-board camera footage, recovered from a film drop pod.

rPZpBvO.png

Stage sep and acceleration at 5 gees. Telemetry indicates anomalous heating.

J34QOP2.png

Last film image before canister auto-eject. It shows the fins and booster/avionics sphere casing desintegrating. "Okay, uhhhh, we've just lost contact with the rocket. final telemetry indicates uhhhhhhh, lets see, uhh 13 gees? I don't think that's good? We also seemed to be getting waaay too much heating before telemetry loss" -Mission control telemetry operator Delpha Kerman.

MoyoNtB.png

After 2 minutes of silence after contact with the rocket was lost, the workers at mission control were able to reestablish telemetry with the rocket. It was revealed that the insane acceleration and speeds of ascent low in the atmosphere had caused a new phenomenon called Compression Heating. It seems that any rocket that will need to reenter that atmosphere will need protection, especially ones traveling at orbital velocity.

A896uUy.png

Funnily enough, on descent the rocket approached at the perfect angle to act as a lifting body, swooping up and stalling midair. Perhaps lifting-body designs may be employed in the future for other things . . .

0jcpAVX.png

WHOOOOOOOOOSH!!

Anyway, that concludes chapter 2 of the story of the Sentinel Design Bureau. I do have a question though, would anyone like for me to upload my crafts used to KerbalX so anyone can use? I do have a ton of mods, with one custom part, though it's just a config file.

Edited by TRAPPIST-1E

• 2 weeks later...

CHAPTER 3: I'm BAAACK

After a short hiatus ( I discovered stellaris) the space program has been sending out flights one after the other. The following photos and images have been well upgraded due to the purchase of a color camera from Vinnie's corner store. The first bunch of launches consisted of a strange rocket design called the Rangefiner Sample Return System. Thanks to a shipping error causing the parachutes to be shipped to Kiberia, a rocket had to be designed that would return upper-atmospheric samples without parachutes. The result is this (btw, sorry about the background on the side of the images.):

K1ZCftB.png

Yeah. If you haven't guessed the purpose of the upper rocket engine, let me explain. due to a distinct lack of parachutes, a method to slow down before crashing had to be implemented. The upper rocket fires about 1.5 kilometers up and is destroyed upon ground impact, while the Crumpli-SafeTM SampleCageTM protects the precious samples. Why we couldn't just use a plane, I don't know. I'm just a media writer.

ICzbFIf.png

It's . . . going I guess?

epytD1R.png

Pitchover sucessful

bFYn2WD.png

Main engine fule depletion, secondary engine ignition

KjpNTPl.png

Safely landed? (I didn't use cheats I promise)

Additional flights below:

Spoiler

All of these go basicially the same as the first one.

oEDR14q.png

tq63H9y.png

nGDi9EW.png

oJ9ZYAx.png

oP9spic.png

1VT8A5h.png

iCunyoL.png

oaDM0Wc.png

1zkhvEK.png

See you tomorrow for Chapter 3: Part 2!

https://imgur.com/undefinedhttps://imgur.com/undefinhttps://imgur.com/imfjCtv

• 3 weeks later...

I accidentally logged into the save on a different modset and almost everything was deleted, also I didn't have backups. There is hope, I still have the modset for this mission report and I could recreate the like 2 satellites in orbit.

Edited by TRAPPIST-1E

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.